Thread: Hook Gap

Default Hook Gap

My wife and I will be in Soldotna starting the 20th of July. Plan to do some red fishing on our own this year and don't want to run afoul of the Troopers. I have seen a few reports on the Trooper website about people receiving tickets for hook gap violations (seems it was either 3/8" or 1/2"- can't remember offhand). I looked through the regs as best as I can, but did not see any reference to hook gap minimums / maximums on the Kenai or Kasilof for reds.
    Does anyone know if there is a minimum / maximum gap for either of those two rivers? Could you also provide a regulation number reference? Not that I don't believe or trust you, but HEY I do live in the SHOW ME STATE and it is hard to take it out of me!!!
    Thanks guys & gals.

RUSSIAN/KENAI Fly Fishing Only area and all of the Russian drainage has a maximum hook size of 3/8 inch gap from point to shank. In other parts of the Kenai River mainstem there isn't a hook size for flies. Also any weights on your leader for the FFO and Russian area must be a minimum of 18 inches ABOVE the hook/fly.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    My wife and I will be in Soldotna starting the 20th of July. Plan to do some red fishing on our own this year and don't want to run afoul of the Troopers. I have seen a few reports on the Trooper website about people receiving tickets for hook gap violations (seems it was either 3/8" or 1/2"- can't remember offhand). I looked through the regs as best as I can, but did not see any reference to hook gap minimums / maximums on the Kenai or Kasilof for reds.
    Does anyone know if there is a minimum / maximum gap for either of those two rivers? Could you also provide a regulation number reference? Not that I don't believe or trust you, but HEY I do live in the SHOW ME STATE and it is hard to take it out of me!!!
    Thanks guys & gals.
    Probably the easiest way to look this up is to go to the fishing regsg online (here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf). When they load, use the search function to search for the word "gap". It will send you right to all of the places it is noted.

Good on you for checking into this ahead of time. Good luck down there.

The 3/8" hook gap was adapted by the Board to make the hook gap uniform from Kenai lake to Skilak lake quite some time ago. So all the upper Kenai river is a 3/8" hook gap, not just the fly fishing only area. Page 50 in the regs. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    The 3/8" hook gap was adapted by the Board to make the hook gap uniform from Kenai lake to Skilak lake quite some time ago. So all the upper Kenai river is a 3/8" hook gap, not just the fly fishing only area. Page 50 in the regs. Tight lines.
    Interesting - I suppose you could still run some different presentations (weights/beads) that still make the FFO different from the rest of the area but I'm not sure why (at least for salmon) you would run a different technique. Just another reg variance to make you scratch your head a bit and hopefully not get you into some hot water. Why isn't the whole upper river just an FFO. Maybe a rainbow guy can tell me why so I can say "ahh".