Thread: We made it here

Default We made it here

Finally, all the selling and planning is mostly over and were sitting in a hotel in Anchorage bleeding cash
    We have jobs in wasilla and Palmer starting in the fall and need to find a decent rental (preferably on a fishable lake) in between them, the search starts tomorrow. We also need to find a cheaper place to live until we find the rental and a rental car that isnt outrageous by the end of the week until my truck arrives on 7/1. Anyone heard any inside information from a friend etc? Any ideas other than craigslist?
    thanks
    Ron

Wish I could help you out, when we moved up 14 years ago we were able to find a duplex to rent out in Wasilla within a week of arriving. You're probably going to have to bleed some cash until moving in July 1, or maybe spend your hotel$ on a nice tent and spend the next week in a campground.

Craigslist is probably your best bet, but driving around the valley and looking for rent or lease signs might be find you something in addition to Craigslist. You might want to check www.adn.com in the classifieds.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Also look at Alaskaslist.com for more rental and auto ideas...
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    Finally, all the selling and planning is mostly over and were sitting in a hotel in Anchorage bleeding cash
    We have jobs in wasilla and Palmer starting in the fall and need to find a decent rental (preferably on a fishable lake) in between them, the search starts tomorrow. We also need to find a cheaper place to live until we find the rental and a rental car that isnt outrageous by the end of the week until my truck arrives on 7/1. Anyone heard any inside information from a friend etc? Any ideas other than craigslist?
    thanks
    Ron
    I went through the same problems 2 years ago, a week at a hotel was worth about a months rent so I wanted to get a rental asap. The best way i found was craigslist. Thats awesome you already found a job, i lucked out and got one my first day here. good luck to you.

I know the bleeding cash deal. Moved up here at the end of July and paid outrageous hotel prices. Went to the peek inn( I think that's the name)in Palmer, it's not great but was like 400 for the week and we spent as much time driving and exploring as we could, best to do it before the grind of life starts. Crags list worked for us, not sure where you are looking but there are a few property managers In eagle river that were helpful to us.

WELCOME TO ALASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the input, will be looking at the adn and alaska list sites right now. were staying in a little place in wasilla right now and looking actively for a house. We've driven the Palmer-Wasilla hwy about 5 times in the last two days. I think the wife wants to focus on Wasilla instead of Palmer or 1/2 way in between (but beggers cant be choosy)

Try driving Wasilla Fishook. The place we rented was right off that road, not too far from Wasilla.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Rental car prices are going to be high, and since its tourist season....well. I would do a campsite as well. It will be cheaper in the long run, you can always get a shower somewhere until then.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Buy a bus, lol, then you have something to show for your money when you do find a place.

( I'm thinking the little lady is going " no way in heck " LOL )

Welcome to the land of where you have to teach the wife to love the way things happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Buy a bus, lol, then you have something to show for your money when you do find a place.

( I'm thinking the little lady is going " no way in heck " LOL )

Welcome to the land of where you have to teach the wife to love the way things happen here.
    I hear ya. she gets it but already had to take a bath on our house to get the freedom to move so isn't so happy about renting a crappy room with bags stacked to the rafters while looking for a rental. Some of the listings on craigslist are just BS, I responded to one 8 minutes after it was posted and never heard a word, not to mention the numerous ones I just never got a call back on. The few that were decent had neighbor dogs challenging us as we walked to the front door or smelled like cat pee inside. We have one decent one we can get but it is overpriced by several hundred according to the lady that represents the owner. Might just have to bite the bullet and tell the kid to get some scholarships.

Our first rental's previous tentants had been heavy smokers, and it had thick shag carpet. My wife suspected possible drug dealings out of the 6plex at the end of the court based on the heavy traffic. But compared to what we were paying and the size of the apartment we had in California, it was a huge step up. Also you stepped out the backyard into the woods, so not all bad. Not to mention it was available.

Sometimes crappy first digs are a great motivator to find what you really like, and it's going to take some time to get a feel for various neighborhoods etc.

I appreciate all the advice. We have a couple options now, so were feeling more optimistic that we'll be out of here soon. Had to take the original rental back to the airport today and watched the people dropping thier cars off and walking to the plane, praised God I don't have to do that this time. I just hated that walk to an 8 hour flight knowing I should be staying.

Look up double eagle real estate. They are on Palmer/Wasilla off of trunk road. Look them up and then ask for dawn. The number might be 357-1770. Better look it up though. Dawn is a great gal and has plenty of rentals.She is also the head of the real estate commission. They also sell houses on commissions too.Either way, you can't lose. Stay away from the car rental place near the RR depot in wasilla. They get everybody to buy them new windshields when you rent from them. I know from personal experience.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

My wife is leaving Dawn a message, thanks whop. I think we found the house though, across the new trunk rd. by the university about a mile from the glenn hwy. Nice place, nice landlord, hopefully it all works out. Just got back from looking at it and we are pumped up!
    thanks