Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever "GUIDE" rifles are a JOKE.

Thewolfwatching

Default Lever "GUIDE" rifles are a JOKE.

ROFL.. Love the tin foil hat for sure!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    Where did you get the Ultra mag and high powered scopes thing? You must be bored...and confused. Bolt action vs. lever, thats where we are now. Behind you? Are you walking with you rifle at the high-ready looking down the sights aiming at crap as you walk? Why? And if you are, yep, I'd definately be behind you.

Thewolfwatching

HA! Oh wait where do you live?? hang.. must read - again.. umm cause when your in the bush for 150 days out of the year and.. well, if you cant get your gun dirty and expect it to function than you're just SOL.. 53 posts and umm who are you arguing with?
    just spooky!!
    HAHA! Long Bow I bet you could unless a bear was charging your hind end heh.... and you just spent two weeks in the field without gun oil.. BAHAHA!! Love these folks! all sorts of humor..

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Want to compare a lever to a bolt (or pump)? How about automatic transmissions to manual? Tin roof to shingle? Jet vs. prop? I guarantee I can throw more rounds 100 yards and under, faster, more accurately then anything you have in your safe (or the guy you heard this from) in any condition. I have a safe full of bolts, autos, pumps and levers ... but take any of my levers ... give it the "abuse" your talkin' about and I will have NO PROBLEM. Besides what are you doing knee deep in a stream pouring water and sand down your action as a bear is about to charge? Before dismissing levers - I would ask yourself that question ... at that point - it's not the guns "fault". That's why Glock became so popular ... people became lazy and didn't want to care for their tools. I will take your bet.

Thewolfwatching

Not without inviting ME! Urgh.. my favoriate toy ever.. Hello.. Well, the SKS is my favoriate but... -weak smile-

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Sounds like we need to have a class project shoot-off, I'll bring my AK and show you both how it's supossed to be done. Water ,sand, mud let's play.

I like my bolt actions with my h&h I will only need 1 round, but if I am gonna play in the mud sand or silt I will take my AK
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

how about a ruger #1 its not a repeater but it uses a lever action to open the breach.

Rib-tickling funny stuff here...I like it! Money...bets...shoot-offs...bravado and braggadocio. Let's arm wrestle!

Here's a bet: Nobody will drop a dime. Nobody will ever meet face-to-face. Nobody will prove a thing, except they can talk a good game.

Maybe verbal shootouts count for something? The only thing that gets hurt is a reputation....

WOW! The old west must have been CLEAN place back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    Rib-tickling funny stuff here...I like it! Money...bets...shoot-offs...bravado and braggadocio. Let's arm wrestle!
    Yep, thanks everyone for the humor. I can see no better reason (no-holds barred) for taking one's guns and purposely abuse them in such a manner. I don't know which will be more entertaining from the perspective of the arm chair... the actual event or the excuses.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

While I am not willing to wager anything on something as pointless as this, I will make mention that I routinely carry a chopped Marlin Guide Gun, Winchester 94 Trapper, or Winchester 94 BB on the front of our ATV’s. the Wife usually rides with the Trapper on hers and I carry one of the others along with a .410 or maybe .22 depending on what we are doing. Anyway, my point is that I have road dozens of miles a day in all kinds of conditions and never experienced any sort of failure, with one exception… the front band screw on my Winchester BB vibrated loose and fell out over a 4 day ride that covered well over 100 miles. My point is, that these rifles have one main purpose for me, and that is to fulfill the primary defensive weapon role while we are out and about enjoying Alaska, and in the course of that duty they are not babied, pampered, or to be completely honest, cared for in any way. Aside from checking the barrel for mud, all I do is stand them muzzle down in the camper or tent every night so the water can drain out of them. I have had them covered in wind blown dirt, sand and glacial silt. I have had them submerged in muddy water, covered with salt spray, splattered with mud, filled with spilled beer and soda pop, dropped in the sand, the dirt and the rocks…heck, I think the baby even barfed on one once… nary a problem, not once, not ever.

Now, I aint saying that your bolt gun wouldn’t fair just as well, however I wouldn’t expect one of mine too. For one thing, my lever gun ammo all gets full length resized, brass is trimmed to minimum and loaded with cast bullets, I have also polished and slicked up the actions and fire-lapped the barrels. Combine that with generously sized chambers that are common for these lever guns, and I can cycle some pretty darn gritty ammo that would instantly tie up my bolt or pump guns. When I do bring one of the bolt guns it rides in a Kolpin Gun Boot because I want them to stay nice and to also protect the optics. I generally just neck size my bolt gun ammo and all of the tolerances on those rifles are far less than any lever gun I have ever owned. I shudder to think what would become of my delicate Remington trigger assemblies if I treated them to the same abuse as my Marlin or Winchester, not to the mention tight tolerances on my Winchester Model 70 safety.

All that said, I think I will stick to my lever guns for the really abusive and dirty environments, but to each his own.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post
    WOW! The old west must have been CLEAN place back in the day.
    We were all thinkin' it...but haff said it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    What is wrong with you? Honestly... you must be a very lonely man. Entire thread was started merely to start an argument. I agree with "Guns are tools. Tools have specialties." Fire away. I'm unsubscribing to this thread immediately after hitting the "post" key.
    Agree 100%.

Well, thats what makes these arguments so entertaining. So some more points:

I think lever actions have less room for error in handling and are tougher to maintain for most guys. but believe it or not I have jammed some bolt actions also always cause of operator error cause they were plenty clean. The most common way is under pressure I "short shift" or dont get the bolt all the way back before cycling. The other way is reloading errors in seating depth and chamfering have caused problems also. Supposedly lever actions have less room for these error also. But calling guide guns a joke is one way to get a discussion goin...I am just saying if you screw up a lot or are not an expert you might want to stick to a bolt....
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Obvious Troll is Obvious...
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Mike's Definitions:
    Bolt gun - the one I take when I am looking for something that breathes with the intent of making the breathing stop.
    Lever gun - the one I take when something/body may possibly be looking for me with similar intent.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanman View Post
    Obvious Troll is Obvious...
    I signed up just so I could let these folks know that somebody with experience isn't snapping at the flashing spinner bait. What a HOOT!

I have hunted with a .35 rem lever for years. I love it. I also have bolts with scopes for open country hunting. Thick cover i will take my lever any day of the week. I have hunted in snow, rain, freezing rain and never had a problem. mud and swamps as well. Just my .02

Thats why I love the revolver,just keep pulling the trigger till one of you dies
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thewolfwatching

As always Amigo lol.. thumbs up and I dont need one of those stupid animated smile faces to express it!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Thats why I love the revolver,just keep pulling the trigger till one of you dies

This is almost like which round is better for deer, 30-06 or .270? Use what works best for you and the environment you hunt. Just so long as you hunt.

My point is: Lever "GUIDE" Guns are a Joke: I will invest as much money as you choose to wager. We take your lever gun of choice and my Winchester Model 70 and fill both with ammo. Then open the action of both and drop in one handful of silt then add one handful of soupy silt & water. We will be standing knee deep in a creek or the ocean. The first man to discharge a shot wins all the money.
    Dropping silt and water into an open action is a brilliant idea. In many years of hunting, and shooting, as well as military service I have just never seen any value in this technique.

Old guys at ranges do have some funny quotes, I will give you that. But their opinions are pretty much useless as well.

I think you should practice your silt drill a couple times, maybe post some results for us. We could make a sort of postal match out of it. You post up some times and targets for us as a bench mark, and we can go from there.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast