Thread: Lever "GUIDE" rifles are a JOKE.

Default Lever "GUIDE" rifles are a JOKE.

If you want to be a cowboy that is fine, even if you want to pretend that you are a cowboy that is fine also. But I would NOT have a lever action so called "Guide Gun" in any cartridge run up my butt even if I had room for a sawmill. That quote stolen from the old man who owned the Rabbit Creek Range back when it was private.

My point is: Lever "GUIDE" Guns are a Joke: I will invest as much money as you choose to wager. We take your lever gun of choice and my Winchester Model 70 and fill both with ammo. Then open the action of both and drop in one handful of silt then add one handful of soupy silt & water. We will be standing knee deep in a creek or the ocean. The first man to discharge a shot wins all the money.

If you can't field strip your firearm and reassemble in under 60 seconds you will know the shortcoming of lever guns. Note: I own and love lever guns. But if you are on the beach in 40 MPH to 60 MPH gusts you learn how quickly a firearm can become packed solid with blowing silt.

I agree with this. Many guys use lever guns for hunting, but bolt actions are the only gun I hunt with. I am not a guide, but if I was, I would trust a bolt over a lever any day.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Back in the day guides used them because of the bigger bullets like 45/70 and 405win but the 1903 springfield kinda put a end to it. I also believe the smaller the parts the faster to gunk up and a bolt gun will go south as fast as a lever gun. You either have time to clean or you don't and no bear or human is going to give you 60 seconds for a cleaning if needed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I agree with AGL4now....that within the last 200+ client-hunter kills I have witnessed, the only two guns to "jam" and not discharge with lever action guns. On both occasions I slid my bolt action "guide gun", Big Ugly, over to a very panicing client and then the gun, my gun being handled/used by the client-hunter, discharged and the critter fell over dead.

I am not a fan of lever action guns for the hunting conditions routinely experienced in Alaska.

Want to compare a lever to a bolt (or pump)? How about automatic transmissions to manual? Tin roof to shingle? Jet vs. prop? I guarantee I can throw more rounds 100 yards and under, faster, more accurately then anything you have in your safe (or the guy you heard this from) in any condition. I have a safe full of bolts, autos, pumps and levers ... but take any of my levers ... give it the "abuse" your talkin' about and I will have NO PROBLEM. Besides what are you doing knee deep in a stream pouring water and sand down your action as a bear is about to charge? Before dismissing levers - I would ask yourself that question ... at that point - it's not the guns "fault". That's why Glock became so popular ... people became lazy and didn't want to care for their tools. I will take your bet.

Sounds like we need to have a class project shoot-off, I'll bring my AK and show you both how it's supossed to be done. Water ,sand, mud let's play.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Want to compare a lever to a bolt (or pump)? How about automatic transmissions to manual? Tin roof to shingle? Jet vs. prop? I guarantee I can throw more rounds 100 yards and under, faster, more accurately then anything you have in your safe (or the guy you heard this from) in any condition. I have a safe full of bolts, autos, pumps and levers ... but take any of my levers ... give it the "abuse" your talkin' about and I will have NO PROBLEM. Besides what are you doing knee deep in a stream pouring water and sand down your action as a bear is about to charge? Before dismissing levers - I would ask yourself that question ... at that point - it's not the guns "fault". That's why Glock became so popular ... people became lazy and didn't want to care for their tools. I will take your bet.
    OK, YOUR on. My guess is that you will back out, there is no way you can field strip a lever gun. I got money and I WILL but my money where my mouth is. I doubt that you will, but we will see. And to be clear I walk my lever guns 1892's twice a day. I love lever guns. But the mechanism is way too complex for serious wilderness work. I will be impressed if you can get your lever gun to discharge in less than 15 minutes, if at all with no tools.

Too answer your question spend 81 straight days on the beach in unit #9 from Aug 6'th to Oct. 27'th or on the rivers like the Dog Salmon River and you will have your firearm packed solid with wind blown silt, several time per day. I am willing to take your money, with a little practice I think I can get my Model 70 disassembled and reassembled in about 45 seconds. I think you will be taking yours home and then to a gunsmith for repair.
    And right now I must take my 1892 "Takedown" .45 Long Colt for a walk up in the meadows behind the cabin.

And then there is the DR with a set of spare locks
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My antique lever action 45-70 is way cool... But my ruger mk ll .338 is way dependable.... And was my "guide gun" for 8 years....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The word 'guide' is to hunting as 'tactical' is to the black rifle folks. Neither means much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    The word 'guide' is to hunting as 'tactical' is to the black rifle folks. Neither means much.
    Well stated... Points to you!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Yes, I'll buy that, kind of like the word "Magnum"

Red face

I'll shoot ten times before you shoot four. Period.
    Stop it while you are only a frustrated moment ahead.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'll take that challenge also.

Take your ultra mags with high power scopes into the brush to follow a blood trail. I'll take my guide gun with iron sights. By the time we take 20 steps I'll bet you're behind me. Guns are tools. Tools have specialties. Take the one that fits your mission and accept that other folks have different priorities.

I must be bored. If I wasn't before I am now.

Standing knee deep in water...even dirty water, I would immediately squat down and simply slosh either piece around a few times, sling off the excess water and blow through the barrel...work the action and start shooting...Actually have a little bit of first hand experience in doing just that...Old Indian Trick!!!
    I love Cowboy Guns!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    By the time we take 20 steps I'll bet you're behind me..
    I'll take that bet also. And I'll wager $25,000.-- because I am sure I have more experience at it than you do, that is if you have any experience at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Stop it while you are only a frustrated moment ahead.

Taylor
    Marc, I'd like to get in on this. Ten times huh? How many cartridges does your "guide gun" hold. My 375, 338, 30-06... all hold at least four rounds and I've spent a heckuva lot of time carrying around a bolt action M24 and can shoot it faster than I ever imagined i'd need to. So I'll take that bet; One caveat though, this ain't horeshoes so close does not count, only hits. shootin' off a few rounds in the air like Yosemite Sam counts for squat.

what's the wager? What's the target and distance? A target not sitting still is what separates the rock stars from the groupies.

I agree with you for the most part AGL4now but those are fighting words you posted. Don't be surprised if someone also challenges you to a good old as*-kickin' contest ta boot.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I'll take that bet also. And I'll wager $25,000.-- because I am sure I have more experience at it than you do, that is if you have any experience at it.
    What is wrong with you? Honestly... you must be a very lonely man. Entire thread was started merely to start an argument. I agree with "Guns are tools. Tools have specialties." Fire away. I'm unsubscribing to this thread immediately after hitting the "post" key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Take your ultra mags with high power scopes into the brush to follow a blood trail. I'll take my guide gun with iron sights. By the time we take 20 steps I'll bet you're behind me. Guns are tools. Tools have specialties. Take the one that fits your mission and accept that other folks have different priorities.

I must be bored. If I wasn't before I am now.
    Where did you get the Ultra mag and high powered scopes thing? You must be bored...and confused. Bolt action vs. lever, thats where we are now. Behind you? Are you walking with you rifle at the high-ready looking down the sights aiming at crap as you walk? Why? And if you are, yep, I'd definately be behind you.