Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limit/Possession Trivia

Talking Limit/Possession Trivia

If the crew and captain eats a fish, does it count or has it been "processed"?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Even if a fish is "processed", if you have caught the legal limit you are done for the day.

Not only are you done fishing for that species for the day, you are usually done for the day in any water open for that species. You can't just switch to fishing for another species. Catch a king at Sheep ck, and you can't fish the lower Willow for trout the same day. There are exceptions, but know for sure before trying it!

I'd like to see the reg surrounding that particular point. I just don't believe it to be true.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I'd like to see the reg surrounding that particular point. I just don't believe it to be true.
    From the regs......

Once you have retained a king salmon 20” or longer, you may no longer fish in any waters open to king salmon fishing on that same day. The daily limit for king salmon 20” or longer is 1 per day/1 in possession; less than 20”
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Stid. The reg jives with the example used about kings, but it only applies to kings... in fresh water, in South Central. To get back to the OP.

A possession limit is the maximum number of unpreserved fish you can possess.

The definition of preserved is " fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted."

By the strict letter of the law I don't think a consumed fish is considered fit for human comsumption after a 15-day period. The other thing to consider is, are you allowed to head and gut that particular species while on the water.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Counts against your limit, if all of it's been consumed, it no longer counts against posession.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Thanks Stid. The reg jives with the example used about kings, but it only applies to kings... in fresh water, in South Central. To get back to the OP.
    I should have paid attention to which forum the thread was in! I would wonder how one can posess their fish and eat it also (or was that cake?)
    There are some saltwater equivalents, however. You limit and possession for coho is 6 a day in Ressurrection Bay but not outside of it. You can't fish for anything outside of the bay if you have 3 coho in possession.

SC regs page 57 north gulf coast:

Resurrection Bay: North of a line from Aialik Cape to Cape Resurrection
    • A person may possess only the limit of fish allowed for the water on which that personis fishing (see page 4). For example, possession of more than 3 coho salmon outsideResurrection Bay
    (south of a line from Aialik Cape to Cape Resurrection) exceedsthe North Gulf Coast salt waters possession limit for this species. It is illegal to fishfor any species in these waters with more than 3 coho salmon in your possession.• Lingcod fishing is prohibited year-round. Lingcod caught accidentally must bereleased immediately. You cannot legally fish for any species of fish inside
    Resurrection Bay if you possess a lingcod taken elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    I should have paid attention to which forum the thread was in! I would wonder how one can posess their fish and eat it also (or was that cake?)
    There are some saltwater equivalents, however. You limit and possession for coho is 6 a day in Ressurrection Bay but not outside of it. You can't fish for anything outside of the bay if you have 3 coho in possession.

SC regs page 57 north gulf coast:

Resurrection Bay: North of a line from Aialik Cape to Cape Resurrection
    • A person may possess only the limit of fish allowed for the water on which that personis fishing (see page 4). For example, possession of more than 3 coho salmon outsideResurrection Bay
    (south of a line from Aialik Cape to Cape Resurrection) exceedsthe North Gulf Coast salt waters possession limit for this species. It is illegal to fishfor any species in these waters with more than 3 coho salmon in your possession.• Lingcod fishing is prohibited year-round. Lingcod caught accidentally must bereleased immediately. You cannot legally fish for any species of fish inside
    Resurrection Bay if you possess a lingcod taken elsewhere.

I believe you meant to say "more than 3 coho", right?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

you're right! I did mean MORE than 3.

We consume a portion of our possesion limit on rockfish all the time. Our trips are always multiday affairs (PWS) and although I rarely target rockfish we almost always catch some. And, we often have some for dinner that night which I've always considered as removing them from our possesion limit.

My understanding is that if you catch more than 3 silvers inside Resurrection Bay, then not only can you not fish outside of Resurrection Bay, you can't even BE outside Resurrection Bay because you are over your posession limit for that species when you're outside the bay. So you can't catch more than 3 silvers and then head outside the bay to fish for halibut, ling, etc. Best bet is to catch your 3 silvers and then head outside the bay to fish for halibut and rockfish and then catch your remaining 3 silvers once you get back inside the bay. But if you caught and kept a ling from outside the bay, then you can't fish for anything at all once your return to the bay. I wonder if fishing regs are this convoluted in the Lower 48.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    My understanding is that if you catch more than 3 silvers inside Resurrection Bay, then not only can you not fish outside of Resurrection Bay, you can't even BE outside Resurrection Bay because you are over your posession limit for that species when you're outside the bay. So you can't catch more than 3 silvers and then head outside the bay to fish for halibut, ling, etc. Best bet is to catch your 3 silvers and then head outside the bay to fish for halibut and rockfish and then catch your remaining 3 silvers once you get back inside the bay. But if you caught and kept a ling from outside the bay, then you can't fish for anything at all once your return to the bay. I wonder if fishing regs are this convoluted in the Lower 48.
    You're close... if you catch more than 3 salmon inside the bay, you can still BE outside the bay, you just can't fish outside the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You're close... if you catch more than 3 salmon inside the bay, you can still BE outside the bay, you just can't fish outside the bay.
    Right you are. I called F&G to confirm just to make sure. Funny thing is that the first person I talked to told me I can catch 6 inside and then go outside and STILL FISH as long as I released the fish if they were silvers. Then another F&G person overheard the conversation and took over the call to set things straight. I wonder how many people call in and get the person who provides the wrong answers and then gets into trouble later on when they're fishing. It's up to the individual to understand and abide by the regs, but sometime they're so vague that you have to ask for clarification.

Once when camping at Valdez, I caught days limit of silvers- we went to the camp ground and cooked and consumed two of the fish (there was six of us there). The next day as I was filleting out two more fish, I was questioned by a State Trooper over how many salmon I had in possesion. Seems like somebody thought I was cleaning too many fish that weekend. He, the Trooper, even counted the fillets in my freezer. He even commented on how hard frozen most were, but still gave me a verbal "warning" about keeping more than a legal possesion limit.
    Goes to show you that anybody can read the regs differently, I had always thought that frozen was preserved!

Chris

POSSESSION is unpreserved fish...right?
    It's my understanding you can keep two limits of halibut and rockfish [possession] Cook Inlet and NGC/Ressurection Bay and pretty much two limits of everything except Dollies and sharks in PWS.
    Otherwise, what's the advantage of staying out over night as the wife and I plan on doing on our next trip.

possession limit
    the maximum number of unpreserved fish a
    person may have in possession.
    preserved fish-fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existingstate of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored
    in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

PWS = DOUBLE POSSESSION ON EVERYTHING BUT DOLLIES, AND SHARKSKing salmon. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . 2 per day/4 in possession,
    no size limit
    Other salmon, no size limit
    . . . . entire year . . . . . . . 6 per day/12 in possession
    only 3 per day/3 in possession may be coho (silver) salmon
    Lingcod
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 1–Dec. 31. . . . . . . 2 per day/4 in possession
    minimum 35” long with head attached, or 28”or greater in length with head removed
    Rockfishes
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 1–Sept. 15. . . . . . 4 per day/8 in possession
    only 2 per day/2 in possession may be non-pelagic (see chart on page 10)
    Sept. 16–April 30. . . . . . 8 per day/8 in possession
    only 2 per day/2 in possession may be non-pelagic (see chart on page 10)The first two non-pelagic rockfish caught must be retained.
    Rainbow/steelhead and
    2 per day/2 in possession
    cutthroat trout
    . . . . . . . . . . . . June 15–April 14. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . only 1 over 20”
    Arctic char/Dolly Varden
    . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . 10 per day/10 in possession
    Halibut
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Feb. 1–Dec. 31 . . . . . . 2 per day/4 in possession
    Sharks
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession
    Other finfish. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . no bag or possession limit

North Gulf Coast and RESSURECTION BAY Salt Waters = ONLY HALIBUT AND ROCKFISH HAVE DOUBLE POSSESSION LIMITS
    King salmon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession
    A
    but see exceptions below
    Other salmon
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 per day/6 in possession
    A
    but see Resurrection Bay exception below
    Rainbow/steelhead trout
    . . . . . . entire year— 20” or longer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession—less than 20”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no bag or possession limit
    Lingcod
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 1–Dec. 31 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession
    minimum of 35” long with head attached, or 28” fromtip of tail to front of dorsal fin with head removed
    A
    but see Resurrection Bay exception below
    Rockfish
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 per day/8 in possession
    only 1 per day/2 in possession may be non-pelagic (see chart on page 10)
    Dolly Varden
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 per day/5 in possession
    Halibut
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Feb. 1–Dec. 31. . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 per day/4 in possession
    Sharks
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession
    Other finfish . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no bag or possession limit

Cook Inlet = ONLY HALIBUT & ROCKFISH HAVE DOUBLE POSSESSION LIMITS
    King salmon
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year–North of the latitude of Anchor Point light (59°46.142’N) . . . . . . . . . .1 per day/1 in possession–outh of the latitude of Bluff Point (59°40’N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 per day/2 in possession–etween Anchor Point light and Bluff Point. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 1-September 30. . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . October 1-March 31 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 per day/2 in possession
    Other salmon
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 per day/6 in possession
    Lingcod
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 1–Dec. 31 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 per day/2 in possession
    must be at least 35” long with head attached or 28” from tip of tail to front of dorsal fin with headremoved
    Rockfishes
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 per day/10 in possession
    only 1 per day/2 in possession may be non-pelagic (see chart on page 10)
    Rainbow/steelhead trout
    . . . . . . . . . entire year–North of a line from Cape Douglas to Point Adam. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NO RETENTION
    –In all salt waters south of a line from Cape Douglas to Point Adam,west of the longitude of Gore Point, and north. . . . . . . 20” or longer, 1 per day/1 in possessionof the latitude of Cape Douglas:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . less than 20”, no bag or possession limit
    Dolly Varden
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 per day/5 in possession
    Halibut
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Feb.1–Dec. 31. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 per day/4 in possession
    Spiny dogfish
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 per day/5 in possession
    Other Sharks
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 per day/1 in possession
    Other finfish. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . entire year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no bag or possession limit

PWS = DOUBLE POSSESSION ON EVERYTHING BUT DOLLIES, AND SHARKSKing salmon.

That's wrong. For both silver salmon and non-pelagic rockfish your possesion limit is the same as the daily limit. That's why we often have rockfish for dinner, so we can keep more the next day if we hook some. We rarely target rockfish but seem to catch them anyway and with a limit of just 2 it's not too hard to accidently catch your limit. It would be a shame to have to toss one back that you know isn't going to survive just to stay within your possesion limit.

Copy that...see the silver limit and feel the same way about killing those rockfish. Luckily we haven't been in that situation yet.

So if I have a freezer on board and freeze the fish they are no longer on consider in possesion....correct? I hope so because that is what I do on multi day trips. It does not change my daily limit. I think a small chest freezer and a generator, usually put it up on shore, would qualify as fit for consumption after 15 days??????

Sweet set-up. If they are frozen you are good! They are then off your posession limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast