Thread: Juneau report from last week's trip.

Default Juneau report from last week's trip.

Just got back home from my trip to the Juneau area. Pinks, chums, kings and an early silver were caught by our group. I targeted halibut exclusively since I have plenty of silver and sockeye in the freezer already. I was not disappointed with my first time visit to the area. On the contrary it was a solid 10 of an experience. Tons of trollers around Homeshore. First day out 2 minutes from the dock my buddy hooks into a 150# hali in 114 feet of water. WHAT an explosive fish fight. We shark hooked it to subdue it and it was like psycho rinse on a washing machine while cleated to the hull before batting practice stunned it. After bonking it I said to my partner. "this is like the movie Jaws, except instead of needing a bigger boat, we needed a bigger bat!"

I limited daily and brought home plenty of meat for the family and friends to share. Caught a couple of quillbacks and dozens and dozens of throwback rockfish in water up to 200 feet. Didn't need to go deeper for good size chicken keepers. Mine ranged from 20s to 60 pounds.

Lots of whales seen and one unexpected VERY close encounter that I would not want to repeat. Water was glass many days with pleasant weather.
    Steve-O
    .P6150112.jpgP6130048.jpg

Awesome report! How did the felt alternative boots work out?
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Also-you have my email address. If you don't mind sharing-let me know how you got those chum and the silver.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Non-felt soles: I was on a boat the whole week and dressed as you see me. Wearing Wellies (muck boots). The others wore the same or Extra-tufs. The brown and white rubber boot known as the Alaskan tennis shoe. We never got into fresh water as the salmon are ALL in the salt still.

Salmon were all caught either casting off the dock with pixies and the like or casting Kwikfish or Flatfish lures. On the boat they were caught trolling downriggers , flashers and green hoochies with the herring tip or the plastic thingey you insert a herring into and secure with a toothpick. Slow 2MPH speed is the ticket. Depth at 60 or less. Hope this helps.

Halibut were caught either jigging lead heads or spreader rig with whole herring. Hook the herring a third up from the tail, slide it onto the hook some then pierce the herring again through the spine and slide it around so the head ends up point straight down if you held the line up. Halibut and other fish like to swallow their food head first to avoid backwards facing fins. Good luck on your trip.

Steve-O

Two fresh chums caught, steaked and smoked.P6150156.jpg

PS- I took several hundred pics and underwater video on my GoPro Hero HD camera. I rigged a sliding mount, clipped it on the line when a halibut was hooked and through the camera overboard. It was a risk but the camera and fish came up each time. I will post if asked but don't want to kill the bandwidth with braggin' pics.

I consider this more of a Hoonah or Gustavus report.

Fishing from Excursion Inlet is much better than in Juneau. Kind of an apples vs oranges thing.

Good to see you had sucess though. Underwater camera sounds pretty kewl.

I remember when Charles White came to town and was showing video of salmon coming into a downrigger setup. And this being 20+ years ago.

I knew a guy that rigged a camera on a downrigger clip to his halibut line. He'd video the halibut striking the bait. A quick jerk of the line would release the camera and he could fight the fish.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.