Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian River report?

Default Russian River report?

How is the fishing like at Russian River?

So far, the numbers are down, but there are fish moving up. I went Saturday and you could've filled the Rose Bowl with all of the people out there. It all depends on where you fish and where the fish are. I floated the upper Kenai so I went to where the fish were and limited out pretty quickly.

I am on my way there tomorrow. Hopefully there will be no crowds down there. Even if the number sucks, a bad day of fishing is better than a god day at work.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I was down there over the weekend, came home empty. We heard that there was a good-sized slug of fish that went up the Russian on Friday, but we got there too late for that rodeo. Got down to the river at about 6 on Saturday morning, and in about two hours saw four or five fish go by. During the day, very little happening. Ran into a buddy who went down to the powerline on the Kenai and got his three in about four hours. Some folks were getting fish below the ferry in the shoulder-to-shoulder fishery. On Sunday, hit the river at about 6 again, again no luck. Sometime in the early afternoon a big bunch of fish left the sanctuary and for a while, the area just above the sanctuary was a madhouse. Lots of people, lots of fish, but by the time we got there at about 3, it had died. Nuts. Anyway, as usual, all you've got to do is be in the right place at the right time. How tough is that? Good luck, all, and let's keep the info flowing.

Went down saturday evening through yesterday. Was slow but I got my limit. The bear and her cubs were out most of the day on sunday roadside bend south of the ferry. A little patience, skill and some luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That same bear was there a week ago up near the falls. Looking for carcasses I imagine.

Made the trip on Friday and got there around 130pm. Fished the Russian until about 3pm but it seemed pretty slow so we walked down the Kenai past the ferry and found a good spot around the bend where people weren't @$$hole to elbow. Myself and two other guys hooked into about 30 fish in 4-5 hours but ended up only keeping 3 total because most were hooked in the tails/fins and aren't legal to keep but lots of fun to play on the fast river. On our hike back across the confluence/Russian we saw about 2500 fish in the confluence and we were just about crossing the river on the backs of the fish they were so thick through the mouth of the Russian. I imagine that they will begin pushing strongly up the river in the next 7-14 days, but as stated in a previous poster's comment, the key is being in the right place at the right time and soaking your line. Cant catch fish with your line high and dry, tight lines and full freezers to everyone!

-Rich M.

Just heard from a bud fishing the Russian today. He did great and said big slugs of fish were heading up the river. He and his family limited out quickly (Tuesday). Wish I could head down tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Just heard from a bud fishing the Russian today. He did great and said big slugs of fish were heading up the river. He and his family limited out quickly (Tuesday). Wish I could head down tomorrow!
    This is awesome news. I am going tomorrow (Wed) morning. Just got done putting on new line and leader on the new reel. Hope there is more fish than people down there!! Will let ya guys know how I did.

Tight Lines Everyone!!

Sweet!!!!! we will be down on Thur. and fish until Sun.What about the Russian can we fish up high?

Slow slow very slow is the fishing today. But beats work.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Slow slow very slow is the fishing today. But beats work.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    So if your quote on the bottom is correct then the fishing should be fantastic! Heading down Thursday night!!

I saw on a thread in the SALTWATER forum that a section of the Russian is closed because of a bear.

no not the russian just the woods, you have a 25 feet from the river to the woods you can travel threw.

It's not on the Russian at all. It's actually on the Kenai river, but by the parking lot for the ferry.

The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

When does the confluence open?

based on the numbers actually beyond the weir at this time - I would put a nickel on the confluence opening on schedule - July 15 (as long as the sum of the fishery stays open).

I agree with salmon-30-salmon. I am still waiting for another good year like 2009 just two years ago to the day I remember packing 12 fillets a day after they raised the bag limit to 6 probably not going to happen.

I just got back from the Russian very early this morning. I got my limit, but it was slow going. I fished just downstream where the marker begins (down stream of the falls) about a 1/4 mile or so. They were thick as thieves by the time I was heading out. There was hardly anybody fishing with me at my honey hole. I had it to myself most of the time. Did see a black bear and got reports from downstream there is a Brown Sow with a cub in the area. Overall most people had two or three Reds they were taking home.

Thanks for the update Shoedawg.
    I'm sure your helping more than just me plan my weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast