Thread: Lower River Kenai Kings

Default Lower River Kenai Kings

I normally don't fish for kings on the kenai pre-bait but I decided to give it a try this weekend... with little luck. Hardly any boats on the river, which was nice. I tried all of the standard holes on the lower river working from Poachers to Beaver Creek. Managed to have a couple take downs, but no real action. Anyone have any advice for fishing early season or fishing in low and clear water (like we're seeing now)?
    Does anyone have any luck bouncing without bait in the early season? With the big tides this last weekend I was tempted to give it a try but didn't.

We managed to put 2 small ones in the box last Monday, in 4 hrs. of fishing. I think with the water the way it is the fish get spooked from motors. Your choice of lure size will change your luck as well. I for one would like to see the river remain slow and low all season,sure is nice rowing!

no kidding, that water is super clear all the way up to skilak. I would throw a fly at the reds and they would spread like wild fire.

The guides I know have given up on the Kenai for now, for what its worth.