Thread: Kings River fun run

Default Kings River fun run

If you are a solid class II boater, I mean it, the lower section of the lower canyon of the Kings River is a super trip.
    The run is continuous class II from the put-in, to the road, and is mixed with sections of class II+.

A few of us discovered this put-in a few years back, while setting safety for rafting the big drop, Gotta give er, (which is on youtube) and this opened up a new run for those who cannot boat the harder stuff upstream.

Go up Permanante Road, a few miles, and down the long hill with a big deep mud puddle, at the bottom, with a trail forking to the left. Take the left fork and head towards the river. There are two forks you will take to the right, starting, after you walk about three fourths of a mile. You will wind through the woods and will eventually parallel the river. Continue until you see a couple of rocks, about a foot and a half across, then walk through the brush going slightly left,and you will see the crack in the canyon, and... your put-in.

I have done this section 6 times at flows from about 200- 800cfs, and flow makes a difference, between waves or rock dodging. Anything over 500 cfs is pretty splashy in the canyon, but short on eddies, for periods of time, in the section after the canyon, which poses problems with keeping larger groups together.

There is no other way out of the canyon but downstream, so once you are in, there is only one way out.

After the canyon ends there is a river wide strainer about two miles downstream, go right, (along the right bank), AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT, do not try and ferry over at the last minute, it is very rocky as you approach it. If you do this, it is a safe and easy portage.

I prepared my kids by running the redgate section, at lower flows,around 350 650 cfs, until they were bored, and this year, their second year, they ran it at high flows 1150cfs. With this said, although the redgate does have two bigger rapids, than any thing on the Kings fun run, many rapids on the Kings fun run are close to class III at good flows. The near class III whitewater, combined with its continuous nature, makes it harder mentally for beginning boaters.

We had an excellent time, and this should be a great trip for those who can shuttle their gear, or use packrafts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Kings River fun run

Afew more pics of the trip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a blast Mark. Would love to step up my packraft rapids game a bit by going with some more experienced boaters sometime.

Another Option for this one, is to park at the bridge and bike/ run / hike up the Kings River ATV trail (north side of the river) to where it ends (at the downstream end of the canyon) and then float back to your car. Done this a couple times and its always a must every year for me. Glad you had some fun!

Mark... Where do you get all the energy from..
    your killin me here..
    you certainly know how to have a great time..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default With packraft

55 minute easy walk, two hour float out.

Default Short Kings clip 2011/ raising kids in Alaska

This was the kids third year in kayaks. They have progressed from the Kenai and Portage Creek, to boating rivers in the class III realm. Kyle (11) is already insisting on leading the pack, half the time, and we had a great year on 5 different class II-III streams. Although it has been nerve racking, watching them progress, it is worth the time and effort. I cannot even begin to describe the experience, as a whole, in words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmabV...NLLOWfA2ts1lhu

Pretty dang kool, Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    55 minute easy walk, two hour float out.
    Nice results! I'll do my best to match you.

Avi to mp4 converter