Thread: Great Shrimping - until . . .

Default Great Shrimping - until . . .

Brought up two pots of 40+ each spots. Here is what the third pot looked like:

Mmmmm Octopus fritters.

I caught one about that size last summer. I fought it into a cooler and took it back to camp. When we got to the beach my boys came running down to see how much shrimp we got. I set the cooler down on the beach and told them to pop the heads off everything in it! About that time it started fighting for its freedom again and scared the BEJEBUS out of them!
    Your in for a treat, check out some of the threads on here for recipes and cooking tips.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

That's a nice one. Bad for shrimping though.

Heck I would take one of those if my first two pots had 40 shrimp in them.... best I have done so far is far less than 40 total in 4 pots. I am still learning but I would like to have one decent set this year.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

That's not a bad tradeoff for 40 shrimp. It's when you get the little ones in the pot and they've cleaned you out you get bummed.

No need to battle them, knife between the eyes calms them right down!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The diversity and the bounty of the ocean continues to impress. Makes me not miss Nebraska or North Dakota so much.
    Go Big Red!

probably a four or five thousand shrimp equivalent haul right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    No need to battle them, knife between the eyes calms them right down!
    It was funner to sic it on my kids
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I caught 2 yesterday. One in 2 pots next to eachother. I'd rather of caught the shrimp, but it's the first Octo I've ever caught.

I got a wolf eal in my pot last time out not sure how he got in there as he was bigger than the entrance but it was cool to see. mean looking thing though
    I wouldnt mind getting an octo i would try it I hear they are good eating.

We caught a big one in Cook Inlet on Monday, it grabbed the piece of herring. I didn't think they were there, really surprised me. I thought we were hung up, tried to get it off the bottom by jerking it up and down and could feel the weight, then pulled to break it and it came loose, pulled up the octo. Call me a wimp, I just couldn't kill it though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Yummy, they are very tasty, especialy raw.

That is really cool. I would have to play with one of those for a while if I caught it.

We caught a smaller one that once I shook it from my pot it inked my ice chest full of shrimp. He climbed out of the ice chest and into my ice fishing bucket (that has one of those padded seats that has a semi circle cut out of it for the ice rods to stick out of) that I put next to the ice chest. My wife and I continued to pull the other pot on our string. and I told her to look behind her, and that octo had crawled out of the bucket with the lid on it and was right behind my wife. I'm glad my arms were long enough, as she darn near jumped off the boat! She sceamed so loud you could have probably heard her miles away! She had to get inside the cabin and lock the door. I did the deed with the knife bewteen the eyes, and now hope I have some good halibut bait for this weekend. Funny stuff. (wouldn't be so funny if she read this thread though)

My wife's line felt "funny" while halibut fishing in about 350 feet of water in PWS. I pulled it up to check on it. As it neared the surface I notice an octopus on the line and said, "Anyone you doesn't want to witness my first attempt at killing an octopus better go inside." I'm think bait and maybe a little octopus salad here.

At this point said octopus was above water and just kinda hanging on the big jig. It then reached up with a couple of tentacles, grabbed the braided line, pulled its body off the hook, plopped into the water and jetted toward bottom in an inky cloud. "Wow!", I thought, "Pretty smart. I guess it deserves its freedom."

Then next one it getting it though...

ha! glad im not the the only one thats happened to.....fishin on a charter outta seward about 6 years back came up with a nice big octo....cappys like hey great we got us some good hali bait....plopped it on deck and it inks everywhere....cappy says "get it back in the water till its out of ink!" okey doke in the drink he goes......he swims over, latches on to the side of the boat, reaches an arm around and unhooks himself, and jets off into the unknown......i was like hmmm ok then........cappys like oh so sorry i didnt know they could do that.......lol i did manage to snap a pic before he inked the deck though.....wise critturs they be

Release Lake Trout