Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're B-A-C-K ! ! ! !

Angry They're B-A-C-K ! ! ! !

Stinkin' pike are back in Cheney Lake.

Stubborn survivors... or another illegal re-introduction?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1496&year=2011
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Stinkin' pike are back in Cheney Lake.

Stubborn survivors... or another illegal re-introduction?
    Evidence would seem to lean pretty strongly toward the latter.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I grew up about 1/4 mile from that lake and remember as a kid spending whole days fishing for Rainbows and goofing off. Its a real shame that people seem to have a need to dump pike in that lake and ruin the efforts of ADFG to create a nice urban fishery for people.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Evidence would seem to lean pretty strongly toward the latter.
    What evidence? Just curious... I believe eggs getting transferred to the lake on legs of waterfowl is another possible scenario.

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    What evidence? Just curious... I believe eggs getting transferred to the lake on legs of waterfowl is another possible scenario.

-akiceman25
    Better get rid of all the fowl, too!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yes there is a clandestine effort in the South Central Alaska to introduce pike into lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post

-akiceman25
    If that's the case, then why don't you see pike in every lake????
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The pike were over 18 inches, there is no way they could grow that fast in two years. They were dumped in there by some dumb*ss.

I just heard about this on 650am KENI during the hourly news break. Said there was two caught over 18" like FishGod said. Another battle against the Pike is about to commence. I cant see waterfowl transferring eggs to the lake. 18" is a pretty good eating size for pike. That is about the average size Pike I pull out of Figure 8 each winter during the ice fishing season. There are some monsters size Pike in that lake. I don't understand why people are throwing invasive fish into lakes where they don't belong.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    I just heard about this on 650am KENI during the hourly news break. Said there was two caught over 18" like FishGod said. Another battle against the Pike is about to commence. I cant see waterfowl transferring eggs to the lake. 18" is a pretty good eating size for pike. That is about the average size Pike I pull out of Figure 8 each winter during the ice fishing season. There are some monsters size Pike in that lake. I don't understand why people are throwing invasive fish into lakes where they don't belong.

Stupidity crosses my mind
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Read my rant here at AK Dispatch...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    18" is nothing. Is Cheney lake landlocked?

We only have how many lakes filled to the brim with 8-12" fish?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Is Cheney Lake land-locked? If so, why don't we quit wasting money sterilizing and stocking it and just leave the pike there.

Yes, I get a kick out of catching pike, but that's not really my issue. If they can't spread naturally, through creeks or whatever, then what is the harm in leaving them? Not everyone would prefer to catch 10-inch stocked rainbows, so instead of over-reacting to the "invasive" species just leave them as another option for local fishermen/kids?

What most folks don't realize is that Cheney Lake is connected to Chester Creek via a culvert underground. Fish have been found in this underground culvert. If pike get into Chester Creek then kiss the natural run of coho and pinks goodbye. University lake, East and West Chester Lagoon would be prime pike habitat. These idiots that are doing this have know idea what the potential impact could be. Another urban salmon stream could be ruined because idiot pike stockers don't realize that Cheney Lake is connected to an open system. IGNORANCE

That's why I asked if it was landlocked or not. Most lakes in town are connected to something somehow. But, even the tiniest of creeks can be passageways for little pike. If that's the case, then I fully support eradicating them. We've seen in the Susitna system how they can both get everywhere and decimate trout and salmon populations.

Actually, Cheney is not connected to Chester Creek. I worked with ADFG on the treatment of Cheney and the subsequent restocking of threespine stickleback (a native fish in the lake) and we were very careful to rule-out any possibility of a connection between the lake and the creek. As far as is known, the lake has not been connected to the creek since Anchorage has been populated, but it was at some earlier date (most likely in the last 1,000 years). I agree though that the reintroduction of pike is a bum deal.

Cheney_20081021_0708.jpgCheney_20081021_0674.jpgThat's funny, because I worked on the Cheney Lake rotenone project also. We put smolt traps in these culverts before and after the initial medication. Here's some pics of one of the biologist with a smolt trap near the manhole and at the outflow of the non-existant connectrion.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Stupidity crosses my mind
    Stupidity crosses my mind too. I try to mitigate it as much as possible with education. Some people apparently just run with it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    As far as is known, the lake has not been connected to the creek since Anchorage has been populated, but it was at some earlier date (most likely in the last 1,000 years).
    So they built the roads in east Anchorage a 1,000 years ago? Cheney lake is a gravel pit that filled in over the years. There is still a small dozer on the back side near the shore. The city was getting complaints about crawl space flooding decades ago and installed a drain to shunt some water to the creek. They were also having to repave that section of Baxter/Beaver every couple of years to deal with frost heaves in the spring.

When Baxter/Beaver roads were re built in the 1990's one of the biggest issues was how to improve the drainage for Cheney Lake so that it stopped turning the road into muck each spring. The lowering of the lake level was a big issue with the local property owners, lake users, and others. There were several puplic meetings about it way back in the day. Your non existant culvert system was a big desing issue, but worked to keep the road from failing every couple of years.

So, if Cheney Lake is connected, it's also possible the pike found their way into there from somewhere else in the Chester Creek system....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast