Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you beat 350?

Default Can you beat 350?

I just came back from taking some friends out fishing in Homer. Before we left we checked in at the derby booth and admired the 277lber. Just to see that a 350lber was pulled in yesterday!! I think this guy has it locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    I just came back from taking some friends out fishing in Homer. Before we left we checked in at the derby booth and admired the 277lber. Just to see that a 350lber was pulled in yesterday!! I think this guy has it locked in.
    Lots of time left and plenty of good skippers out looking.... anything could happen.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

PIKE, you must be a good fisherman as per your optimistic remark. May YOU be the one to score a big one.

I am going to wait until the end of the season to catch a 351 pounder, I want the suspense to build for that guy
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

You just never know what is going to get caught the rest of the season. Maybe its time to go fish the Kelp beds with a salmon head and see if you can catch one of them big momma chicken eaters.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Don't forget the tagged fish!
    You could still win $10,000 but only if you have a derby ticket!
    Heres a list of some of the other fabulous prizes:
    Monthly Prizes - First Place $1,000, Second Place $750, Third Place $500, Fourth Place $250 for largest fish
    caught each month
    32 Tagged Fish worth $1,000 each
    51 Tagged Fish worth $500 each
    5 Tagged Fish worth $10,000 each
    A monthly Lady Angler Prize of $500
    for largest halibut caught by a female.
    Kids prizes: 12 years & under end of season drawing $500, $400, $300, $200, and $100 just for buying a ticket.
    Catch a Lefty: be the first to catch a
    left-handed halibut and win $100.
    Barn Door Prize: you don't have to fish to win! Just buy a ticket and you are entered in a drawing for two round trip tickets on Grant Aviation - Homer / Kodiak or Homer / Anchorage - winner's choice .
    Captain's Prize - awarded to the captain of the winning fish. Based on the number of tickets sold.
    Value-added coupons provided with every derby ticket sold
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Lightbulb

Why, so we can help support a derby that encourages the killing of the few large fish nope I won't be buying tickets and will be letting anything over 60lbs or so go.

Just so you know, all the tagged fish are under 29 inches.... they do that to avoid the 32 inch commercial limit, in addition all tagged fish were caught and tagged just off Seldovia. Unless I knew I had a derby winner I would release any fish over 80 lbs anyway... and by derby winner I mean big enough that I KNOW i will win it all...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Why, so we can help support a derby that encourages the killing of the few large fish nope I won't be buying tickets and will be letting anything over 60lbs or so go.
    Never have bought a derby ticket myself even though I own a Halibut boat. I have thought about buying one just for the chance of catching a tagged fish and having it pay off.
    I just can't seem to justify spending the money to buy a ticket for everyone in my boat for the off chance we get a tagged one. Especially when it costs $10 each for a one day ticket.
    Can't say as I particularily support the big fish aspect of these derbies but the tagged fish are something I could see supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    PIKE, you must be a good fisherman as per your optimistic remark. May YOU be the one to score a big one.
    If I had been 3 feet to my left on that August 2006 charter with Capt. Tony, I would have taken home that 341# fish and not Duane Olsen. It's all LUCK, some of us have more than others. And some have less.

As a side note, the whole theme of "Killing the few large fish" well, I don't know about you, but I have no friggin idea how many big halibut there are like that out there. There is ALOT of water for them to hide, and a lot more water that simply rarely gets fished much.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

redleader, every longliner thanks you for every fish over 60lbs you let go, by putting a gaff in thier head! 350lb hal at $7.00 a lb = $2450.00 take off 50lbs for guts still $2100.00 If you let fish over 60lbs go because you feel they don't eat as well, then I agree.

I guess I am just not as rich as some guys, because if I catch a fish than can get me 40-50 grand then I am keeping it. It's not like I am out there killing all the big fish, only caught one over a hundred, and that was on a charter.

letting the larger breeders go and keeping a few of the better eating smaller ones to eat makes sense and is what I believe in not just for halibut but many species in lots of places, whenever you put a huge prize on the largest fish caught anywhere it brings many more anglers targeting and finding more large fish areas and fishing them out. How far are the charters targeting large fish running these days? I would rather see a tagged fish only derby and get rid of the large fish prizes, which would result in more large fish available for anglers.

I agree with hoose35 if it gets me 40k its coming in the boat. I am not sure how much it would actually help to let those fish go because it would take me several years of fishing to boat the number of big fish I see off loaded from one comm halibut boat from one trip out.

I wish they had more target weight derbies.
    They used to do one in Homer that was closest fish to 100# on the 4th of July weekend won a prize. Provided you had a derbie ticket.

One positive I see about this big fish coming in this early in the season is that more fish in the 100#-300# range will be let go because they know they do not have a shot at the grand prize.
    I too would keep a big one for $40,000 but since I don't buy derbie tickets I don't really worry about it.
    How many people who bought a derby ticket for the chance at a tagged fish would let a serious contender for the lead go?
    I am talking one you are as positive as can be it is over 325#-350#.
    And you know it is worth at least $25,000.

Sorry but they are coming home with me also......after watching a commercial operation and they only kept fish over 32". At that point I decided I would keep at least one or two large fish a year. Also where I catch them does dictate how many I keep thru out the year.

So, here's a question:
    If the Homer Halibut Derby went to a system of measuring and releasing ALL fish over, say 40 inches, would you folks be more likely, or less likely, to want to pay for a halibut charter trip and a derby ticket?

I'm asking this because regulations being proposed RIGHT NOW may mandate a change to ONE FISH A DAY for halibut charter anglers. And that one fish may be limited to 37-inches or less, like it is in SE Alaska right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    So, here's a question:
    If the Homer Halibut Derby went to a system of measuring and releasing ALL fish over, say 40 inches, would you folks be more likely, or less likely, to want to pay for a halibut charter trip and a derby ticket?

I'm asking this because regulations being proposed RIGHT NOW may mandate a change to ONE FISH A DAY for halibut charter anglers. And that one fish may be limited to 37-inches or less, like it is in SE Alaska right now.
    Well it appears at least to me that everyone who has posted on this thread so far has their own private boat. Doesn't neccessarily mean we wan't a 37" fish for all charter anglers though.
    I don't target the larger fish and rarely have the opportunity on one over 80+ on weather or not I will release it. So my main goal if ever I was to buy a derby ticket would be for a tagged fish witch I see equals a fish under 37" anyway.
    Charters fish often enough and have the money/boats to travel farther so they have a much greater impact on the resource especially the big breeding halibut. By the nature of chartering a lot of guides will target the large fish a lot more than personal boats as well.
    Since I make nothing off of tourism and neither do any of my friends and family I could realy care less wether we draw in more tourism to Homer. In fact I like it when there are a few less boats at the ramp every summer.
    Our son goes to a private school to boot so we don't benefit from the bourugh sales tax that goes to school either. Just my point of view.
    Sorry to hijack this thread guys.

How does the measure and release method work? Do you have to be a registered guide to be allowed to measure and release a fish for clients? What about everyone else? Who's to stop someone from cheating? I don't see how any released fish can be entered in the derby. I do support a random weight prize, draw a number out of a hat, whoever catches a fish with that weight wins, could even have multiple winners.

Honestly I think the lower 48 economy and the high fuel prices are going the biggest factor affecting the charter fleet in the next few years. The charter guys aren't going to be able to raise there prices that much without people stopping heading out, and they must be just scraping buy with the high fuel costs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast