Thread: Lifts

Default Lifts

Just talked with Pete Weaver, the gent that WAS making Klingel lifts here in Fairbanks. He's out of the business ... doesn't have the time to make them anymore. That leaves those of us who prefer the Fairbanks/jackass style lift with no source. I'm trying to devise a Kingel-style lift for a Scott Hudson Bay, and, having used one on my 19' Grumman for a decade, it's the method I prefer, and is best suited to the rivers I frequent. My lift goes up and down, depending on the conditions, quite a bit. Other than a surface-drive, I'll have to invent/fabricate my own solution. Or maybe look at a Yukon 800 boat for inspiration.

remember that the Fairbanks lift don't push from the back, it applies it from the gunnels of the canoe/boat, the old Grummen had metal on it ,
    you might have to put channel on the gunnel of Scott an bolt it on some how, or make a moveable one, like the one that been talked about here on this web site for some time, I think the man that has spent a lot of time on the project would give you some help if you connect up with him [it is summer time ]
    SID

Default Mainer

Mainer has an idea for a transom mounted electric (well geared) lift that can quickly raise/lower your working transom. I don't think he's prototyped it; he's been a busy beaver on his mystery tank and other projects lately, and might not be available until the snow flies. Just an idea. He does very nice work.

Also, I heard that Pete Weaver did receive the patterns/etc directly from John Klingel for the original Klingel (jack***) lift. Sorry Pete's out of the biz; that's sad news.

Wouldn't it be cool if Pete could pass on Klingel's materials/designs/patterns/etc to Mainer or someone like him that does take a current interest in helping Alaskan's with their canoes?

I want to check with Jon Klingel about his thoughts on a jackass-type lift for the HB, but he's off fishing for the next week. I'll try to catch him next weekend. I imagine he's trying out his MB Mini HD 23 horse on his HB. I also want to talk with some Yukon 800 folks about how their lifts work, but they'll be busy till after Solstice.

I still have my 19'er (soon to be for sale) with the Klingel lift on it. I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt and widen the lift design to work with a HB.

FamilyMan ... How long before mainer is due back with a full report on the Copperhead 12 horse?
    Last edited by Rick; 06-21-2011 at 00:18. Reason: forgot

Default Where's Mainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    FamilyMan ... How long before mainer is due back with a full report on the Copperhead 12 horse?
    Rick,

Mainer's a hard guy to track... maybe its his training.

Can't say for sure, and not sure anyone can, but I think I will hear word of his whereabouts (not here in SC AK) about a week or so hence, and might see him in person about 4 weeks for now.

Don't hold me to any of this. I'm just giving you my best guesses.

I know he's looking to mate his Esquif Cargo with the smaller Copperhead when he can, and that he already reported on here that his big Copperhead worked quite well on his big "Mystery Tank" canoe, now that its been "Mainer-ized". We haven't had a chance yet to try his big Copperhead on my Scott Albany, but I continue to have high hopes for the combo. Until then, I'm way happy with my "Mainer-lift" combined with my Tohatsu 15 HP 4 stroke; it worked very nicely, as I did report on here.

FM

Default 23 horse MB plus Scott HB

I want to check with Jon Klingel about his thoughts on a jackass-type lift for the HB, but he's off fishing for the next week. I'll try to catch him next weekend. I imagine he's trying out his MB Mini HD 23 horse on his HB.
    I'd be interested in hearing about this combo also. I know he tried a jet and found it wanting, in power. He doesn't hang around here much if at all, so if anyone hears of his experiences and/or successes, post it up, eh?

Talking Motor Lift Available Now.

Canoe lift.jpgCanoe Lift 2.jpg
    I finaly have a second choice for a lift. It is a smaller version off the old old school lift. It clamps on the transom transom and the motor clamps on the lift. Used one twenty years ago with a 30 hp Evinrude. It does have a 10" setback and gives about 9" of lift.
    Weighs in at 30lbs. I have seen these on Grummans in the past. The handle has adjustable angles and it has an adjustable stop for
    motor depth. Been trying for years to find a welder that could build this for me. Should have some this week. This is the perfect size for any motor up to 120 lbs or so. Clamp it on a canoe or a boat. Will get some pictures of the new lift on a boat.
    I have a Klingle style lift I am going to show the welder. Might be a chance on getting them built again.

Madboater ....
    I have been using a Klingel lift, I bought from you a decade ago, on my 19'er for many years. Now, I am trying to set up a Scott Hudson Bay for this year, and want to adapt the Klingel design to it for my Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke (last year of production), I also bought from you. I still have the Klingel lift on my 19'er, which will be for sale shortly. Doesn't look too difficult to adapt the design. If you find your welder, I'd like to talk to him about a HB lift.

Hey Rick
    Good to here its still working out for you. I'm hoping to show the klingel lift to the welder this month.
    See if he wants to put in the time fab them up. You end up having to build a jig for each style.
    Will keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Madboater View Post
    Hey Rick
    Good to here its still working out for you. I'm hoping to show the klingel lift to the welder this month.
    See if he wants to put in the time fab them up. You end up having to build a jig for each style.
    Will keep you guys posted.
    I heard that Pete Weaver received John Klingel's jigs. You might want to see if you can borrow, if Pete's out of the biz now...

Was a great set up on an old boat in Anchorage 9th and Karluk that steered and lifted with a single stick. Push forward to lift haven't been by there lately last time I was it was still there and seen him out on a few lakes over the years. It was all cable operation.

Default Where's Mainer?

He's run off into the bush; gone for now. I do expect to see him some 4 weeks or so from now. Though I did hear that he was going to stop at a bush-setting wii-fii cafe in the next few days, so he could surface here online shortly; or not. Mainer's a tough guy to predict.