Thread: Kenai Dipnetting Question

Default Kenai Dipnetting Question

What is the smallest raft and outboard size recommended for dipnetting the Kenai?

Default Biggah mo bettah

From the bridge down to the gasline crossing, you can do fine with a modest setup. If you're talking smallest, you'll want to stay up there away from the big boys. The river is not a problem, but the macho is.

I've used a 12' aluminum skiff with a 6hp for years and don't recommend it. Works great for me, but there's a slim margin of safety. I don't know what you've got, but I'd think a 12' Zodiac with a 15 horse would be fine.

This is a 12' skiff with only a 6hp.

~tr

I don't think anything less than 16' would be all that practical. As the previous poster noted, the lower river can get very nasty with big boats in it, not just because of the drivers by the water dynamics with the big boat wakes, plus current, plus wind all make for quite a washing machine of waves, i've seen them about 3' with the tide out and lots of boats on the water.

Default Man, the picture tells the story doesn't it?

...except freeboard maybe. Good advice from gr8fl. Those fish get heavy. 30, 50 or more fish in a little boat...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    From the bridge down to the gasline crossing, you can do fine with a modest setup. If you're talking smallest, you'll want to stay up there away from the big boys. The river is not a problem, but the macho is.

I've used a 12' aluminum skiff with a 6hp for years and don't recommend it. Works great for me, but there's a slim margin of safety. I don't know what you've got, but I'd think a 12' Zodiac with a 15 horse would be fine.

This is a 12' skiff with only a 6hp.

~tr

Yeah, we didn't want to look at the freeboard too much on the way back to the bridge. It was a bit unsettling.

BTW, a lot of those fish were caught at high tide right amidst the grass on the outside of the gasline corner. You could see them finning all along there.

~tr