Thread: Yamaha mechanics help, broken vehicle question....

Default Yamaha mechanics help, broken vehicle question....

First off not to offend anyone i am not and nor will i ever be a fan of yamaha products. My opinion is the only thing yamaha makes that are good is band instruments, but that is not what this thread is about.

My experience with fixing machines and maitenance is honda, suzuki and polaris. So i know little to nothing of yamahas. Here is my delema I have a gentleman at work that would like me to fix a 1993 yahama.

Its problem is that it hasnt ran in 3 years and just sat in a garage. Now the clutch wont engage and you cant even get it to change gears. Does anyone have a better understanding or more advanced mechanic knowledge of this machine and what the simple fix could be if there is one at all.

Any chance you might be able to give us a model of ATV?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

it a 1993 500cc model. that is about all i know on it. i will be picking it up next week to try and play with it. Is it possible that the thing is simply rusted? or is there something within the clutch itself that could have gone wrong. I know he said that he didnt recall there being any problem with the machine when it went into storage but i know three years is a lot for any type of machine to sit and collect dust. thanks doug and maybe that will give you some ideas.

im shooting in the dark here, but if it is belt driven, make sure the belt and clutches are good. If there is no belt drive, pull the cover off. Make sure it is the proper weight oil, i put 90 weight in once where 10-30 belonged, and alas, no clutch dis engagement. or peices will fall off my .02 cents, good luck. You could also look at an exploded view of the trans if you google search the make and model, just look for parts lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    im shooting in the dark here, but if it is belt driven, make sure the belt and clutches are good. If there is no belt drive, pull the cover off. Make sure it is the proper weight oil, i put 90 weight in once where 10-30 belonged, and alas, no clutch dis engagement. or peices will fall off my .02 cents, good luck. You could also look at an exploded view of the trans if you google search the make and model, just look for parts lists.
    I doubt it is belt driven as the only one I am aware of with belt drive in 1993 is a Polaris. That is probably a centrifugal wet clutch. Perhaps after years of sitting, corrosion in the clutch causing it to "freeze"?? Sorry you hate Yamahas so much husker, I have a 2000 Big Bear that I have done NOTHING but change the fluids/adjust the rear brakes. It has been through some pretty rough treatment and keeps ticking.

If it has a forward/reverse shifter make sure it's fully engaged one way or the other. They don't always mesh well and the transmission won't shift unless it's engaged.