Thread: Helped rescue some overturned boaters on the copper

Default Helped rescue some overturned boaters on the copper

Three guys in a 20 foot jon boat dip netting above the bridge. Been watching them all day. The motor wouldnt start and the boat hit the bridge piling sidways. Boat got pushed up the piling till the gunnel took water then down she went. I saw it happened and scooted right down. Another boat with six guys was below me and when they saw me full power down river they looked and saw what was going on and scooted over. The boat was pinned against the piling with about a foot of the side above water. The other boat came around from the back and tossed a rope one by one and got them in. All i could do was stay close and get anyone who didnt make it to the other boat. All turned out fine except the jon is pinned tight against the piiar and no way of getting it out. Scary situation for sure.

Good report and way to go. Were they wearing PFD's?

****...gotta respect that river.

I second the "way to go" and good situational awareness to you and the other boat. One of the great things about Alaska is we all help each other out.

I was hoping that it turned out ok for them. We saw the boat stuck on the bridge on our way back in and I'm sure it was not there when we were headed down river.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

All were wearing pfd's. As with everyone I saw in a boat...Thats is probably the smartest thing I saw all weekend was everyone in a boat had a pfd on..It happens fast. The guys on the other boat had a throw line in a bag...GREAT idea i WILL HAVE ONE THE NEXT TIME i GO..

My rescue rope has saved my butt more then once.
    Once our canoe was pinned sideways by the current on a stump in the middle of Birch Creek. The force of the water had quickly swamped the canoe and about to rip it in half. I was just about to jump in and hope that I could make it to the inside bank before the current drug me into some sweepers when someone else in our group made it to shore. I grabbed my rescue rope bag that was already tied to the canoe, tossed it to our friends and we were soon onshore, dry and back on our way.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I was down the bridge by the sandbar sweeping my net when it happened. I was surprised to see coolers (?) swept by the river current and when I looked up from a distance , two boats were already there rescuing them. Scary indeed. Glad nobody was hurt.

Good on you guys. I'm glad to hear that everybody was safe in the end. I've had to tow a boat back to the launch on the Copper before and it is no fun. My dad sucked in some rocks and locked up his jet unit. We told my brother that if something happens and the boat starts going under to cut the rope. He had a hard time with that since he felt like he'd have to cut my dad loose to his death, but we got back to the launch without any issues. We were downstream of the bridge nearly to O'Brien Creek, so we towed him quite a ways.

Gotta respect that river, too many have learned the hard way. I do like the fact that everybody there will jump in an instant to help out somebody in trouble. My hat is off to all those that do.