Thread: looking for black bear dogs in the Anch/Fairbanks area?

Default looking for black bear dogs in the Anch/Fairbanks area?

I want to run some black bear dogs, but, can't find a good hunter/breeder in alaska....

anyone have some names, numbers, etc...

and is there a black bear hunting club here in Ak?
    Scotty in the AK bush

only one I know of is AGL4now but he is too old to breed. But he can track a bear inside just about any area of alaska.

I kid, I kid.

Kinda interested in what exactly a "black bear dog" is what breed/cross breed and such.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

is this what you were talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_Bear_Dog

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

If you are looking for Walker Bear dogs, I may have a great source.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I recommend the breed I have, German Jag'd Terrier. Youtube them, lots of hog and some bear footage from over seas. Mine last week kept a brown bear off us going into my bait. Wasn't her normal behavior and I knew something was up. Seen brush moving and was hoping for a blackie to tree. I sent her back in after once I confirmed something was there. It proceeded to run off and my little 18# dog was proud, she did get messed up too much scent in the area and never continued to chase it, which is illegal anyways and I think she knew it was not a blackie. Plus that is why she was acting differently. Great dogs, especially mine. Small yet fast and tough, not a brittle breed.

Walkers, Red Bones, Blue'ticks, Plot hounds. Don't fall in love with them, carry a suture kit. The biggest problem in Alaska is the lack of roads. Or even the lack of trails. Oddly enough here where I am would be one of the best locations, if they don't cross the Six-mile. Easy to get "Hot" Hits on the power line, and hope they tree between the hope road and the Palmer Creek. Your going to loose a lot of dogs to Grizz and drownings.

I got a Bluetick pup from a breeder in South carolina,had her flown up. Haven't ran any bears and dont plan too, shes a good tracker though.

I think them plots are about as tough as hound as your gonna find, probably make a hella bear hound
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Oops, I forgot the great "Black N' Tan's". Now that we have "No Closed Season" for Black Bears.....???? It would be very expensive. You would need to make money at it somehow. The big problem I think would be dogs drowning. Those bears can swim across Turnagain Arm. They have more fat and insulation in the cold water. Wide paws for swimming. Then there is the issue of running moose, both dogs killing young moose, and dogs being killed by moose. I just think you would want to start with 10 to 12 in the pack, with another 6 or 8 in training. Figure to loose two or three dogs per month.

I have heard of several people that have tried it on the peninsula but they all give it up after trudging through the thick forests, crossing the big rivers (like AGL said) and then find the wrong color bears...Dogs get expensive when brown bears are tearing them up. I have a lab/husky rescue that is our home protector, and she is good at it, but its just a matter of time until she comes across a bear, or group of bears, that is faster or smarter that day than she is.

Try Pete Buist in Fairbanks. He gave hounds a go for a while. I never talked with him directly, but word I got was it did not work out too well. He'd tell you straight up though. Works for Forestry as a day job, might be busy with fires right now.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Oops, I forgot the great "Black N' Tan's". Now that we have "No Closed Season" for Black Bears.....???? It would be very expensive. You would need to make money at it somehow. The big problem I think would be dogs drowning. Those bears can swim across Turnagain Arm. They have more fat and insulation in the cold water. Wide paws for swimming. Then there is the issue of running moose, both dogs killing young moose, and dogs being killed by moose. I just think you would want to start with 10 to 12 in the pack, with another 6 or 8 in training. Figure to loose two or three dogs per month.
    I thought about going for a walk in your area, but can't run bears withing a mile of houses. So just have not had time yet, but will be down there in july scouting for the bou in resurection. I just use one dog. I am not trying to run bear, but my dog has a good nose and has ran many a bear, but with just one dog, no bears have treed yet. One partial video on youtube of my dog with a bear in a river, great fight! She has also got on brown bear that chases into a river. She had not recieved a singel scratch yet. Fast and fierce. Only down side is I don't have a gps tracker and she is really fast and gets so far out there really quick, and yep, like you said, you have no way of really telling for sure what the dog(s) are tracking. I have mine pretty well trained, but just never know. The brown bear she got on the other day at bait was different then the first she chased. So I am lead to beleive she knows the different scents from brown and blacks, I shocked her good when she chased the first brownie, same with moose.

i got me a bluetick that im sending home to wisconsin to train on black bear down there. the only thing is cause of all the wolves up here they'd prolly pick the dogs apart thats what they do to them in wisconsin