Thread: Should I replace the impeller?

Default Should I replace the impeller?

I picked up a 2006 Yamaha F4 4HP from a friend. He bought it new and used it very little over the years. I have tested on my freighter canoe and it runs great. I am planning a very long, remote trip soon.

Question: should I replace the water pump impeller before I go?
    The local dealer says it should be done to avoid failure and engine damage. He wants $300 for the job. I am looking for 2nd opinions on whether this makes sense.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bhunts View Post
    I picked up a 2006 Yamaha F4 4HP from a friend. He bought it new and used it very little over the years. I have tested on my freighter canoe and it runs great. I am planning a very long, remote trip soon.

The local dealer says it should be done to avoid failure and engine damage. He wants $300 for the job. I am looking for 2nd opinions on whether this makes sense.
    Replacing it makes perfect sense...paying someone $300 to do it makes no sense at all.

I replace mine every season, takes less than 30 minutes and is very EZ to do.

Here is a youtube video of a 25hp. but they all are very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68sb...eature=related

Use the money you save to buy a cold one.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

replace the impeller your self , on a long trips you should have a compleat water [pump] extra with you,
    an have at least one extra prop if not 2, you will get to change props a little as to the river you travel ,
    a prop will work as long as it has all the blades not the best but it will work, a new prop for deep water an as you get to the smaller rivers go to a worn prop as you will not be going real fast in the small rivers but you will grind up the prop a lot

Yep. Especially if you've never laid eyes on it yourself. Once a year is good insurance. I sometimes cheat and go a couple of years but then I'm the one that put it in. They take a 'set' and the vanes dry out and crack.

It's just a 30 minute job with a with 2 or 3 box end wrenchs and a screwdriver. Buy the Clymer manual for $30 and another $20 for the new impeller and save yourself $250. Really no more difficult than changing a tire on a vehicle.
    Zack

Thanks for the good advice. I will get on it. Any suggestions for online parts sources?

All kinds of internet sources in the states, I can't say for Ontario but it's probably the same. Do a web-search. As many lakes as there are in the parts of Ontario I've been in there might be some Yamaha/Mariner dealers close to you. Seems like any more one dealer either carries or can get parts for most brands of outboard. Zack

My local dealer has a habit of over-charging. Really ridiculous prices. I'll go online to compare.

http://www.iboats.com/Yamaha-Outboar...view_id.268912
    I've bought small parts from these folks, they're quick shippers and reasonable. Don't know how it'd be there in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by bhunts View Post
    Any suggestions for online parts sources?
    Amazon of all places sells impellers. Just ordered one for a little Merc I've got. They've got used Seloc and Clymer boat motor manuals too. Zack