Thread: Prince of Wales Island

Default Prince of Wales Island

Planning a self guided family fishing trip, combo of salt & fresh water. Any recommendations on location on the island, time of the year, lodges? We have fished several times on the Kenai peninsula and want to try something new. All info appreciated.

There are a lot of options on POW. Coffman Cove is a great spot as the fishing is protected and not too far out for the salt. Several options for fresh. Coffman Cove Adventures is a sponser of this forum and has a great setup. In addition, Mike is a great guy and an awesome cook.

King fishing is nothing short of retarded right now on the west coast of POW. Haven't seen it this good since 04. Look at what Coffman Cove Adventures has to offer too.

King from today..

Darren at Hollis Adventure Rentals can set you up with a vehicle/skiff combo rental. Great guy to deal with.
    http://www.harentals.com/index.html

Good call on Hollis Adventure Rentals.
    I have my skiff and vehicle rented through him and he's really easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Darren at Hollis Adventure Rentals can set you up with a vehicle/skiff combo rental. Great guy to deal with.
    http://www.harentals.com/index.html
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Try this outfit:

http://www.landsendlodge.com/

They're located on the north tip of POW. Seems like a nice place to spend a week.

I'm sure Pt. Baker is a prime location for fish. Some real open water there and their boats don't look real big.

I've stayed at the Shelter Cove Lodge right in Craig. Nice facility, nice boats, nice private dock and when I watched their 6-packs returns, they had limits of fish - mind you this was August.

Never heard 270 say one thing or another about them tho, and he's a local. You're close to amenities and transp to the lodge is about as cheap and easy as it gets. Nice dining and I think they will cook up your catch for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    King from today..
    You know you're pizzing me off. Did pick up three hatchery fish one morning, but other than that, it's been a down year and they just said we can only fish one rod PP starting today. Am I whining loud enuff? Oh yeah, and the guy I was standing too next on my lunch break caught a nice chrome 20#er here at the hatchery. Right after I ditched the lure and decided to "spot-n-stalk" with a treble.

I picked up 2 kings within sight of town today. Fished from 11:30am to 1:30pm, so really didn't do the spot justice.

Back to the outside tomorrow...

gooch,

I emailed and called ya, but you must have been out. Your pm box is full...

Hooked 19 kings in 3 hours. Mid day, worst tide. I heard on the good tide you couldn't even get bait down.

Enjoy it fellas, this year is one to remember.

WTH dude?
    Thats crazy. I think Im gonna drop the boat in Craig before heading up to coffman...

Hooked 19 kings in 3 hours. Mid day, worst tide. I heard on the good tide you couldn't even get bait down.

Enjoy it fellas, this year is one to remember.

Crazy fishing a little North too. Best king fishing for me in 10 years at Deer Harbor; limits for 3 of us (3 fish) in about an hour for 3 day days (Monday - Wednesday).

Big_E

Me and the kids grabbed 10 before 9:30am, and then chased halibut today. Fun day. Freezer is bursting.

Me and the kids grabbed 10 before 9:30am, and then chased halibut today. Fun day. Freezer is bursting.
    You heading out pretty far for them? Or are they pretty simple to find?

14.27 Nautical Miles from Craig...(grin)

You gotta know exactly where they are, to put up the big numbers. I'll give you a hint.. They are laying in 60ft of water, off a big rock and a bigger kelp bed. It goes wide open about 1/2 way through the flood and if you are handy with downriggers, you can put 8-10 fish in the boat while they bite, otherwise it's a scratch.

I'll watch 5-10 boats a day come and go from that spot, not realizing what's going on with those fish, and how they are moving through the area and when they like to bite.

But, the traditional outside spots are very good. (Pineapple, Bart, Cape)

Haha! I have no clue where you're talking about.
    Im still looking at the other info you sent me a few weeks back.
    Thanks

14.27 Nautical Miles from Craig...(grin)

You gotta know exactly where they are, to put up the big numbers. I'll give you a hint.. They are laying in 60ft of water, off a big rock and a bigger kelp bed. It goes wide open about 1/2 way through the flood and if you are handy with downriggers, you can put 8-10 fish in the boat while they bite, otherwise it's a scratch.

I'll watch 5-10 boats a day come and go from that spot, not realizing what's going on with those fish, and how they are moving through the area and when they like to bite.

But, the traditional outside spots are very good. (Pineapple, Bart, Cape)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    There are a lot of options on POW. Coffman Cove is a great spot as the fishing is protected and not too far out for the salt. Several options for fresh. Coffman Cove Adventures is a sponser of this forum and has a great setup. In addition, Mike is a great guy and an awesome cook.
    Yes, I will agree. mike is a good dude and runs a great place up in coffman. He helps you get into fish and will show you a top notch time.