Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy hunter Or Meat Hunter

Default Trophy hunter Or Meat Hunter

I don't really mean to start controversy, but I have seen some really good threads here, and being that its not hunting season yet, we can really hash this out now, But I was wondering How you all felt about Trophy hunting verses Meat hunting, I catch alot of HEAT about this, because I am a Trophy Hunter! Don't get me wrong I love to consume game meat, and I consume all of the game that I kill (edible ones). I am not out to break any Boone and Crockett/Pope and Young records, But I do enjoy seeing that beautiful animal on the wall, Is that Bad? I know this is controversy within our hunting community: you got the Trophy Hunters and you got the Meat Hunters. I know alot of hunters, and if I really want meat I can get it (without even hunting). I Hunt because I enjoy it, and love the challenge that comes with it. Tell me what you think?????

Default Evil Hunter, Bad, Bad, Bad!

I think you're an evil, bloodthirsty, killer hunter. You ought to be ashamed of yourself shooting those beautiful trophy animals before I get a chance too! grin

Save some space on your wall and good luck in yours quests.

kingfisherktn

elk go in the freezer, whitetail go on the wall. Nothing like matching wits with a big bruiser whitetail.

I consider myself to be primarily a meat hunter, but put two legal bulls side by side & you can bet I'll take the bigger one!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Cool John Steinbeck weighs in. . . .

“We have never understood why men mount the heads of animals and hang them up to look down on their conquerors. Possibly if feels good to those men to be superior to animals, but it does seem that if they were sure of it they would not have to prove it. Often a man who is afraid must constantly demonstrate his courage and, in the case of the hunter, must keep a tangible record of his courage. For ourselves, we have mounted in a small hardwood plaque one perfect borrego* dropping. And where another man can say, ‘There was an animal, but because I am greater than he, he is dead and I am alive, and there is his head to prove it,’ we can say, ‘There was an animal, and for all we know there still is and here is the proof of it. He was very healthy when we last heard of him.’” —John Steinbeck, Log From The Sea Of Cortez

*borrego: desert sheep

During normal hunting season times, many of the species we pursue are at their prime health and size of the year. Large animals, the bulls, provide more meat peranimal than smaller/female ones. I've seen one member here profess to often pass up smaller moose since they just don't provide as much meat as a large bull.
    Large mature bulls(bou and moose) are often the fattest at that time of year. To active, working people..........like our species USED to be(haha).......animal fat is an important nutrion source. Even more so during cold weather.
    There was a time when being a large animal hunter, i.e. "trophy" made sense.
    Nowadays..........your all just ego maniacs...........hahahahaha!

I try to wring every last ounce of profit I can from a kill. Large antlers/horns, and large skins, capes, etc, sell for more money than small ones. It just makes good business sense to hunt for biguns!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have one whitetail at 168 5/8 p&y and a bunch of gun killed bear, deer and elk that are nocking on the door of the book, but I only have a pheasant mounted, dad shot it with a 22lr when he was a boy and gave it to gramps....who gave it back to dad....who gave it to me. I just have never reall been urged to hang my heads, got a stack of racks in the garage attic, but that is where it will stay. I might hang a euro mount dall though.

for me it is as simple as this, if I hang a buck on the wall, that was an idaho elk tag, if I hang a bear, that was my ticket to kotz....silly, I know.

I hunt mostly for meat, but shoot mature bucks/bulls/boars most of the time. I am not the guy who passes up a meat bull or cow for that matter on the last day, but I would on day one.

What about all you guides out there, how many times have you put a client on a decent animal and he/ she flat out refused and passed on a shot to pursue a bigger trophy? Just wondering if this happens alot, I mean if they are paying for it, aren't they entitled to pursue something more to there liking? I have also seen alot of outfitters (mostly foreign) that charge the client by the score of the trophy they wish to pursue.......K

Default Trophies

I hang pictures on the wall and put meat in the freezer. I have only two mounts on the wall. I have my first mature whitetall I took when I was 18 with a recurve bow, he is now a Horns on Panel. A Mallard hen my grandson shot when we were out duck hunting, not beacuse they are real trophies but to remind me of good times afield. Most of my hunts are recorded in the stack of photo albums scattered around the house. I eat everything eadible and somethings my wife thinks are gross.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Wink

To be honest,Its whatever I feel like that day! I"m usually hunting Whitetails close to home with the bow 90 days a year. I"got one P&Y deer, scored but not entered, paper work filled out. And maybe two that come close. I like the meat, and give alot to friends. Because tags are no problem we also give lots to the feed the hungry programs. I guess what I"'m saying is that I"m conflicted, is there such a thing?? I also let lots of small bucks pass by unscathed so I must be a trophy hunter who loves to eat venison. Still trying for a black bear, getting closer but not yet! Ducks, small game its all good food, at least thats how I see it! Hey.. who started this thread it seems unfair! Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Trophy...

Not sure the wife would allow Mr. Steinbecks trophys to be hanging on our walls, so until I can get her to change her mind the sheep,deer,caribou,moose,etc. will have to do for now!!! I eat what I shoot and I keep a reminder of that adventure if it be a mount or just a picture, just love being out there.

Currently in Michigan we can take two bucks and fill a couple doe tags. I start as a meat hunter and when I have two deer I become a trophy hunter.

As for a mount. I have one, the biggest I have taken with a bow and currently have one at the shop, the biggest I have taken with a Muzzleloader.

I had them mounted because they were beautiful animals........would mount all of them but can't afford to, so I have the biggest mounted.

In order to have another mount he will have to be HUGE

Default Whichever comes first

My plan is simple. I shoot the first legal animal I see. That's the way my dad taught me. Of course, I'm always hoping for a big one, but 90 percent of the time it's a spike/fork or small bear or whatever it is I'm hunting.

I would love to have more mounts, and I'm working on that.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

i've hunted clients that were numbers all numbers soon as we'd see something it was "whats he score" " how big you think he is?" it gets almost degreading after a while to listen to guys like that. one guy on kodiak wouldn't shoot a bear if it was nine eleven, had to be ten foot, took him three years and he got a ten four, came back four years later adn got a ten nine...but bear hunting for him can only go down hill, he'll never enjoy it again. conqured it so to speak...next. i can't hunt like that.

Theres an adatage, not sure if its africa or where it comes from "if you turn down whatever the "spirit" gives you because its not good enough for you, the "spirit" won't give you more.."

man does that seem true sometimes or what, i'll shoot legal animals, unless i'm deer hunting i might get a little tiny bit picky....maybe.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Okay, I can see for game management purposes, as in the lower 48, a doe or two must be taken before a hunter can take a buck, I can understand that, but we DON"T have a problem with too many Moose here, in fact there are less bulls around then when I was here back in 1986. Why are we allowed to kill spike fork moose here in Alaska? It won't be long before ALL moose hunts will be draw.....I'm all for trophy hunting! let that spike grow up and have a chance, to produce some offspring! .....K

Default forced to seek trophies

well if you hunt 50" or full curl, you are through attrition (read: its the law) forced to hunt down those big guys.
    Any full curl sheep is a trophy, imho.

The antlers/horns on the wall are a token of the effort and noble animal involved.
    We knew we were meat hunters when we started leaving huge caribou racks on the tundra. Those antlers never quite taste as good as the meat.

ya but one nice set of antlers will last me two or three winters before i finish them..one caribou last only a couple months....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Before I left the "bush" for a four year tour in the USMC at 18, I real didnt understand why I hunted, I soon learned why when I had to pay my own bills and feed my family here back in the "bush", it is a way to create a bond between you and your family. Here we have seasons to smoke and dry fish, and for meat? does are best in the freezer. With that said, one way to stay in shape is to hunt/hike and keep an eye out for that giant, odd, beautiful blacktail. So I hunt for both meat and trophies.

Thumbs down Can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    . . . one guy on kodiak wouldn't shoot a bear if it was nine eleven, had to be ten foot, took him three years and he got a ten four, came back four years later adn got a ten nine...but bear hunting for him can only go down hill, he'll never enjoy it again. conqured it so to speak...next. i can't hunt like that.
    From where I sit, that isn't hunting, not even close. It might be killing, it might be ego, but whatever it is, it d*mned sure isn't hunting.

Marcus, How can you say it's not hunting? this client is on a guided hunt and he is HUNTING for a specific size requirement, I'm sure the client is paying thousands of dollars for this hunt, and the guide is putting him on some good bears, and the guide is doing his job by calculating size, but if thats not what the hunter is looking for he's not going to take it, thats what having alot of money can afford you to do, even if it takes 3 years. I'd have to disagree, It's hunting no matter what, the guide might get a little challenged but thats what they do, good client and guide relations, they try to get what the client wants, especially if they keep coming back. .....k

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast