Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof fish count

Default Kasilof fish count

Not seeing 2011 for Kasilof sockeye.

Using this link:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...ectYearSpecies

Am I in the right place? Since the opener is in 5 days would be nice to know.

I have been checking the AF&G site fish counts too and it appears they have been slacking. Try the AOJ site below (still not up to date but its something to look at).

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/kasilof.html

Default Kasilof Data

"No data has been entered yet for the year selected. Please try again later."

Use this link instead to go directly to the 2011 count:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...=420&YEAR=2011

BTW, you can use this link to access Kenai late run sockeye directly:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...=420&YEAR=2011

I also have an old page with historical data from 1993-2002 at http://aksalmondipnetting.com/kasilof/kasilof.htm. Make sure you check out the tabs on the bottom of the page for other views. Works fine with Firefox. As I recall it looks awful in Explorer.

And, there is an old Kenai historical comparison chart at http://aksalmondipnetting.com/kenai/KenaiEsc.gif

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-20-2011 at 10:09. Reason: Direct Quote, additional info

Default Kasilof Creel Survey

Sweet. Tony saves the day again.

What do we call you?

SuperWikiFishDataDude?

Tony works fine.

Humility...such a rare thing on this board.

The normal link has 2011 counts now and is ops normal.

Just missed a slug on fish...oh well. I'm heading down for the opener anyway. Normal season opener for comms is 27Jun. However, just heard on the comm hotline that they can open it any time after the 20th if they get 50,000 fish passed the counter. Cumulative is 25,000 so far.

When is the Kasilof Open for dipnetting? Is there a boat-launch?

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    When is the Kasilof Open for dipnetting? Is there a boat-launch?
    It opens saturday, the boat launch is the beach. I was going to take my 15' zod but it will be a pain to launch and I need atleast 1 more guy with me so I think I will just stick to the shore this weekend and call it good. If the netting is not good does anyone have any ideas where i could wet a line close by?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I was going to take my 15' zod but it will be a pain to launch and I need atleast 1 more guy with me...
    Hey Kev, there's people down there that would die to be able to help you and go out with you. Take your Zod, dude.

I've fished there with a boat by myself many times, and taken strangers out, too.

~tr

Damm...

Just called the comm hotline. 11000 fish passed the counter yesterday. Total 46K in the river now. Stated that it is very likely comms will be let out by EO on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Damm...

Just called the comm hotline. 11000 fish passed the counter yesterday. Total 46K in the river now. Stated that it is very likely comms will be let out by EO on Saturday.
    I just read the same thing, I was really hoping to avoid the comm boats but i wil have my net wet at 12:01 am by looking at the #'s passing through i might get get out early ! good luck to everyone going!

I am going to have to only make one trip this year. The gas hog I drive is making outings difficult this year.

I will be down there around the 15th with the rest of south central AK. Hate the crowds, but like the way the freezer fills up in just a couple days.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I'll be down there the second week of July, just like last year for 3-4 days.. Can't wait! Anyone else going to be down there around that time?

Midnight to 0200: No fish. About 50 nets in the water and about 15 fish caught.
    Noon to 1500: 1 for me and 1 for my boy.

Slow. Going to try the high tide tomorrow.

Default Armchair Quarterback

If it was me...

Jump in your little boat tomorrow morning for the low tide about 7am and motor on down to the bottom edge of the dipnetting zone around the corner. Fresh fish will be coming in along the outside edge of the channel. When you find and boat a bunch, leapfrog with them all the way up the channel until they make it past the point and past the first dock. Fish the middle from the dock down to the point, making a careful cut just outside the nets on the north shore. Swing to the middle of the channel where the comm boat is tied to the buoy and nail 'm between the boat and the north shore. Repeat as needed.

Wish i wuz there.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-25-2011 at 19:31. Reason: misspelled "in", added tide stage

something like this:

~tr

Me no havem boat.

Wish you were too. Misery loves company.

Are you on the North or South bank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast