Thread: Tent input

Default Tent input

I am looking to a buy an all season 2-3 person tent and was wanting to get some input. I have seen a couple of the tents mentioned on here already but any other input you have on them would be helpful. Here are the tents I am considering right now.

Hilleberg Tarra or Jannu
    BD Fitzroy
    MSR Asgard
    RAB Summit Extreme (maybe, its pretty small)

I know there are tons of posts on here about tents. I am sorry that I am asking again but I don't have the ability to go through and read all the posts to figure out what the consensus is. The connection here in afghanistan isn't great and the only time I have to get on here is after or before work for 30 min at a time. Again, I am sorry that i am asking a question that has already been answered a million times but I don't have time to sift through to find them. Thanks

I have a Jannu. The strength to weight ratio is excellent. I find one door is plenty. Easy to set up alone even in the wind and rain. The double wall assures it'll be dry inside even when set up in a downpour. Condensation is simple to manage. Expensive and worth every penny. I can't imagine being happier with a tent.

I have the Jannus brother the Tarra. I had a hard time deciding which to buy between these 2. I opted for the Tarra since it is my designated 2 man tent. These two tents are unique to the others you list in that they are double wall, exoskeleton tents. Outer and inner tents pitch at the same time and can be used separately if desired. Once you've had a tent with this design you'll never go back. I like the looks of the Asgard and have checked one out in the store. But, by the time you get the tent/poles up in the pouring rain and get the fly over it you've got a wet tent. The Fitzroy is a sweet tent if you want a single wall tent. But the vestibule is an add-on and by the time you throw that in the mix your about the same weight as the Tarra and more that the Jannu. I think the Jannu is a better option for a 2 man single vestibule tent. If you want 2 vestibules get the Tarra.

As you can see, I'm biased toward the Hillebergs . I think the Tarra/Jannu exoskeleton tents are a superior design. And Hilleberg fabrics and quality is top notch. Each tent is hand sewn, signed by the seamster and then individually assembled and inspected.

My .02

I have the Fitzroy and I've used it several times this summer and a few times this spring in winter conditions. I think its adequate for 2 people and an absolute palace for 1 guy. 3 folks? Well you'd better be prepared to spoon...

I've never had issues with condensation to date which I've heard is the bane of single wall designs. It pitches pretty much rigid with no flapping in the breeze noise which I like a lot. It takes a little fiddling to set up and stake down but once its done right the thing is bombproof.

My only grump is the vestibule is pretty small and on several trips I've simply just not taken it- particularly when I was alone and not really needing any extra space. Its pretty heavy for a two man tent when you compare it to 3 season tents but in winter conditions this thing shines.

I've never had a Hilleberg so I can't really make any comparisons but compared to several other tents (MH, Kelty, Eureka) I've used the Bibler is pretty sweet.