Thread: Not used to the AK way of salmon fishing what are the best setups for ship creek

Default Not used to the AK way of salmon fishing what are the best setups for ship creek

So started fishing ship creek the past few days due to the decline in bear activity. I am used to running corkies and yarn for kings back in WA state as well as buzzbombs for them in the sound. So what are the "more common better producing" setups people are running? Are corkies and yarn still a good choice up here (pink/chartruse and black is what I used to run quite a bit) or are soaking row and drifting it the better choices?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to get my 5 year old onto a nice alaskan fish (she loves fishing with dad and her last king topped out just over 20lbs back home.)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I'm not sure how well they work on ship creek, but corky and yarn is my favorite setup for kings. I have caught the majority of mine on kings. Vibrax works well too.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

My technique is generally dependent on what the people around me are using. If you have 20 people in a row drifting roe it makes it tuff too chuck spinners. Watch what other folks are doing. They generally have an idea of what is successful. Also head down to BJ's. The dudes in there have helped me out a ton since I moved up.

Roe is the preferred setup for ship creek. The water is really dark and pretty much everybody uses bait down there. I have caught a fish on roe and on vibrax but havent seen anyone flipping corkies down down there. You can float it or deep fish it with a sinker. If seen fish caught both ways. I normally fish down towards the mouth as thats where Ive seen the majority caught but they do get all they way up and Ive seen them caught everywhere. The mud is really bad down by the mouth so if you have a little kid it can get more difficult.

thanks for the heads up.. whats the current roe method? I have never really used a slip bobber and have always been more of a "active" fisher (i might feel out of place relaxing in a chair fishing lol). If anyone could post up how you run a slip that would be great I was fishing at the mouth today lost 2 as did a buddy but honestly think they more less swam into the bait we were using. Saw a few guys flipping earlier up stream but they were not even drifting the corkies it was more less like they were trying to lasso the poor fish.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    thanks for the heads up.. whats the current roe method? I have never really used a slip bobber and have always been more of a "active" fisher (i might feel out of place relaxing in a chair fishing lol). If anyone could post up how you run a slip that would be great I was fishing at the mouth today lost 2 as did a buddy but honestly think they more less swam into the bait we were using. Saw a few guys flipping earlier up stream but they were not even drifting the corkies it was more less like they were trying to lasso the poor fish.
    You basically just tie a bobber stopper or swivel about 3-6 ft above the bobber depending on the depth you want. The bobber then will run free up and down the line and whatever you tied above it will stop the line from continuing through. I typically fix my bobber then just flip it out upstream of the current then after it goes past me (this can take several minutes depending on the current) I pick it up and set it back down on the other side again. There is really no need to cast because the fish get pretty close to the bank and the big ol splash it makes is just gonna chase em away.

You can also tie a sliding weight. They make a little contraption for it. Set that up above the bobber and it will keep youre bait from drifting as far. This method is usually what the people in the lawn chairs are using.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    You basically just tie a bobber stopper or swivel about 3-6 ft above the bobber depending on the depth you want. The bobber then will run free up and down the line and whatever you tied above it will stop the line from continuing through. I typically fix my bobber then just flip it out upstream of the current then after it goes past me (this can take several minutes depending on the current) I pick it up and set it back down on the other side again. There is really no need to cast because the fish get pretty close to the bank and the big ol splash it makes is just gonna chase em away.

You can also tie a sliding weight. They make a little contraption for it. Set that up above the bobber and it will keep youre bait from drifting as far. This method is usually what the people in the lawn chairs are using.
    This is the most successful method to use down there. Your bait is moving and covering more water and you get better hook sets. I see the sliding weight/stationary fishermen lose a lot of fish because there is a whole lot of slack they have to pull before the hook sets in the fish's mouth.

great info thanks guys. Took the little girl down today sadly was low tide and nothing hitting Saw a few old brown boots rolling but thats about it. Well I did see a few guys "snag..errr flipping the opposite site of the river" but even those guys couldn't get the fish to stay put

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    great info thanks guys. Took the little girl down today sadly was low tide and nothing hitting Saw a few old brown boots rolling but thats about it. Well I did see a few guys "snag..errr flipping the opposite site of the river" but even those guys couldn't get the fish to stay put
    Get yourself a tide book or look it up online. Go down 1-2 hrs before tide get setup and fish until about 2hrs after tide.

This morning was horrible fishing. I guess it has something to do with this little storm system that is sitting over us but the fish had lock jaw this morning. I saw only 2 over 10 pounds and 3 very small jacks.

Get yourself a tide book or look it up online. Go down 1-2 hrs before tide get setup and fish until about 2hrs after tide.

This morning was horrible fishing. I guess it has something to do with this little storm system that is sitting over us but the fish had lock jaw this morning. I saw only 2 over 10 pounds and 3 very small jacks.
    Were you down at the horseshoe? It took a while for the first bite and was very sporadic after that. I saw a couple lost and a couple landed that were around 15 lbs. No big fish this morning that I saw. There was a seal lurking around for the whole tide. Maybe he left with a full belly.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    Were you down at the horseshoe? It took a while for the first bite and was very sporadic after that. I saw a couple lost and a couple landed that were around 15 lbs. No big fish this morning that I saw. There was a seal lurking around for the whole tide. Maybe he left with a full belly.
    That is where I was. I was down at the point there. The two I saw one weighed in at 13 the other 16. Im gonna try again tomorrow.

I saw the seal as well so that and the weather are probably messing with the fish. The weather is supposed to be much better tomorrow.

just got back landed 1 lost 1 the one I lost was around 18-20lbs was operator error on my part and did not tie my typical rig and the knot came out at the leader. then 5 casts later hooked into a 8lb jack nothing special but he will be great dinner tomorrow. Saw a few other guys out there landing some nice size hogs. seems the hot time today was around 845-920 tonight.

Saw at least a dozen people walking away with fish from the cable down to the railroad bridge. Many more were lost or released due to foul hooking them. All of them easy 20+ lbs. This was between 6am-7am.

struck out again this late morning. fished from about 11-1 by the handicapped area tossing wiggle warts and spinners. will be down tomorrow at about the same time to try again.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Went down to ship this morning. Set up the way I told you too and paydirt!

Was a down past the second horse shoe where it starts heading towards the mouth.
    DSCN0205.jpg

Went down to ship this morning. Set up the way I told you too and paydirt!

Was a down past the second horse shoe where it starts heading towards the mouth.
    DSCN0205.jpg
    Congrats on finally connecting!!!
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Congrats on finally connecting!!!
    Thanks! It was nice to get a good size one. It was a good fight too so if I dont get another one for a while it will hold me over.