Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fool A Fish

Question Fool A Fish

I've researched Fool A Fish, the bait enhancement/ addative. I'm still skeptical. It sound like it works wonders without ruining you baits (spoons, plug, ie anything you don't want the fish to keep) like other sticky scents do. Is Fool A Fish legal in non-bait fishing zones? Titanium Oxide doesn't strike me as a bait or scent. But would really appreciate the feed back. Its an additive.... So what do you think?

Thumbs down Fishing Scents

It's not legal to use any scent in waters marked artificial lures or flies only.
    According to the regs bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals.

I've read the fool-a-fish literature, and yes, I've tried a bottle of it myself. It's not technically a scent, but if you're using it in non-bait zones you'll have to talk a convincing game and leave it up to the trooper's discretion.

In the SE salt, I've noticed it doesn't work worth a darn (or at least offers NO improvement) vs. my regular methods.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

look, whatever you do, don't break the fish & game laws. that would be wrong. be very careful wherever you go, cause the laws follow you.

I realize that scents and fish or other scent derived baits are illegal. I appreciate the comments, but this isn't a scent in anyway. It allows the fish to see the bait better. There is no smell/ odor. It is an additive, and I can't help but think it would be fine/ legal to use in a no bait fishing area. I'm wondering has anybody seen that it is not legal to use in no bait fishing areas, ie. legal to use on the Situk? Does anybody have any personal experience with it?

That's the point of my post above... Be ready to explain (CLEARLY) just what it is to a trooper.

The literature on the bottle says it's not a scent, and simply reflects UV light off of the lure differently/better... (Think spray-on microscopic disco-ball).

Like all Alaska F&G regulations, if it's not expressly addressed in law (as many things are not) then it's technically legal, but always up to the discretion of the enforcement officer. Most ASTs are trained to look at your "intent" when you get into one of those un-specified "grey areas."

If the trooper believes that it is your INTENT to circumvent the no-bait-or-scent regulation, then you'll be found in violation. If the trooper has the time to read the literature on the fool-a-fish bottle and believes what they write: that it's purely a visual attractant, I don't see a problem.

As I mentioned above, I've used it as per instructions a number of times, and found no change in strike or hook-up rates... but that was in the saltwater near Juneau. Who knows about other situations.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs up

Case You summed it up wonderfully! Thankyou, I was really wondering on legalities, or if it has been addressed in the regs. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Good Fishing

Captk, there are a range of lures, reflectors, and skirts out on the market to make a artificial bait stand out. Not sure if would increase the effectiveness anyway? However, it may be something to consider when creating a brine solution for herring.

bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals.

how else would it attract fish if not by scent?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

monkey-

From reading the literature, it's supposed to attract visually rather than by scent. Think of a bajillion microscopic mirrors to make your lure light up like a disco ball.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And the WD-40 in the back of the boat is strictly to lubricate those lures.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    monkey-

From reading the literature, it's supposed to attract visually rather than by scent. Think of a bajillion microscopic mirrors to make your lure light up like a disco ball.

-Case
    so its spray paint?

any questions reguarding the formula/ product check out www.foolafish.com . The question is legalities in no bait areas in AK. As an addative it seems to be a grey area. With the responses, I don't think many people are too familiar with it. CanCanCase has the right idea, for me... Buyer Beware!!!

It looks like spray paint to me, that would mean its legal

Even the legality of spray paint is up to the discretion of the trooper who's writing you a ticket. If the Krylon you're spraying on your lures has a strong enough odor, it COULD be considered a scent.

If I were planning to use fool-a-fish on the Situk, I would certainly have a copy of the literature explaining how it works along, if only for pure reading entertainment if I had trouble sleeping...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Odorless

"No matter what type of bait, lure or fly you use, you'll want a bottle of Fool-a-Fish in your tackle box. Fool-a-Fish is based on research that shows fish see and are attracted to light in the ultra-violet spectrum, which is invisible to the human eye. Fool-a-Fish is an odorless, colorless compound that causes your bait or lure to shine with reflected ultraviolet light."

Claims to be odorless!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It claims oderlessness, ie. not to smell like bait, W-D 40, or spraypaint, so does anybody know if it is LEGAL, in non-bait fishing zones? Better yet I'll just call ADFG tomorrow, so we don't get it confused with spraypaint again. I know how confusing this can be to some.

See if a phonecall can beat my eMail to the punch....
    Better yet, call an ADF&G office anywhere BUT in SouthEast... I'm curious to see if we can get different answers from them! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Fool a Fish

Captk, what non-bait fishing zones are you referring too? It seems as thought this substance would work best in deep water with limited light? Not sure it would have any benefits in clear running rivers.

from the website it sounds like a waste of money, and on steelies it seems like it would scare then if anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast