Thread: How to approach a rural/remote cabin or camp.

Default How to approach a rural/remote cabin or camp.

How to approach a rural/remote cabin or camp.

If you have ever seen the movie "Out of Africa" when ever someone approaches a house/cabin that is not their own, they call out, "Hello to the House". It is a polite way of announcing your proximity. Why........well I bath outside this time of year. I moved the outhouse in March and now just squat (Carefully) over the hole. If there is a commotion outside and I am in my undershorts, I grab a gun and run outside.

So you can only imagine how quickly today I had the Glock M-24 pointed at the wahoo who had his nose against my cabin window, hands cupped around his eyes looking at me. (Had I grabbed one of the 1911's in all likelihood my ears would be ringing).

This even applies to camps, if you are approaching a camp and don't want to get shot, call out "Hello to the camp".

The life you save could be your own.

What part of private property "Keep Out" is hard for wahoo's to grasp..........?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    How to approach a rural/remote cabin or camp. What part of private property "Keep Out" is hard for wahoo's to grasp..........?
    I am so with you on this, AGL4now. After last year's break-in in my cabin, I posted "Private Property-No Trespassing signs all around my cabin, yet this last week when I went out there, someone had opened my shed door and left it open. I haven't been locking it because there's nothing of value in it, but it really pi$$es me off that someone ignores the signs and trespasses anyway!

I learned, too, to yell "Hello the cabin!" to anyone's cabin before I approach too close. I always yell from a spot where I can be seen from a window. I also keep firearms close at hand when I'm at my cabin.

So what was that yahoo's excuse for looking in your window?

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    So what was that yahoo's excuse for looking in your window?
    It was never clear. I ran outside with the G-24 and he was unarmed. He spoke very broken English. He said he was a friend of the neighbor, and visiting him (We all have 10 acres or 15 acres around here) and said he was just looking around. Which I think was the truth, I think some people are just completely clueless about this type of thing. He was not the least bit upset about my pointing a firearm at him, however he may not have seen it till I ran out of the cabin with it.