Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cure Recipe?

Default Cure Recipe?

Decided this year to start curing my own row instead of throwing away money for the store bought stuff. Anyone have a good recipe for curing roe that will last in decent currents? The stuff I fished with this weekend was very dry and hard and lasted pretty well in the river. I have read lots of internet stuff but nothing seems to stand out as to what I want. Thanks!

I need a good recipe, too. I've heard Yogee on here has a winner, but it's not public info...lol. I can't seem to find one that works consistently, although Nate's Bait is the best I've found at the store (also expensive, so figuring out my own would, in the long run, save me some money). For kings, I add some Garlic oil. I've had good luck with that down at Ship in the past.

Good luck getting some one to let go of there favorite mix. Most guard there brew like fort knox.

I'll throw one out...

Salt the skeins for an hour or two. Add cherry jell-o. Let it sit overnight on the counter. Dry until dry to your liking...

Nates black cherry cure (not the pre-made stuff) has worked well for me this year. I just followed the directions on the label. I think it runs about about $10 at B&J's.

The cure is only half the battle, getting good roe, keeping it from spoiling and keeping the human scent off it is the rest. I use out of the bottle pro glow and it works fantastic for me. I also have dedicated equipment to process it (buckets, scissors, rubber gloves and drying rack). I went to a presentation at the sportsman's show about 15 years ago by Greg Brush and followed what he said...I started catching tons more fish and catch fish when no one else is catching them... Here is some info www.ezlimit.com/articles/FreshEggs.shtml
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Greg Bush has some excellent articles on his web-site folks might want to take a look at as well.Highly suggest reading them.Greg knows his stuff..........

borax and raspberry jello is the only way to go... possibly orange jello, but probably not
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

i bought the book written by scott duhgan or however you spell his name. lots of good curing recipes. so far i've tried only one, borax sugar, sodium solfite, anise oil. had a bite with it down at ship creek this week but didnt set the hook in time.

thanks for the replies! Not tyring to steal anyone's secret but if you're willing to share I'm willing to listen. If not that's cool too. I'm gonna try the Pautzke Fire cure this time and see what happens. The jello things sounds good too! I may eat it before it's done though...

Roe and salt overnight!

Personally I usually just buy some procure and some of their additives and make 2 or 3 batches with different mixtures.
    it is nice to have at least a couple of dofferent reciepes to try on any given day.
    Lots of good reciepes in Scott Haugens book as well: http://www.scotthaugen.com/books/ec.html
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You can't go wrong with a commercial egg cure for salmon like Pautzkes, Amermans, and Procure which contain sodium sulfites. It has been said that salmon are chemical junkies as opposed to Steelhead that prefer a more natural looking and smelling egg. Borax, sugar and salt make a good cure for steelhead. The secrets to a great cure are with the additives. During the curing process you can add anise, tuna oil, sardine, herring and shrimp scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    thanks for the replies! Not tyring to steal anyone's secret but if you're willing to share I'm willing to listen. If not that's cool too. I'm gonna try the Pautzke Fire cure this time and see what happens. The jello things sounds good too! I may eat it before it's done though...
    This is all I used the last two king seasons and it works really well. I typically used orange, but always did a couple of skeins in red just in case. This is the first year I used Nates in black cherry and it did well too.

My recommendation would be to go to BJ's, Sportsman's, Freddy's etc and my 2-3 different commercial cures. (My fav's are nates and pro-glo). Make batches of each and take them all when you go fishing. You would be suprised how one cure will out fish another on any given day. I never go fishing with eggs anymore with less than two different flavors at my disposal. Don't forget to toss in anise, or other scents to add your own twist to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by AKChip View Post
    My recommendation would be to go to BJ's, Sportsman's, Freddy's etc and my 2-3 different commercial cures. (My fav's are nates and pro-glo). Make batches of each and take them all when you go fishing. You would be suprised how one cure will out fish another on any given day. I never go fishing with eggs anymore with less than two different flavors at my disposal. Don't forget to toss in anise, or other scents to add your own twist to the mix.
    AKChip is right... it's going to be very hard to beat a commercial cure as far as production goes. BUT you can't just have one cure for the entire season. As stated above, on any particular day the salmon seem to favor one over the other. In my experience they change their taste every several days or so. It pays to carry a few different cures and colors at all times!
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

This cure has worked for me and it is simple to do with house hold items.

Cut the roe into hooked sized pieces, lay on a board in the sun and lightly cover top side with 1 part sugar 1 part salt. After 4-6 hours, depending on the temps, turn and cover the bottom side with previously mentioned cure mixture. Let sit for another 4-6 until firm but not hard. I like to put my roe in a ziploc plastic container and freeze.

I have used this method with all five types of salmon roe and it has caught many salmon for me.

Procure or pautzkes. Just follow the directions.

I cut my eggs into the cunks I want then cure em up. One way to store them that works well is to use coffee cans filled with borax. alternate borax and eggs in layers. Store them in a freezer.

I have been lazy the last couple egg batches and just store them in freezer bags.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Cut'em up bury'm in borox put in frig. Keep it simple. And the rivers I fish are the cleanest in the state.

So should you freeze them after a few days of curing in the fridge? I plan on using the ones I just cured up Saturday and was just gonna leave em in the fridge till then.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast