Thread: Seward Next Weekend

Default Seward Next Weekend

I am going on a Seward charter next Sunday the 26th, but I will be heading down Saturday morning and staying at the military resort. Will it be worth heading out to the beach off Nash Rd on Saturday or will that be between runs? I would like to try my hand at snagging some Salmon but if it is going to be dry then I would rather stay off the beach and hang out with the family. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated as well.Thanks

It's hard to say for sure. It might be worth trying. The good news is I heard the commfish fleet is done fishing now, so what fish are left will be able to make it to the river. On the other hand, it is the tail-end of the run, so fishing could be slow anyway. I'd still give it a shot, though.

Here's a report for you from another site.

RESURRECTION RIVER: The hatchery Cost Recovery Program has now ended. I guess they got all the money they need. So ADFG has now opened the fishery to the commercial seiners. Their fishing schedule is daily from 6AM to 10PM. The run continues to remain strong. Sport anglers should fish the tides after the nets are out of the water for best results. But there are always some fish that enter the river that get past the nets during the day. ADDITIONALLY the Freshwater section of this fishery is NOW OPEN to sport fishing with unbaited single hook artificials only and the freshwater limit is 3 salmon per day, which only 2 can be coho. See page 58 of the Regs booklet for the freshwater area.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    Here's a report for you from another site.

RESURRECTION RIVER: The hatchery Cost Recovery Program has now ended. I guess they got all the money they need. So ADFG has now opened the fishery to the commercial seiners. Their fishing schedule is daily from 6AM to 10PM. The run continues to remain strong. Sport anglers should fish the tides after the nets are out of the water for best results. But there are always some fish that enter the river that get past the nets during the day. ADDITIONALLY the Freshwater section of this fishery is NOW OPEN to sport fishing with unbaited single hook artificials only and the freshwater limit is 3 salmon per day, which only 2 can be coho. See page 58 of the Regs booklet for the freshwater area.
    Alright, upon further investigation, here's the real skinny from Fish and Game:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1488&year=2011

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    Cora Campbell, Commissioner

DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
    Charles O. Swanton, Director
    Dan Bosch
    Area Management Biologist
    Phone: (907) 267-2153

June 17, 2011
    BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS INCREASED FOR RESURRECTION BAY SOCKEYE SALMON
    Emergency orders have been issued to increase the bag and possession limit of sockeye salmon in the northern waters of Resurrection Bay beginning on Saturday, June 18, at 12:01 a.m. through Sunday, July 31, 2011. In the marine waters north of a line from Caines Head to the north point of Thumb Cove, the limits for sockeye salmon are 12 per day and 12 in possession. In the freshwaters of the Resurrection River drainage downstream of the Seward Highway and Nash Road, the limits for sockeye salmon are 6 per day and 6 in possession. Single-hook artificial lures remain the only legal gear in this freshwater area open to salmon fishing.
    Bear Lake sockeye salmon are managed for a Sustainable Escapement Goal (SEG) of 700-8,300 with an inriver goal of 5,600-13,200 sockeye salmon. As of June 15, more than 8,100 have escaped into Bear Lake, with strong numbers still entering the river. The upper end of the SEG is expected to be exceeded, and the inriver goal will be met or exceeded. Cook Inlet Aquaculture has already achieved its cost recovery goal (146,000 sockeye). Therefore, it is warranted to increase the bag and possession limit for sockeye salmon.
    Commercial fishermen are also continuing to fish on the surplus sockeye salmon. Anglers should expect to see ongoing commercial fishing activity throughout the remainder of the fishery, and expect catch rates to be variable.
    For more information about this emergency order, contact Fisheries Biologist Dan Bosch in Anchorage at (907) 267-2153.
    - END-

So, basically, the fishing remains good enough to continue sustaining the commercial fishing and the snag fishing limit is now 12 fish....which is a lot...I may just go down there now.

Fished it Saturday night and Sunday morning - average catch was way less that 1 fish per person.
    Some tides bring fish, some do not.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Just hit one of the late evening/early morning tides when the nets aren't in the water. I was there on the 4th of June @ 2:00 PM for a 3:45 PM tide. I limited in about 30 minutes. I went out on the 5th at the same time when the nets were out and got skunked. I had only seen 10-20 caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Fished it Saturday night and Sunday morning - average catch was way less that 1 fish per person.
    Some tides bring fish, some do not.
    Disregard my previous post - I was mistaken.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Wow, sounds like a mixed bag of results. It looks like I am going to have to take a shot at it. I will probably be looking to hit the morning incoming tide (high at 9:48). Good news that they have increased the limits, definitely a sign that there are fish to be caught. Between fishing off the beach Saturday and the Sunday charter hopefully it will be a successful trip south!

I am seriously considering a run down tonight and fishing in the wee hours of the morning before the boats hit the water at 6am......

Quote Originally Posted by base5002 View Post
    Wow, sounds like a mixed bag of results. It looks like I am going to have to take a shot at it. I will probably be looking to hit the morning incoming tide (high at 9:48). Good news that they have increased the limits, definitely a sign that there are fish to be caught. Between fishing off the beach Saturday and the Sunday charter hopefully it will be a successful trip south!
    The fish come in with the tide. If you can get there at 0500 you might be pretty successful. It gives you a full hour before the nets drop.

I would love to try that, but I doubt I would be able to convince the wife to get up with the baby early enough to get there by 0500. Here's to wishful thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by base5002 View Post
    I would love to try that, but I doubt I would be able to convince the wife to get up with the baby early enough to get there by 0500. Here's to wishful thinking!
    Yup, same boat. It'd be easier to leave my wife at home but she feels left out if I do that. Then I take her on these all-nighters and she just sleeps....lol.

I see the seiners with their nets out on the way to wrk at 0700 hrs this morning. The fish are there!

Yeah, there were some fish there. I got started too late, though, and was chasing them out on the tide and into the commercial boys nets...lol.

Zero for me.

Why doesn't anyone putt around in there with a skiff? If I could have gotten to a little deeper water where the fish were jumping, I'm sure I could have gotten some.

Well looks like the snagging Sat morning is now a no-go. I am now going dipnetting in the Kasilof Sat morning then to Seward for the charter Sun. Great weekend for fishing!!!