Thread: Unakwik Inlet

Default Unakwik Inlet

I'm headed to Whittier last weekend of June for a family trip and was thinking about heading to Unakwik Inlet. Any one know if their is any fishing in the area? I know the pinks head in their to the hatchery but any other kind of salmon or edible fish? Can you run a inboard jet boat up into Miners lake? Thanks

I'm not sure about the fishing, but I did pretty good shrimpin in Unakwik 3 weeks ago. Caught plenty of non pelagic rockfish in Eaglek Bay.

Alaskabliss i will be headed there on Friday I might see you in there.. 25ft bayliner called the sea hunter I should be there late friday night.
    anyone know if the comm boys will be in there this weekend and is the fishing for pinks or other salmon any good there at this time. I plan to drop some pots and maybe do a little trolling if its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Alaskabliss i will be headed there on Friday I might see you in there.. 25ft bayliner called the sea hunter I should be there late friday night.
    anyone know if the comm boys will be in there this weekend and is the fishing for pinks or other salmon any good there at this time. I plan to drop some pots and maybe do a little trolling if its worth it.
    When I was seining we fished in Unawik but we were there in August. I don't think they will be there this time of year. They are usually fishing Port Chalmers this time of yeart for hatchery chums then on to waters closer to valdez for the pinks in July.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

UNAKWIK DISTRICT: The Unakwik District will open to commercial drift gillnet and purse seine fishing for a 36-
    hour fishing period from 8:00 am on Monday, June 20 until 8:00 pm on Tuesday, June 21.

That's taken directly from ADF&G's Commercial Fishing Announcements. Next announcement is tomorrow, which will probably give you a better idea about this weekend's activity. Just enter PWS in the management area and it should pull up what you need. You can also narrow it down by districts, and Unakwik is one, but if you leave that at "all" it'll pull up all activity in PWS which might help you decide on what to do and where to go.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=cfnews.main

Thanks for the comm fishing update. I won't be headed out till July 2nd so I hope it doesn't interfere with the comm guys. I know Miners lake has a wild red run, not sure when they start running though. It should be a fun trip as long as the weather is kind to me. It seems everywhere I go it's raining and I think i'm starting to grow moss instead of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    UNAKWIK DISTRICT: The Unakwik District will open to commercial drift gillnet and purse seine fishing for a 36-
    hour fishing period from 8:00 am on Monday, June 20 until 8:00 pm on Tuesday, June 21.

That's taken directly from ADF&G's Commercial Fishing Announcements. Next announcement is tomorrow, which will probably give you a better idea about this weekend's activity. Just enter PWS in the management area and it should pull up what you need. You can also narrow it down by districts, and Unakwik is one, but if you leave that at "all" it'll pull up all activity in PWS which might help you decide on what to do and where to go.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=cfnews.main

Thanks for looking that up.
    I just remember sein fishing their in the late 90's but things may have changed since then.
    Drifters are a whole nother story I know nothing about.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's not that big a deal to transit through an area with drift gill netters. The big thing to watch for is to make sure you figure out what bouy goes with what boat. There will be a net between the bouy and the boat. There are floats along the top of the net but often they are very hard to see. If you are not sure, slow down or go way around them.

Or run a jet and gor right over! Kidding. If the water isn't too rough the white bouys arn't too hard too see. If your getting close you will see everyone on the Comm boat waving there arms and freaking out. Just watch out for where you set your shrimp pots, they can't help it if they snag up one your pots. I stay clear so they can do there work and I can get my shrimp.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Went to the river going to Miner Lake in May, no way you could run it in a boat when I was there.

I was there last weekend we didnt catch much but we did manage to get two kings and a chum while trolling out in front of the hatchery. A lot of Ice past there so you will have to watch out for that. We did try for some rock fish but had no luck on that and didnt even mark hardly any fish. When do the reds usually run up there any one know?