Thread: Phantom Sport Jon Diesel

Default Phantom Sport Jon Diesel

Just wanted to let the guys out there know about the FNM marine diesels. I picked up my Phantom Sport Jon & initial run was to the Copper River. The boat handled incredible, plenty of power & extremely stable. Even with seven big guys in it & fifty fish the boat would just jump on step. The 190hp turbo diesel is a real winner especially when I went to the pump to fill up after the trip. For running six hours dip netting the boat used 11 gallons of diesel, almost forgot to mention how quiet the motor runs, even when on step. I had people advise me against the diesel but my trucks are diesel & I bought them because of the longevity of the engine, the FNM marine diesel I'm sure will be the same. With its two fifty gallon tanks you can do the math this boat puts a lot of places within reach without having to hide fuel along the way. Going to Lake Creek this week will give an update on fuel consumption when I get back.

Dip netting 1.jpgDip netting 2.JPG

nice boat.that sport jon is really starting to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_4440 View Post
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana] With its two fifty gallon tanks you can do the math
    At $4.50/gallon, that is $450 to fuel up. Can't you find a harder math question
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Pete,
    Pretty impressive what she will carry and how little fuel used.
    BK

I'd love to see some real fuel burn #'s with this setup, ie, we burned such and such amount of fuel running from the Deshka landing up to Lake Creek and back with such and such amount of wt. on board and averaging such and such rpm and mph. I think it's really hard to get a good idea when the majority of the testing is done while trolling. I have a 200 SJ and can spend all day (12 hrs.) dipping for reds in the Kenai (with the occas. run on step back up to the top of the drift) and never put a dent in my fuel tank. Just curious to see what kind of #'s you get when you come back from your trip to LC.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_4440 View Post
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana] Even with seven big guys in it & fifty fish the boat would just jump on step. The 190hp turbo diesel is a real winner especially when I went to the pump to fill up after the trip. For running six hours dip netting the boat used 11 gallons of diesel...With its two fifty gallon tanks...
    This is a really cool boat, that would be a blast to ride in My guess is that I am reading this wrong, but it looks like 7 big guys, 100 gallons of diesel, plus gear and fish you had a minimum of 1,600#s of weight in the boat...impressive. But are you saying you burned less than 2 GPH at running speed, or was that with a lot of time at idle while dipping? It would be nice to know what you get with two guys and fuel...keep us informed on your numbers.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Now that is how you break in a new boat, fish blood on the floors and a dent on the side of the boat. Did you get the dent in the canyon? Great job filling the freezer!

Here a pic of your boat...with sum weight in it.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I ran from deshka landing yesterday to Lake Creek, then on up to fish lake creek & back. I ran it on step at 3400 rpm & burned 1/2 tank of fuel in the front tank about 25 gallons for the whole trip. Won’t have the exact number of gallons until I fill it up.

I have always felt that the only way to get a good reading is with miles per gallon. Gallons per hour is relatively meaningless without adding in some speed figures or miles traveled. I would be curious how your are doing for MPG with various loads as well.

Do you river runners utilize fuel management systems? It is amazing how much a couple hundred RPMs can effect consumption. They are a cheap addition that will pay for themselves over a season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

any specific brands to look at? Especially for those of us with carbed inboards and no on board diagnostics. I have looked and it seems a good gph gauge (especially those with a small sweep of say 5-30 gph) cost 400-500 bucks. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I would really like to have one that I can read on the dash though, I imagine my driving habits would change drastically.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Do you river runners utilize fuel management systems? It is amazing how much a couple hundred RPMs can effect consumption. They are a cheap addition that will pay for themselves over a season.

Floscan! It is the best on the market but is not cheap. Will give you MPG & GPH [if tied into a GPS system]& gallons used(RPM & hour meter included). It is very accurate on the gallons used.
    http://www.floscan.com
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have the Navman Fuel 3100 for my carbed I/O and it's great. Hook it up with your gps and gives you mpg, gph, gallons used, remaining gallons, estimated distance you can go (at your current speed and fuel usage), etc. Easy to install.

http://www.navmanmarine.net/Navman/T...n.aspx?id=4569

Quote Originally Posted by easthillsfbx View Post
    any specific brands to look at? Especially for those of us with carbed inboards and no on board diagnostics. I have looked and it seems a good gph gauge (especially those with a small sweep of say 5-30 gph) cost 400-500 bucks. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I would really like to have one that I can read on the dash though, I imagine my driving habits would change drastically.

Thanks!
    I was thinking the floscan like MusicMan posted. Money well spent!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I was thinking the floscan like MusicMan posted. Money well spent!
    We've installed the flowscan diesel system in many of the diesel jets boats and one with a volvo re-power. They've been within .5 gallon on total cumulative fuel used so they're pretty darn accurate. The company has great tech support and quickly resolves any issues. If anyone is looking for a system just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    I have always felt that the only way to get a good reading is with miles per gallon. Gallons per hour is relatively meaningless without adding in some speed figures or miles traveled. I would be curious how your are doing for MPG with various loads as well.
    Totally agree, that's one reason we've put the flowscan on many of the boats. They give an instanance gph which you can convert to mpg. Depending on flowscan model used, it will do the math for you if it's tied into the the gps. The diesel with the hamilton have been showing between 5.5-6gph at 30mph @3300-3400rpm with the T2.4 impeller. On the copper river dippnet trip with 7 guys, 70gallons of fuel, and 50 fish on board the boat cruised up river at 19-20mph and was showing 7gph on the flowscan at 3500rpm. I'm not sure how fast the river runs but was moving along at a pretty good clip.