Thread: Haines Alaska Fishing Charter

Default Haines Alaska Fishing Charter

I am having a difficult time finding a fishing charter out of Haines. We are coming in a on a cruise ship and would like to go out for a day of Salmon fishing. Does anybody have any reccomendations on a good charter company?

Thanks.

I don't think there are whole lot of them. Was just down there for a week and kept seeing two charters boats going out, but can't remember the name of them to save my life. Fishing isn't great in Haines, but it is still nice to be on the water!

If you have all day and don't find a saltwater charter you could drive. A couple of places used to rent cars in Haines. You could drive 30 minutes on pavement up to the Chilkoot River bridge and fish roadside. Pretty idiot proof (we did it our first trip). Spinning rod reel throw pixies or vibrax keep them bumping the bottom. Depending on the time of year some/lots salmon, lots of dollies, eagles, pretty setting and often a bear or two. There's a couple of sporting goods places in Haines that ought to be able to help you find a charter.

Try "First Choice Charters" in Haines. Gary and Dorothy are great people. Fishing is spotty but worth going out.
    http://www.fish1stchoice.com/

I noticed in their photos that not too many halibut are represented. And those they did show were kind of on the small side. Also noted that alot of small salmon are represented- is that the norm (halibut & salmon) for the Haines area?

At this time you are early for halibut and late for big Kings unless you are lucky.

Certainly not the port I'd recommend a salt water charter from.

SE Alaska (majority, including Haines) only allowed one halibut and it has to be less than 37 inches on a charter boat, so really not worth the $$$, unless you really just want to get out of the water.

Northway asked about salmon not halibut but L.G. is right any cruise ship stops at better ports for a charter.

I found this post from a few years ago. My name is Chad Clark and I bought First Choice Charters from Gary and Dorothy. We renamed the charter to Kraken Charters and developed a new website at www.catchthekraken.com I'm not necessarily trying to advertise in this thread, just clarify why you cant find First Choice Charters in Haines any longer.

Trolling for Kings is different year to year here in Haines. In 2017 Fish and Game has limited the King sportfishing to catch and release. Our Halibut fishing is great and we do catch Halibut consistantly. The original poster was in search of a charter out of Haines. Hopefully this thread finds new visitors.