Thread: RPM troubles

Default RPM troubles

One of my 200 hp Yamaha's has developed a problem. It runs good up to 4000 rpm's, then the more throtle I give it the more the RPM's go down.
    I changer the fuel filters, checked the plugs, swaped the fuel hoses and checked the fuses. Any ideas before I pull it up to Dewies and have it pluged in?

Hey Glenn, I have a buddy w/ a Yamia 150 & he had a very similar problem lst yr w/ his mtr. The techs discovered a faulty spark plug ignition coil.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    One of my 200 hp Yamaha's has developed a problem. It runs good up to 4000 rpm's, then the more throtle I give it the more the RPM's go down.
    I changer the fuel filters, checked the plugs, swaped the fuel hoses and checked the fuses. Any ideas before I pull it up to Dewies and have it pluged in?

Was this on a Wooldridge boat?

I have a Yamaha F150 and have had issues with the filters in the fuel injectors plugging. When they were dirty a few days ago it would rev up then the rpms would drop and the motor felt like it lost a ton of power. On mine they are really easy to get to, I just unclamp the fuel rail so the fuel drains, unscrew two 13mm bolts and remove the injectors and wipe the insides with a q tip or a papertowel. Alot of gunk came out even though I replace all filters yearly. I'm not sure if your problem is the same but it may be similar.

i just had similar problem. turned out it was a bad injector.

check for fuel pressure, spark plugs, compression, prop issues, extra weight in boat such as water.

I see a trend here, are the Yamahas developing a reputation for troublesome injectors ?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I see a trend here, are the Yamahas developing a reputation for troublesome injectors ?
    Or.... is it poor quality (contaminated) fuel...??????

Well I got back from a trip to Dewies on Friday and after working on it most of the day we really couldn't find anything much wrong with it. We were thinking maybe a fuel line problem in the cable tube going to the motor. So I brought her home to test run it and do some more trouble shooting.
    Well it ran great, went to Johnstone and got some fresh Halibut. Not even a bobble. Se we dont know what we did but it runs for now. If it happens again I will look at the fuel line in the control line tube.
    To bad I missed all that nice weather. Could have done some shrimping.