Thread: Anchorage to Homer fishing advice needed

Default Anchorage to Homer fishing advice needed

A buddy and I will be coming to Anchorage to give a seminar for a German Shepherd dog sport called "Schutzhund". We will stay for an extra 5 days ( July 18th thru 23rd)to fly fish. We have access to a cabin in the Homer area but no further details. We would like to catch salmon and do some trout fishing. Any recommendations? I have heard that the Kenai is ridiculously crowded. Are there any other rivers with Salmon that time of year in these areas? Any great trout fishing recommendations? I know Homer is known for Halibut. Any good trout and/or Salmon fishing there? Thanks in advance. JRib

Quote Originally Posted by JRib View Post
    A buddy and I will be coming to Anchorage to give a seminar for a German Shepherd dog sport called "Schutzhund". We will stay for an extra 5 days ( July 18th thru 23rd)to fly fish. We have access to a cabin in the Homer area but no further details. We would like to catch salmon and do some trout fishing. Any recommendations? I have heard that the Kenai is ridiculously crowded. Are there any other rivers with Salmon that time of year in these areas? Any great trout fishing recommendations? I know Homer is known for Halibut. Any good trout and/or Salmon fishing there? Thanks in advance. JRib
    Bird Creek, Glacier Creek, 20 mile, Portage, Placer, Ingram cr., Granite cr., Canyon cr., Resurrection cr, Sixmile, Ptarmigan cr., Quartz cr. , Kenai, Kasilof, Deep Cr., Anchor., Russian

And thats just the moving water.

With your time frame, I'd just suck it up and fish the Kenai and Kasilof. Best odds for success vs time and money spent IMO.

Reg book is online. It will Tell you a LOT about fishing in Alaska. You should read it.