Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Unit 14c Brown Bear

Default Giant Unit 14c Brown Bear

Just thought I'd remind everyone that truly huge brown bears can come from just about any unit, even those adjacent to large metropolitan areas. While guiding a client during May 2011, we killed a tremendous brown bear in the remote hinterlands of Unit 14c (remainder) that is over nine feet square and which has a 26+ inch skull. I'll post some photos in the near future. It was an awesome hunt and it went right down to the wire, in terms of time remaining and so on and so forth, not to mention following the bear up in heavy alder at near dark and after it was initially wounded. Great hunt. Great weather. Awesome experience. Tremendous bear.

oooooookay! impatiently waiting...........

What are thinking, making a post like this with no story or pics

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    What are thinking, making a post like this with no story or pics

Yeah! What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    ...not to mention following the bear up in heavy alder at near dark and after it was initially wounded.
    What's really on everyone's mind is...where you using a lever gun when you followed that bear?

Sorry, I'm feeling kinda feisty on this Father's Day. I apologize for the hijack.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

And where the hell is 14C.........downtown Los Anchorage......?

Lever gun would be my last choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Lever gun would be my last choice.
    I would like to tip'over a 11' brownie with my 1892 Reproduction .45 LC

Sorry about the delay in reference to posting photos. I've been awfully busy and besides, I haven't even developed the rolls of film I've accumulated even during the past three seasons of guiding. Nevertheless, I will post some photos when I have the time. In reference to the ridiculous remarks concerning lever guns and such, I won't even bother to further acknowledge those irrational comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    I haven't even developed the rolls of film I've accumulated even during the past three seasons of guiding.
    You are using film cameras? Just kidding get those pictures posted!

Yes, I love the versatility of celluloid film. And, I just can't seem to not use either of my OM-1's.

He must have one of those worthless lever action cameras. What a joke! I suppose we'll be waiting a while as he takes it apart and cleans the mud out of it on the beach.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

It's always a curiosity to me how local social mores changed with the coming of oil. Back in the sixties, residents actually respected one another. I guess it's merely a case of present days residents having to justify themselves in some way, or a need to somehow make their existence relevent. Either way, a lever action firearm is very impractical for Alaska and anyone who'd choose that - other than a Ruger #1 - needs to seriously examine their logic. And, although digital photography has unfortunately had serious negative effect on the stock photography trade, it still doesn't negate the supremacy of celluloid film.

Wow, is this a thread about lever guns, film, or a big bear. Or maybe about neighborly virutues.

The OP may be driven away by the drivel. At least he has touted his supremacy as the holder of celluloid bruin photos.

It started out as a friendly report on a huge bear that my client killed this past spring - a huge bear from GMU 14C, or anywhere for that matter. However, somehow someone started a diatribe about lever action firearms and then it somehow seemed to infer that I operate a lever action firearm, which I don't and never would. The bottom line is that my client did kill a very large male brown bear this past spring and he happened to do it in a very remote area of GMU 14C and that can be corroborated via public record. Nevertheless, I plan to post some photos for all the nay-sayers and such, when I get around to developing at least three years worth of 35MM SLR film that was exposed while guiding clients for a variety of Alaskan big game.

Maverick, congrats on the success in 14C, that is a whopper of a bear for sure. Looking fwd to the pics, and though I've switched over to digital it's nice to hear that you are still using celluloid. Man it used to be hard to wait sometimes six months or more for us between time we'd send out film and get it back via snail mail.

Perhaps your taking some of the comments too seriously. You can also choose to ignore a member if you don't like the comment.
    I'm sure most of us are quietly waiting for some pics...........less to prove your post and more just to enjoy photo's of a successful hunt.
    Congrats on the hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

yeah, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the lever action talk, that was just drift from other threads. Also looking forward to the photos.

If humor isn't allowed here, can we designate a forum for the dwindling population that doesn't make the pasttime of hunting into a job, argument, or otherwise unsavory experience?

Perhaps a feature can be created that allows users to select one of a few pre-approved responses to a post about a dead bear. Choose the first radio button and you'll respond with "Congrats man, great job!" or select the second and reply with "There's one less moose eater on the prowl." Clearly the response "Pics or it didn't happen" isn't going to make the cut as we are once again stuck with the reality of catering to the 1%. This is like No Child Left Behind for grown-ass men with rifles.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Once again, I apologize for the hijack. My comment was meant to be taken in good humor.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast