Thread: Motor vs Paddle ?

Default Motor vs Paddle ?

Isn't a canoe meant for a paddle trip? I don't mean to make waves here but this forum is more about how to put a motor on a canoe than how to paddle the current of a river or work the wind of a lake. Maybe the best thing about the canoe is its versatilitity. I really enjoy a human powered nonmotored trip on a river. Any thoughts?

A lot of the oldest canoes had sails
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I enjoy paddling as much as anyone,,
    I would enjoy reading some of your thoughts and stories ..
    Paddle canoes are my favorite, and I am looking forward to sharing ideas and places..
    A few weeks ago I was putting on a paddling clinic here in the kenai refuge on canoeing..
    I had 30 young students and many had never paddled.. it was lots of fun to spend the day working with these kids and seeing many go from being afraid of canoes, to being very comfortable paddling,,
    its one of those activities that you can get good results early and easily and yet you can always learn and improve skills
    I am interested in discussion about it all,, so please post some thoughts ..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

No one said you had to use a specific kind of canoe....I have a whitewater, flat water and a freighter that I put a motor on....just depends on what the situation calls for.....I'm not a big fan of powerboats....a freighter canoe has so much more character than a powerboat.....

I'm a paddler only.

Still training my front man for a river... it will be a couple years yet before he's strong enough though. but then he's only 11 so I'll keep training him up on the lakes for now.

They both have a place and purpose. What I really need is more time off just to be on the river! I admire those with handmade craft (from solo to freighter size)of heirloom quality the most.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Canoes and kayaks have been around for a long time all over the world.They are some of the original "watercraft" after a floating log.Internal combustion engines have been a part of the world for maybe 150 years.The growth of technology has spawned the need for speed.Or at least the want of some to do everything bigger ,faster,and (in their eyes) better.
    Not all of us agree with that idea.Living in the fast paced world we do,sometimes it is desired to slow down and smell the flowers(woods,water,the good clean earth) instead of exhaust fumes and noise.I know that is true for me.Many people are tired of always being in a perceived hurry,and for them and myself,a relaxing day on the water,free of stress,noise,and man made problems is one of the greatest treasures available .Hence our love of paddle craft.

I get what your saying (rising creek) and I'm with you. I own both a square stern with an outboard and a double ender which sadly doesn't get enough use. This forum is for both, but I'm gravitating back to more traditional things in an effort to slow down more and bring less crap. At times my old town doesn't even look like a canoe anymore with all the oars,outboard,trolling motor,fish finder, swivel seats, radio and so on and so on. When I was young it was boat,paddle,rod end of list.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

There is no conflict between motor and paddle for me. I use both and often on the same trip. For the last few years, I've taken my paddle canoe along with my motorized freighter. Once to my favorite isolated place, the double ender is more useful than the freighter. They are both vital to accessing/exploring remote areas.

I paddled thousands of miles in canoes and kayaks and rafts before I ever got a motor. I have an old, old town appalachian.
    I've owned klepper, nautiraid, and feathercraft folding kayaks.I starting coming to Alaska 34 years ago from Colorado to
    paddle rivers and the southeast coast of Ak.Also the Queen Charlottes in B.C. One of my favorite trips ever was the Eagle,
    Bell, and Porcupine in an old town Penobscot. The Noatak in a feathercraft. The Chandalar in a klepper. The Yukon in a
    nautiraid. Etc.
    I mostly got into freighter canoes and motors for subsistence activities. Setting gill nets, hunting, berries. Since I don't
    like most of the available river boats ,that left freighters.
    Also, recreational floating and paddling are some of the most gas guzzling activities you can do. Think of the
    sometimes 100's of miles of car shuttling to do a simple day trip. I can go 15 or 20 miles down the Tanana ,have a picnic,
    fly my kite, roast meat, come back and drive home using less total gas than car shuttling way out the Chena, Chatanika
    or the park. Frequently, you have to use several cars.
    Now when it comes to real trekking, then the paddlecraft come into their own. When I'm ready to go for weeks, then I
    reach for the paddle.
    Lastly, I'm getting older and I've used the hell out of my body. If,some day , the only way to get into the wild lands is in a
    freighter then so be it.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Kandik,
    I agree with you that powered boats have their place.Lord knows I've owned many in my 57 years on this earth.And I will have more as time goes on.I hope I didn't come off as an elitist for paddle craft,that was not my intent.
    I will say that a quiet day on the water ,with just the sounds of waves on your keel,nature's symphony,and your paddle dipping in the water makes a day peaceful and serene for me.I am sure others will agree.

Rising_ Creek
    There is a time and a place for both. Your avatar shows that you are not dead against motors on trails to get you some where that might take forever on foot. So why not a motor on a canoe? A peaceful day paddeling around a lake is about as good as it gets. When I want to get some where up river carrying a load, the motor even with its noise is a very good thing to me. I can always float/paddle back down. I have both a double ender and a sq stern with a long tail. They are both very useful depending on what I want to do.

I have both. I have paddled my canoe in the Yukon, Tanana, Koyukuk, Kuskokwim, Sustitna, Little Susitna and I could go on. I built a cedar strip canoe about 30 years ago that no longer looks nice...but it still only weighs about 45 pounds and paddles great. I also really like the freighter. I bought a 19 foot grumman last year and love it. Can't go up many rivers with a canoe which is what is so great about a motor.

I went up the Tokotna once...from McGrath to Tokotna...it took forever paddling and lining. Came back in only one easy day.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I used a 17 ft. Old Town Royalex Penobscot model to travel in combination with hiking to stake out land up north. Like others have mentioned, I enjoy both type of canoes. My next paddling canoe will be an Esquif Minstral 17.5. Alaska has very little roadside access and it's good to get away from the roads and crowds with a square stern canoe.

Take off from the mouth of the Stickeen on the ebb and paddel hard as you can and you end up stuck in the sand about five miles out the wrong direction
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have 3 canoes (2 square back, one Penobscot) and 4 kayaks and I love to paddle until I hit 62 and had rotator cuff surgery and am not back to normal yet. I hope to enjoy paddling in the future as much as I have for the last 50 years or so but we'll put up with the internal combustion until I get back to fighting condition. Gotta admit that zooming around with the stick in one hand and an ice tea in the other has its appeal!!!