Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: alaska summer

Default alaska summer

On June 15th we headed up Summit Creek Trail in a steady rain. The images in our minds of the crowds at Russian River fishing for salmon and the heavy traffic on the ribbons of pavement began to drift away as the sounds of the highway grew dimmer.

At the start of the trail we passed early evidence of Kenai Peninsula mining activity sculptured out on the mountain side as old overgrown trails. The newer maps reflect this as the Oracle mines, where the older maps show this as owned by Gilpatrick and Sprague.
    summitcreekhike 1.JPG

We climbed higher up out of the tree line.
    summitcreekhike 2.JPG

At the divide we looked over the headwaters of East Creek. At one time there was a Pack trail that ran along East Creek connecting into Resurrection Trail supplying early Hope/Sunrise miners. But todays trail turns left just past the lake and winds its way to Resurrection Pass.

summitcreekhike 3.JPG

Looking back at the divide. The rain had turned to snow for a while here and the main trail was still covered from last winter.
    summitcreekhike 4.JPG

Summit Creek Trail at the intersection where it overlooks Resurrection Pass Trail from above.
    summitcreekhike 5.JPG
    By late evening we had made our destination, the Devils Pass forest service cabin nestled down in the valley which would be our home for the next few days.
    summitcreekhike 6.JPG
    I'll finish this trip up tomorrow...

On Thursday while the crew decided to hang out around the cabin I ventured out towards the Cooper Landing end of the trail.

summitcreekhike 7.JPG

There are Alaska mountain wildflowers here that are a pure pleasure to walk through.

summitcreekhike 8.JPG

Along the way I enjoyed the many beaver houses and dams
    summitcreekhike 9.JPG

and signs of bear
    summitcreekhike 10.JPG

I ended up at my destination for the day with a view of Juneau Lake in the distance.

summitcreekhike 11.JPGsummitcreekhike 12.JPG

On Friday the kids were ready to head out with me so we went towards the Hope end of the trail. They had tired of playing card games of Rummy and were ready to stretch their legs.

summitcreekhike 13.JPG

We left our new friends that were hanging around the cabin and boarded the shoe leather express.

summitcreekhike 14.JPG

There are lots of marmots up in Resurrection Pass and the younger ones seem to play just like school children on recess.

summitcreekhike 15.JPG

We stopped to look over the route we had come down a few days before when exiting Summit Creek trail high above.

summitcreekhike 16.JPG

We made the bend in the trail

summitcreekhike 17.JPG

and stopped for photos at the Resurrection Pass sign

summitcreekhike 18.JPG

On Saturday morning it was time to leave our temporary home, and it was with some regret doing so. I love this section of mountains.

summitcreekhike 19.JPG

The route out a different trail than the one in, the Devils Pass trail.

summitcreekhike 20.JPG

We passed Devils Pass lake and spied from above upon the small fish swimming in the shallow mountain waters.

summitcreekhike 21.JPG
    We stopped at the Devils Pass sign.

summitcreekhike 22.JPG

We dropped lower and lower as we went from our birds eye perch above

summitcreekhike 23.JPG

and left the mountains behind.

summitcreekhike 24.JPG

On June 20th I started my Russian Lakes trail to Seward trip.

This was an extension of the Resurrection Pass trail trip from last year. When we got to Cooper Landing from Hope I wanted to keep going to Seward...so I planned it then for this year.

The first day I hiked in to the Barber Cabin on Lower Russian Lake. As you might imagine, trail traffic is pretty heavy this time of year in this leg of the trip. A lot of folks headed to the Russian River falls for salmon viewing and just getting outdoors. If you've never stayed at the Barber cabin you should. Its a great short hike for a family with smaller kids and a nice cabin to stay in to boot.
    barber6.JPG

It was a little windy so I didn't take the canoe out on the lake, but I noticed that evening a couple of brown bears heading towards the falls on the other side of the lake.

barber7.JPG

On Tuesday the wind had calmed down and lower Russian Lake was as smooth as a mirror. The mountain range and a pair of trumpeter swans reflected in the quiet waters. I headed out early for my next destination, the Aspen Flats cabin about 7 miles away. At the old burn area I came across a black bear with 2 cubs. And then I saw a second black bear.

aspenflats3.JPG
    Finally reaching the Aspen Flats cabin I found the sign to the cabin trail knocked down and chewed on by bears, and I felt at home. This cabin is a little more rustic and more what I'm used to. It sits right on the bank of the Russian River.
    aspenflats5.JPG

On Wednesday I headed up the trail for the Upper Russian Lake cabin. In this stretch of the trail I saw a lot of bear sign, like every 100 paces there was sign. The Upper Russian Lake cabin was built by some old time Cooper Landing boys in 1951, Jack Lean and Frank Towle.
    upperrussian3.JPG

That evening I had a surprise visitor, and then another.
    upperrussian6.JPG

I took the rowboat out onto the lake and went and visited the old Luke and Mamie Elwell lodge built back in 1939. Its no longer in its glory, it has seen better days as its falling apart now. Still at one time this was one of the highlight places to go on the early Kenai Peninsula.

The next morning I headed up the Russian Lakes trail for aways and eventually took the cutoff to the Resurrection River trail that goes to Seward. Somewhere between ten and twelve miles later I was at Boulder Creek took the packraft out

resurrectionriver4.JPG

and crossed over the upper Resurrection River heading to a cabin I knew about on Placer Creek. I was disappointed to see the cabin had succumbed to a flood sometime before, but I was tired and the upper bunk still looked good and though there were bear prints all over in the inside I crawled in through the window and slept like a rock.
    ressurectionriver5.JPG

On Friday I got up early and headed down to the Resurrection River with the raft.

lastday1.JPG

I had a hot cup of coffee and away I went. This river is extremely braided, shallow, and subject to flow change. A couple of times I needed to portage around where the channel cut into a grove of trees. A fair amount of trees hung up on the bottom as well, but over all it was a good ride and 2 and half hours later I found myself at the bridge by Exit Glacier in Seward.
    lastday4.JPG

Very nice photo essay. Thanks for recording your trip. Thanks for the hospitality.

Thanks for showing up I enjoyed the company. Not many would pound out a 20 mile RT to say hi. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Great story and photographs!
    So what was left of the Elwell lodge?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast