Thread: Kenai borough boat tax

Default Kenai borough boat tax

Has anyone had any experience with this tax. Seems like a load of crap to keep your boat on the peninsula. Just got hit up for it for leaving the boat in Seward for the winter. Paying to pay to keep it there doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

If it makes you feel any better, they do it in Whittier too. To top it off, they sometimes send me two bills. One for my present vessel, the other for the one I sold 10 years ago!

I pay the tax, I don't see the purpose of it, but what can you do?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

How are you going to fight it? When I looked it up, it says something like if you keep your vessel there more then 30 days then you would be charged the tax. Homer sent me a tax bill one year with them saying I was there over 30 days, but I beat it showing them that the boat had been moved at day 25. It sucks and ignoring it will not work either, chalk it up as part of the pay to play game and if you itemize your Fed taxes throw on your form as part of your deductions.

I do wonder if they hit up outsiders who spend the summer up here year after year with the same tax??? I bet that would bring a round of protests if they did.

Sure it sucks but at least it is only $50.
    If that hurts your pocket book too much maybe saltwater boating isn't for you.
    Or you can buy a smaller boat those under 20' don't get taxed.
    I have to pay it for my boat and although it sucks it is one of those facts of life.
    As the saying goes "nothing is certain in life except death and taxes"
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Well the charge is $150, not that it matters but just seems like over kill. Spending 30 days on the water a year adds up and all that money goes to their economy anyway. Pay to play definately worth it, just a little shocked that the tax even existed. You would think they would pay us to come down and spend the money there.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster101 View Post
    Well the charge is $150, not that it matters but just seems like over kill. Spending 30 days on the water a year adds up and all that money goes to their economy anyway. Pay to play definately worth it, just a little shocked that the tax even existed. You would think they would pay us to come down and spend the money there.
    Sorry for the mistake obviously your boat is bigger than mine because my 23' boat only cost me $50 a year yours must be 25' or longer to cost $150.
    I don't think I like paying this tax anymore than you do I just accepted it as a fact of life.
    The KPB sales tax of 3% currently is only legally allowed to go to schools. That was part of the discussion at the last borough assembly meeting. Since they can't spend sales tax revenue on anything other than schools it doesn't really matter how much tax revenue this generates for the borough as a whole they can't use the money for other stuff like boat ramps or other benefits to people like you.
    So you spend money in the borough on sales taxes to send peninsula kids to school and pay the teachers and school buildings and thats all your sales tax dollars accomplish.
    Your personnel property taxes on the other hand go into the general fund for all sorts of thing witch may or may not benefit you. Roads and parks etc. etc.
    For those who are wondering heres a link to the Kenai Peninsula Borough personal property tax info:
    http://www.borough.kenai.ak.us/asses..._STATEMENT.pdf
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 06-19-2011 at 12:49. Reason: stupid % thing again

Thanks Chris, that's good info and glad to hear that is going to a good cause benefiting schools and the kids.

I feel Boat taxes should go towards roads and boat ramps or other things that directly relate to boating same with Airplane taxes they should pay for airports and related stuff.
    What really gets me is some of the money collected in property taxes real and personnel gets spent on entities that aren't even part of the borough or have any borough employees or input into how they are run. They spent $300,000 on the Kenai peninsula Tourism and Marketing Council. All borough taxpayers paid so that we could promote more tourism wether we benefit from it or not. And even though they claim to bring back $4.50 in sales taxes for every $1 spent since all that money must by law go to schools it can't be used to pay for the tourism marketing council.
    Now they want to get the voters to approve a .1% increase in our sales tax just to pay for these types of programs.
    .1% may not seem like much but when you add it all up you guys visiting the Peninsula next year might be paying for a lot more than you realize.
    Thanks chuckster101 for supporting more tourism
    Show up at any KPB assembly meeting and you get 3 minutes to speak on each and every topic. It may not get you very far but you at least get it off your chest and let them know how you feel.