Thread: Trail Cameras and Hunting...

Default Trail Cameras and Hunting...

So, this last year I picked up a Trail Camera to use as a scouting tool.

I know a lot of guys use them at their bait stations, but here they do not allow baiting.

So instead, I've tried setting it up in various places including game trails. I haven't had much luck getting any deer with it, aside from one, but this spring I put it out for 3 weeks and got some decent pictures of bears.

I was surprised to find out the bears were coming to the beaches from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM, and I didn't get a single shot at night.

I'd be curious to hear who else is using one of these, NOT at a bait station, and how your success has been?

Any recommendations for setup techniques?

Cool! Pictures. I have done this in the past, mostly on deer. I usually try to find where two primary trails cross. Catch them coming and going :-)
    I plan on using mine this fall on a couple of the salmon streams, just to see what I pick-up. If I get them out I will post them.

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Cool! Pictures. I have done this in the past, mostly on deer. I usually try to find where two primary trails cross. Catch them coming and going :-)
    I plan on using mine this fall on a couple of the salmon streams, just to see what I pick-up. If I get them out I will post them.
    I was thinking about putting one on a salmon stream this fall as well...

I'm just now looking at upgrading to IR cameras. The flash didn't seem to faze bears, but the deer got wary. And came in later and later....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I'm just now looking at upgrading to IR cameras. The flash didn't seem to faze bears, but the deer got wary. And came in later and later....

Chris
    Chris, If you have a Cuddeback Flash. I will trade you my Cuddeback IR for it. I perfer the flash. The IR works great but I do not like the pictures in IR. I caught a bear fight in IR that I really wish I could have captured with a flash

I'll have to double check the brand.. but, they are about three years old now.

Chris