Thread: Another Nube Question....

Default Another Nube Question....

First time in Alaska July 6-13 with family in Anchorage. Looking for any fly fishing info, including what to bring, leave behind, etc. I've got a single handed 8 wt and a two handed 8 wt. and a 5 wt. trout rod. Tips for flying with gear??

Rent waders or bring mine? Flies?? Leaders, tippet? Rivers, streams, etc. Fly shops???

I'm looking to hit the water running and try to have the details figured out ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!!!

I think the first thing people will want to know is where you plan to fish and what different species you are targeting. I would bring my own waders if I were you, but that's just me. I'm a germaphobe.....I would also carry my rods on the plane with me.

Agreed.

For shops, check out Mossy's Fly Shop, World Wide Angler, and Mountain View. All three in Anchorage of course. For fly fishing, you might want to research the many options on the Kenai Peninsula. Troutfitters of Cooper Landing (fly shop and guide service) has a very informative website. Tons of old post here for you to read through. Lovely area to visit, scenic, and a short drive south of Anchorage.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

X2 for troutfitters

Judging by the dates you are coming up I would assume you are probably going to hit the Russian/Kenai. If you're fishing the Russian for sockeye then the basic set-up is a coho fly in any color (you can buy them up here), some #2 and #3 split shot, and 15-25 lb. leader material. Your 8 wt. rod will be perfect for this. I have my split shot 5-6 feet above my fly and I use enough weight to feel it tick the bottom. If you are hanging up then take some weight off. I also use flouricarbon leader. Yesterday I was fishing the upper Kenai and was in a nice hole with lots of fish. I noticed the fish backing out of the way of my rig when it came floating down. I remembered I had some 25 lb. flouricarbon tippet material in my wading jacket that I use to build my own tapered leaders for trout fishing. So, I pulled it out and used it for my leader. I landed my last two fish very quickly after that. Make sure to sit on the bank for a while and watch what the successful anglers are doing. It doesn't hurt to ask questions either. Most people are more than willing to help. This will save you a lot of wasted time flogging the water.

If you travel down to Soldotna you might be able to catch the beginning of the Kenai run of sockeye. These fish are a lot bigger than the Russian run. However, I usually don't start fishing them until about the 12th of July and it doesn't pick up until the middle of July (15th-20th). Like others have stated earlier, if you want to chase trout then hire Troutfitters to take you out on the Kenai. You can walk the Russian by yourself and be successful, but I would stop by Mossy's in Anchorage or Troutfitters (they have a fly shop as well) and let them set you up. Both shops are a wealth of knowledge.

I never travel anywhere without my waders and 3-8 fly rods (seriously, I have a problem) well actually I didn't bring fishing gear to Minnesota in March but you know I thought about it...

Check your waders and carry on your rods, they will put them in the closet if they don't fit in the overhead.

I haven't fished the rod system in that time frame for 5 seasons but back in the day I did a lot and thats King time in my book, the 8wts will be perfect, still looking for good places to swing to them myself but streams up north are worth a shot, talk to Mahays or Tri River in Talkeetna and go on a drop off. the 5wt 2 hander will also be lots of fun up that way, consider getting a 4 wt not only is it a perfect trout rod for down there but I wouldn't want to catch grayling on anything bigger than a 5 and i bet you'd want to catch a grayling or two...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks guys!!! Looking forward to getting up there. Can't Wait!!!!! I'm open to whatever species is available within reasonable driving distance from Anchorage. I've been in touch with both Mossy's and Troutfitters and they have been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I never travel anywhere without my waders and 3-8 fly rods (seriously, I have a problem) well actually I didn't bring fishing gear to Minnesota in March but you know I thought about it...
    I think I would have actually packed the gear : )