Thread: Smokers

Default Smokers

I was wondering if there was anywhere that I should look to get a new smoker. I want a horizontal offset like the 16" or 20" Yoder Smokers or Horizon smokers similar to this

I am not interested in the thin walled, leaky char-broil, char-grillers and brinkmans found at Freds, Home Depot, Lowes and Wal-Mart.

So if you know where I could go to check some out I would appreciate it.

I am in the Mat-Su.

anyone????

can't tell you anything about the one pictured though I'm sure someone local could fabricate something similar. Really no reason for the smoker to be made of expensive metal though.

Will throw in my two cents on smokers, I think you would be light years ahead purchasing racks new, or salvaging used, and building a large wood box or small shed with shelves to support the racks. cut a hole in the bottom and pipe the smoke in from one of the small cheap smokers or you can just get the coils and use them.

Use burlap for the door and staple it shut for easy opening. You will be able to smoke far more fish and meat and far easier than with one of those $500 ridiculous pre-fab jobs.

Just saying.

Don't know if it's what your looking for, if it isn't it might be worth while to give them a call.

http://www.alaskabbqsupply.com/

Andweav - I know it doesn't have to be made out of expensize metals however the current offerings don't really cut it the sheet metal smokers don't retain heat well my current smokers temp dropped 100 degrees in the blink of an eye due to wind and have massive air leaks. A smokehouse is a little bigger than I am looking for and not quite as mobile.Grizzly1 - thanks I had seen them but really am looking for one that is charcoal and wood burning. I have a propane vertical smoker right now and want to go lower techThanks for the replies

I have used Traeger grill/smokers for many years to smoke, grill, and BBQ my foods. I now have gone to MAK grills for they are built alot better and are made with stainless steel. Traegers are now made in China and are made with cheaper metals. I'm not knocking them they are a good grill and will work, they aren't made as good as they use to be. www.makgrills.com is the site to go check out. Their a couple of forums like this to go check out and get alot of info from. www.pelletheads.com, www.pelletsmokers.com, www.pelletgrilloulet.com, www.bigpoppassmokers.com plus there are others you can search on google. These sites are full of great info related to wood pellet grill/smokers that are worth checking out. There are also many kinds of wood sick burner units out there but I feel they aren't as simple to use as the pellet grills are plus it's hard getting the different flavors of wood up here to Alaska.