Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 212 pulling to right

Default Hamilton 212 pulling to right

I've got a issue with my Tjet pulling to the right and it is frustrating the heck out of me and my arm. I know it's not the cable and the steering nozzle bushing seem good. I replaced the brass steering knuckle last year and it didn't change anything. Any one else deal with this problem? My tiller arm and steering wheel are in the straight position but it seems the nozzle is kicked a touch to the right. I was told to adjust the steering but it seems like I am covering up the actual problem since everything seems in alignment. Please, any tips from the great boating forum???

Sounds like a trim tab/ torque steer problem to me. Check out this thread of a member with a similar issue.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight-hard-left

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had the same problem with my 2006 Customweld Kodiak Marine 350 Hamilton 212 last year. My nozzle was also kicked out to the right when the steering wheel was straight. I adjusted the cable to get the nozzle dead straight. This adjustment made a huge difference and is pretty easy to complete. I un-bolted the bracket were the steering cable goes through the nylon ball. Once you have the ball loose you can screw it up or down the cable until the nozzle is straight. Bolt the bracket back together and give it a try. Preferably in a lake.

I don't want to step on this thread... but... My OB jet is doing the same thing. Super easy to steer right and hard to steer left. I figure I need to bend the fins in the outlet nozzle but I don't know which direction to bend them.

EZ, Can you just loosen up the nut on the shaft where it connects to the cable and then spin the shaft?

Stid, I seen that thread but I don't belive it applies to my boat. The 1/2" aluminum that extends beyond the transom is straight and not dinged up. I'm not willing to cover up the problem with trim tabs. I'm on the slope right now so I can't look but, if I installed the steering crank backwards would it cause this problem?

I'm not sure. The only way I could do it was by moving the nylon ball. You may have a different setup on your boat. I'm also on the slope right now at Kuparuk. Where are you?

Prudhoe bay

Had the same problem with my North River. Found nothing apparent on the boat anywhere to cause it. Silver Streaks installed trim tabs and solved the problem with just a slight movement of the tabs. Before tabs the boat would head to the starboard bank when you took your hands off the steering wheel. With a slight movement of the trim tabs the boat tracked true. Trim tabs also helped smooth the ride in PWS.

LuJon,
    Bend the tabs in the exhaust port the direction the boat tends to turn or wander. Very easy, doesn't take much to make a difference.
    BK

Pop the nozzle insert out and rotate it 90 deg.Some 212 inserts seem to be machined little off center.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    LuJon,
    Bend the tabs in the exhaust port the direction the boat tends to turn or wander. Very easy, doesn't take much to make a difference.
    BK
    THANKS!!! I will give that a shot when I get back home this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Pop the nozzle insert out and rotate it 90 deg.Some 212 inserts seem to be machined little off center.
    Do you mean the whole nozzle or is there actually a insert in the nozzle? I need to get home and do some investigating, 5 more wake ups to go

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Do you mean the whole nozzle or is there actually a insert in the nozzle? I need to get home and do some investigating, 5 more wake ups to go
    I researched the Hamilton manual and found there is indeed an insert. I think my problem might be my steering crank in in backwards. If you install it backwards and flip a bracket on the bottom it will give you 8 degrees of up nozzle. By only turning the top I think it is giving me a degree or two of right nozzle. When I get home I am going to tear it down and check it out. I had originally tore it apart to check impellars and do a thorough inspection. It seems like it was after that that I started experiancing the right pull.
    I have had many suggestions about trim tabs or adjusting the steeriing to eleminate it but I want to find the actual problem causing it. we will see!

Cool, good luck. Lets go for a run up to Knik glacier when you get home. Ive still got 12 days of R/R to burn before I have to go back. I work over at Endicott.

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I would love to but headed to PWS to re-supply my freezer with shrimp. River running is a blast but not as fun as sitting fat and happy with a belly full of fresh shrimp while enjoying the scenery. Actually the dinner menu for the second night out is shrimp pasta in alfredo sauce and garlic bread. YUM!

I would love to but headed to PWS to re-supply my freezer with shrimp. River running is a blast but not as fun as sitting fat and happy with a belly full of fresh shrimp while enjoying the scenery. Actually the dinner menu for the second night out is shrimp pasta in alfredo sauce and garlic bread. YUM!
    Great minds think alike,,, have fun and good luck.

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve, that is making me so hungry. That is one of the best things about PWS. Go out with the family and have a blast catching fish and shrimp and then eating it that night. The food is better than any fancy restruant in the world all cooked on a propane camp stove!

Steve, that is making me so hungry. That is one of the best things about PWS. Go out with the family and have a blast catching fish and shrimp and then eating it that night. The food is better than any fancy restruant in the world all cooked on a propane camp stove!
    The views from the table are hard to beat as well!!!

Founding Member

That is one of the nicest beaches I have seen in PWS, and weather!

I was thinking,Get down and take a peek at the leading edges of that stator,That impeller spins that water While shoving out that nozzle,And the stator straightens it out before it leaves, If they where worn, chipped, bent. Might not be doing it,s job. and they could let the boat pull hard to the right. Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast