Thread: Flathorn

Default Flathorn

I was wondering if anyone on here was on Flathorn Lake last Sunday? It was an airboat with a moose horn stincil on the rudder. I was in the airboat you flew past. I wondering what you had in that thing? I don't usually see to many boats down there and was just curious.
    Thanks
    Chad

Just curious Lucky, how did you get your boat to Flathorn. I saw a vidio a while back, assume it is still around on u tube, of a boat going cross country following a trail from the Su to Flathoarn, is that the only way in? I'd like to know more about it. PM would be fine if you perfer. Bud

You can get in from the big Su. A creek runs all the way to it. If the water is high you can get into it with out needing a airboat but it's pretty narrow. Look at google earth and you will see it from the south western shore of the lake down to the Su.

You can get in with a prop at regular level too. Fish creek going into the lake is a little tricky but doable if you have trim. Took a cabin package in for a customer last Friday. It's a pretty cool ride for pleasure going up Fish Creek too. Just dont haul too fast as it is tight corners most of the way!

Alexander, whats the depth up by the lake? Would like to take the Tjet up and do some fishing. Don't say I can't make it either, it will make me try to prove you wrong and that can get expensive for me. Just give me a depth and I will decide if it's doable

Pretty **** low right now. Fish creek is fine but there are logs right where we cross on the gas line so stay to your left there. Past that you have to idle thru a s curve with logs and a abandon dock (no wake zone) hehehehe. Once you get to the lake it is very skinny, right no maybe three inches. Normal water a foot or so. Someone put up spruce boughs in what channel there is so follow them and then head to the middle of the lake. Problem is WEEDS!!!! I would recomend a kicker once you get in the lake.

How far is the run from Deshka. If fishing I would assume there are pike there. How about moose and ducks in the fall. I'm interested in taking a ride there and checking it out. Bud

70-80 miles round trip via jet boat, one nice thing about airboats you can take the short cuts and save 20 miles. I donít know if the wind blows up or down river and if itís a problem.

I think I will have you take me Alexander instead of my weed sucker. That is the kryptonite for my boat. I have spent some interesting afternoons on the salt about 100' from shore with a plugged jet. It is amazing how fast you can clean it out when your staring at the surf breaking over the jagged rocks with a stalled pump. Lesson learned? Don't make the kid drive the boat when he doesn't want to. His pay back was a very large weed bed and a smile... Until I was done with him. He stays far away from weeds now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    70-80 miles round trip via jet boat, one nice thing about airboats you can take the short cuts and save 20 miles. I donít know if the wind blows up or down river and if itís a problem.
    Sometimes it's hard to get back out of the lake with a south wind, especailly in a long barge!

I'm interested in going into Flathead and will make the trip in the next couple weeks or so. I'm new to all this, and with a airboat also, so still feeling around when I go someplace I havn't been. Did hit Flathead once a number of years ago on a snow machine, actually was kinda lost and figured out later where we were. I want to look it over for possibly coming back moose hunting, looks like it should be a good area, and I do a lot of duck hunting. Does the area get a lot of ducks, would it be worthwhile setting decoys and camping and staying a couple days just to hunt ducks in Sept? Hey Moose, I wouldnt mind knowing more about the short cut you are refering to, pm me if you perfer, or let me find it myself. Any of you can pm me if you perfer to keep info more pvt. Have a good evening. Bud

Ducks are better down river from Flathorn. Pretty close to the inlet around Percy and Beluga Slough. You can follow these sloughs quite a ways inland!

These guys have pretty much hit it all on the head. We have taken a thunderjet in there before but right now to shallow. Alexander is right, better duck hunting down close to the inlet. The moose hunting- well I know they are there but several of the guys with cabins hunt it pretty hard.
    It takes me about 1.5 hours from the Deshka to the lake. I am going about 30 mph in an airboat cutting every corner I can.
    Chad

IMG_1618.JPGIMG_1614.JPGThis is a trip up Fish creek and into Flathorn LakeAttachment 0

This is comming out of Fish Creek into the lake. Shallow, very shallow! IMG_1616.JPG

Thanks for the information and pics. Bud

The short cuts I am referring to is, I do not run the deep channels jet boat normally take. I plot the shortest distance between points on my GPS and when I am coming back I have a track of my trip and this helps to shave off more miles. This can get you into trouble if there a lot of log jams and youíre going down streams you have to watch out for water going under the logs. Just last week I jump a 12Ē log that was on dry land trying to get back into deeper water.