Thread: Super Newbie Questions

Default Super Newbie Questions

So I fly fished for the first real time the other day on a Parks Stream and had a good time. I then went and purchased a cheaper fly rod so I could have my own, but I do have some questions if you guys could help me out...

Keep in mind I will probley be chasing rainbows or dollies on the park hwy streams.

1. Floating line, sinking line, or slow sinking line, what do you think would be best?

2. Ive heard a million different ways to connect your leader to the flyline? What is the best/easiest way you have found?

3. Any other tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

For what your doing I'd go with floating line. Most new fly lines have a loop on the end so you can go with a loop to loop to get your leader on. If not a nail knot works. Go into 3 rivers and they will help you out. Great guys and they will show you what you need.

1. Floating.
    2. Nail knot or loop to loop. Goggle fishing knots & learn how to tie the various kinds of knots. You'll need to know how to tie: blood, surgeon's, improved clinch and palomar are just a few that are handy to know.
    3. get some "thingamabobs" or corkies (to use as strike indicators). Stock up on some beads (they'll be needed as soon as the salmon start spawning). Lots of splitshot. Flesh flies, egg sucking leeches, wooly buggers & a few dolly llamas or other streamers (minnow/smolt immitations). Tippet material - I've found 6# to 10# test floro carbon to be most useful.

This is going to sound stupid, but what is tippet material?? is that the mono that goes after the flyline? Thanks again. I used dolly llamas the first time out and did well (caught 5 lost 4 or 5 more)

The tippet goes after the leader. Most people up here just use one strait piece about the length of the rod after the flyline, dependingon the type od fly of course. Shorter if nymphing, longer if dry flies. Confusing huh? no worries you will learn soon.. I know I did

I have an extra spool for my reel and use both floating and sinking line depending on conditions. For nail knots I have found the tool they sell at sportmans warehouse to be just the ticket for me. Like this one, have fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nip-N...h-All+Products

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    This is going to sound stupid, but what is tippet material?? is that the mono that goes after the flyline? Thanks again. I used dolly llamas the first time out and did well (caught 5 lost 4 or 5 more)
    the leader attaches to the fly line (to the fly). Most flies 'turn over" easier if you use a tappered leader. You can buy them made that way or make your own, start with some heavy mono (25 - 50 lb test) & step down, in 12" to 18" lengths until you reach the fly. The last section at the fly is the "tippet". When you fish a sinking line, you can usually get away with a short (3'-5') piece of straight leader. For fishing a floating line, you may sometimes need a much longer leader (like maybe 10' or 12' long). When you cast a long leader with a small fly you will often get a ball of mono with the fly stiitng on it at the end of your cast, unless you use a tappered leader.

What is with the timed out messages? I had spent a fair amount of time getting info to post to this thread but it is now lost due to some timer.

Anyway, the above tying instructions are as good as any and will get you on your way to having your gear spooled up. As for what tippets and fly lines do apparently I do not have time to type an explanation....even at my regular 40 - 45 wpm typing speed.

A bunch of us where having that problem. Make sure to click the little remember me box when signing in and then it should work better for you. At least it has me and I'm slow at typing.

I use the Tie-Fast nail knot tool. Any decent fly shop should have it, if not Cabelas does. A child could use this thing. Just takes a few seconds to attach leader to your fly line.

For leaders, I use tapered leaders. They work great and I don't feel like tying all the knots required if I was making my own. They work well for me and I carry them in varying lengths from 7.5' to 10'. If I need something else, I often use 10lb, 12lb, etc.. Maxima flourocarbon. It is on a 30 yard spool and is good stuff. Seaguar (msp?) also makes some very nice flouro on spools.

Fly lines, a floating line would be most popular in "most" situations. Certainly would be the first to acquire. After that, my Scientific Anglers mastery series "wet tip" type III 12-15' sink tips get the most usage. Depends on where you fish man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanks guys for all the info! I really do appreciate it! Ive been a hardware guy all my life and this is just a new chapter. Im not going to give it up but this was alot of fun and just want to experience how the other guys live! Thanks a bunch

Flyfishing will change your life

MARK IT DOWN

I don't trust nail knots at all after loosing several fish to them (and a fly line) use the albright knot, not only is it faster, easier and stronger than a nail knot, but it requires no special tools.

Other ways I like are
    -loop to loop (most fly lines have built in loops) use a surgeons loop on the leader or a figure 8 then loop to loop
    -Tie a 2 wrap cinch knot with your fly line onto a loop on the butt end of your leader (this is also useful for attaching T-14 on a floating fly line with no loop, tie back to back cinch knots)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I don't trust nail knots at all after loosing several fish to them (and a fly line) use the albright knot, not only is it faster, easier and stronger than a nail knot, but it requires no special tools.

Other ways I like are
    -loop to loop (most fly lines have built in loops) use a surgeons loop on the leader or a figure 8 then loop to loop
    -Tie a 2 wrap cinch knot with your fly line onto a loop on the butt end of your leader (this is also useful for attaching T-14 on a floating fly line with no loop, tie back to back cinch knots)
    How did you lose the fly line if the knot failed? My tippets break or my leader breaks well before I lose my fly line. I like the albright, but I've never had any issues with a nail knot. They are dang near the same thing. I agree the albright is easier (tool-less) and stronger.

2 wrap cinch over a loop is a halibut hitch in long lining-- if I'm understanding what your saying there.

Another useful knot to know is the no slip loop. The surgeon/double surgeon as well.

Absolutely start with a floating line. This gives you the most versatility. You will be able to fish dries and then weight the tippet to fish nymphs near the bottom. You can also get away with stripping some heavy streamers. I recommend starting with Weight forward, again for versatility and casting ease, particularly if you are new to fly fishing.

Nail Knots are great for tying the leader to the fly line and if done correctly should never let you down. I have never had that knot break - ever. The video of the tie fast is great - I have and use that tool.

In terms of what to put on the end of your line... time to hit up a friendly guide and a fly shop.

Tight lines!!!