Thread: Culross Camping Spot Info Needed

Default Culross Camping Spot Info Needed

I'm planning on an overnight trip and was wanting to camp near the south end of Culross Passage. My plan is to camp/shrimp in that area and make a run over to Knight Island for halibut during the day. Anyone care to give up a good spot for tenting it on the beach or suggest another spot to stay for the night?

Rob

If you have a top on your boat that is the best spot to camp, right on the boat. I have found the North Eastern side of Applegate Island is a nice spot for a fire, plenty of drift wood and then anchor in 60 feet of water and camp in the boat. Unless the weather is coming out of the east you are very protected. Most of the places I have looked to pitch a tent is very wet and has a lack of anything dry to burn.Their is a nice point in long bay on the right (north side) as you go in that has a pretty nice spot to camp, watch out for the black flies when on shore though. I sleep on my Tjet and stay very dry and no bugs...

not tried it personally, but the area around/behind Mink Island looked pretty good...?
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Thanks for the info. I'll check around there.

It can be really, really buggy, as others have mentioned. That's the only down-side I have with PWS. Those freakin' biting flies and sometimes noseeums can be horrible.

If you can overcome that, it's great. Hope you find a good spot and have a great trip! I've only anchored in Culross and spent the night on the boat, so I can't help much with camping spots.

Yeah, I'll gonna take my bug magnet and hope for the best. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Old fashioned "mosquito coils" are a great no-see-um and biting fly deterrent for camp and on the boat deck at anchor. If it's too damp out, though, you can't keep the darn things lit. :-(

I was just in the Mink Island anchorage last night, and not sure where you would put a tent, but it may be possible. Another option is down at deepwater bay. We walked around the two islands and there was places for tents there, but we ended up putting everyone on the boat for the weekend which was cramped but fun (10 people on a 31' boat!). I think the best spot would be at the bottom of Colross between Applegate and Colross. If you go to the place where there is a small strip of grass and then beaches on both the east and west side, and then walk south up on the hill you are on a really neat pennensula that has many great camping spots. PM me if this does not make sense and I can give you coordinates or a better description.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jrogers.. Thanks. About to head out now. I'll look for that spot there.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I'm planning on an overnight trip and was wanting to camp near the south end of Culross Passage....Anyone care to give up a good spot for tenting it on the beach or suggest another spot to stay for the night?
    robbenter,

There is a popular camp site in the east side of Culross Passage at the south end of Culross Island. It gets used by both kaykers and power boats so someone might be there already. You will see a gravel spit at the souther tip of Culross Island where you can beach the boat. The tent spot will be to the left in the trees. Watch for rocks left of the beach, check out where they are located during low tide. I would recommend anchoring on the west side of the gravel beach as the east side is more exposed to the weather. As far as dealing with bugs on shore, we use a screan house for our kitchen and to hang out in. Much easier for keeping kids and adults happy.

Doug

Jrogers and AKExplore, Just got back from there. What a beautiful campsite. Yeah, the bugs were a little bad, but the great site and scenery made up for it all. Fishing and shrimping was OK. Caught a couple Octopus in the pots. Cool.... We had a blast both days. Thanks for the info everyone.....

Rob