Thread: Pre Float King Salmon logistics

Default Pre Float King Salmon logistics

Guys,

I posted this in another section but am duplictating here in hope of getting more responses. What kind of grocery store shopping can I expect when we get in to King Salmon on the day before our American Creek float? We are planning on bringing Mountain House meals for about half our food, but want pick up some sandwich meats, burgers/dog/ chicken etc. We will need coffee and all those little ancillary items. Can we get dry ice anywhere in town? Would also like to hear what yuo guys have done to get creative with meal planning.

Also, is there some place in town we can leave ay gear we dont want to bring into the bush with us?

Any info is appreciated.

Check with George Riddle Blue Berry Island Lodge he has a web site great guy always willing to help.

Call Alaska Commercial in King Salmon concerning your food need 907-246-8036

AC is right across from the airport but the selection is horrible and the prices are rediculous, if you can wrangle a vehicle go to the store in Naknek. no idea where you can get dry ice I'd just use normal ice, it works just fine. Not sure why you'd bring any gear you wouldn't float with, but I can't think of anywhere you can store stuff, maybe check with the king co? I'd probably get the stuff I needed in Anchorage...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post
    Would also like to hear what yuo guys have done to get creative with meal planning.

On remote fly in float trips, weight/volume are always obstacles when planning meals. Also, if you are not carrying a cooler, you have more to factor in. While there are many ways to do things, some work better than others. Each float trip, we revise our food choices, holding on to what worked last time, and improving on food choices we were not so happy with. Below is a brief run down of how I do things. Perhaps some of this information will generate some thought.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Chilli-Mac, spaghetti, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon. We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two per person should be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mousse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

For coffee, only Peet's arabian mocha java or major dickisons blend will do. Order online from Peet's and specify that you want press pot grind. You do this when finalizing the order. Get a french press to take on the trip. I have a stainless model that I got from Campmor. I think they quit carrying that model, but REI and others carry it. GSI also makes some lexan french presses. They work fine, I just preferred the stainless model. Point is, this makes great coffee and it is the perfect way to start a day on a float trip. We get small 16,8,4 ounce nalgene bottles (campmor) and put the coffee, powdered creamer, and sweetener in them. Good stuff man.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

try the new starbucks instant packs. Usually not a huge starbucks fan, but the instants aren't bad and they are perfect for packing. Costco sells them, I keep a box in the camper now.

Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post
    Guys,

I posted this in another section but am duplictating here in hope of getting more responses. What kind of grocery store shopping can I expect when we get in to King Salmon on the day before our American Creek float? We are planning on bringing Mountain House meals for about half our food, but want pick up some sandwich meats, burgers/dog/ chicken etc. We will need coffee and all those little ancillary items. Can we get dry ice anywhere in town? Would also like to hear what yuo guys have done to get creative with meal planning.

Also, is there some place in town we can leave ay gear we dont want to bring into the bush with us?

Any info is appreciated.
    The only thing I have to add is that every one of the food extras you mention you want to buy (i.e., "sandwich meats, burgers/dog/ chicken etc. ") is a really bad idea to take into the field and/or cook out there. You will greatly increase the likelihood of attracting bears into your camp during and after meals cooking and eating this kind of food (especially at night); people who make this mistake, and suffer the consequences (generally, losing all their food, having their tent, raft, and belongings messed up by animals, do it only once in their lifetime. Meats can attract bears even when wrapped in plastic, and stored on ice inside a cooler. My practice (and honest advice) is don't even consider it. Read Dan's post.

Do as Dan says - - limit your cooking to boiling water; if you can't resist the urge to cook food - do it in the middle of the day while you are on the move ---- NOT where you camp (like the zatarain's/fish gumbo - it takes about 30-40 minutes - great meal but quite the scent cloud - do it for lunch on river-side miles from potential overnight spot).

When are you headed to King Salmon? I wouldn't trust King Salmon or Naknek if it before the 4 of JUly. Commercial Fishermen clean out the store and it may take 2-5 days for them to get restocked. You will save more than the excess baggage fee just in the prices paid if you are getting $100 in Anchorage. Word on the net in Nak/King Salmon milk $9.95 just to compare... If you have few days mail stuff to Branch River Air or who ever you are flying out on, get permission first. Better give a week at least from Anchorage unless next day is used.<BR><BR>George

I'm with George. I don't mind coming up short on some things, but food isn't one of them. Be sure of your supply. Eating oatmeal only for the last 3 days might get old!! Ha. Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    The only thing I have to add is that every one of the food extras you mention you want to buy (i.e., "sandwich meats, burgers/dog/ chicken etc. ") is a really bad idea to take into the field and/or cook out there. You will greatly increase the likelihood of attracting bears into your camp during and after meals cooking and eating this kind of food (especially at night); people who make this mistake, and suffer the consequences (generally, losing all their food, having their tent, raft, and belongings messed up by animals, do it only once in their lifetime. Meats can attract bears even when wrapped in plastic, and stored on ice inside a cooler. My practice (and honest advice) is don't even consider it. Read Dan's post.

Do as Dan says - - limit your cooking to boiling water; if you can't resist the urge to cook food - do it in the middle of the day while you are on the move ---- NOT where you camp (like the zatarain's/fish gumbo - it takes about 30-40 minutes - great meal but quite the scent cloud - do it for lunch on river-side miles from potential overnight spot).
    that's right, eat rice cakes,....lots and lots of rice cakes....nothing that has any smell to it whatsoever....perhaps some tofu burgers....

Come on guys, it's summertime in Bristol Bay....there are milions of salmon around...and you are going to bring a bear running with the smell of your food (and as if meat is any greater an attractor than a snickers...or cornbread...or boiled chili..)...I think not. I work and live out here and just keep a clean camp, don't cook in your tent, and don't crap yourself about bears.....please, just go enjoy and be smart, not paranoid. My first summer in the bethel region, I watched an old prospector talk our group out of a big ol slab of sweet (and expensive) bacon by telling some tall tales about how bacon is the devil.....I wasn't there until the deed was done and I was gobsmacked they had given it away. SO, every time I opened a can of something etc. I would take a good deep whiff and say.....good thing this doesn't smell,,,, cuz then a bear might come and eat us.

This stuff is a bad idea only because it is hard to keep good unless you freeze it before going and open your cooler sparingly. Other than that, leave the reality show BS to TV.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys. Much appreciated. We have decided to buy all dry goods here in Colorado and ship them to the hangar. We will eat some meat, dollies and othe such luxuries on the trip. Common sense, clean camps and a general awareness will trump fear on this trip.

smart, pmo. You can live on mostly dry goods for a week, probably get more fishing in anyway with simpler meals, and avoid any chance of animal issues. Catch it's right, the bears are generally more interested in fish and berries, but they can be trouble wandering into a camp. This is not common, but in such cases - I would say that the wrong food choices, cooking, fish/game storage/cleaning, and/or some other camping habit is responsible for roughly 100% of the problems.

Just a rough estimate.