Thread: King Salmon logistics at the start of our float

Default King Salmon logistics at the start of our float

Guys,

What kind of grocery store shopping can I expect when we get in to King Salmon on the day before our American Creek float? We are planning on bringing Mountain House meals for about half our food, but want pick up some sandwich meats, burgers/dog/ chicken etc. We will need coffee and all those little ancillary items. Can we get dry ice anywhere in town? Would also like to hear what yuo guys have done to get creative with meal planning.

Also, is there some place in town we can leave ay gear we dont want to bring into the bush with us?

Any info is appreciated.

If I remember correctly, there is an AC store in King Salmon where you can go shopping, but expect to pay higher prices that what you are used to. As for storing you gear, you should be able to do that at your pilot's hangar.

I would do your shopping in Anchorage. Costco!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I would do your shopping in Anchorage. Costco!
    Thanks. Unfortunately that is not an option. We are coming up from Colorado and only have a 2 hour layover in ANC. I understand we will pay higher prices, I just want to make sure we can get everything we need.

As stated, basics will be available in KS, but at higher prices than in Anchorage. Do Not buy stove fuel in Anc, buy it in KS, to save shipping hassles.
    Your flight service should have an area where you can store the stuff you don't want in the bush. you might want to ask them also if the local store will have everything you will need.

I think costco ships to the bush. maybe you could have that done a few days ahead of getting here by shopping online. Just an idea.

If you have not booked a place to stay I highly recommended the Blue Fly B&B, Patricia is an awesome host and she is an awesome fishing guide as well. She was a tremendous help for us on a recent hunting trip there, she even ran us around town to gather up supplies. I'm sure she would be happy to answer questions if you just gave her a call to ask.

http://www.fishbluefly.com/blueflyb&b.html

If you are using Branch River Air to fly you out they have a gear shack to store extra gear in.

Have a great trip
    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I think costco ships to the bush. maybe you could have that done a few days ahead of getting here by shopping online. Just an idea.
    Thanks. I'll look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into it!
    You can also do a bush order that you just pick up or have delivered to your air taxi in ANC. It would be much cheaper to have a courier service drop off your boxes at the hanger in ANC than shipping them to the bush. If you go to this site you can fill out an order form and freddies will box everything up and have it ready to go when you arrive. Much cheaper than buying things in King Salmon. We use this service to provide crews out in the field with food and it has worked well for us. If you have the time you can pick it up from the store or we use Road Runner to bring things down to us and they will drop it off wherever you want.