Thread: Longnose Suckers - Denali Highway

Default Longnose Suckers - Denali Highway

Found a spot full of thousands of longnose suckers up here on the Denali. They were making waves between a couple of lakes and the eagles were feasting. Anyone have a good use for them? Sounds like they compete with the other fish, from what I gathered from the ADF&G website. I was thinking about picking up a bunch for trapping bait and possibly lake trout bait. Any thoughts? It as noted on the ADF&G that people use them for that type of stuff, but was wondering if any of you tried it.

They are a blast to catch on a flyrod!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

That pic is so small I can barely make out what you have in your hand.

out of pure curiosity what fly did you get them to bite? the do fight like hell but I've only ever accidentally snagged them
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

For options being that Alaska Waters for the most part in most places are mostly pure and mostly clean exception Middle Chena in Fairbanks they are very edible. I know I know Heck I don't even eat Salmon most days however growing up we use to smoke sucker be it a long nose sucker or a buffalo sucker and yes they are boney again however they are decent to chow on. In Michigan they smoke them and they also pickle them heck there is an entire fesitval in Omer and they dip net them.

If you happen to be able to score a bunch take a couple and try smoking them I think you might just be suprised. Same goes with Carp a very exceptable fish big white flakes of meat however thank goodness we don't have them bouncing around AK. Funny thing is we are fickle in AK for the most part. White fish in MT are considered trash fish and most people don't chase them in AK. Again and sorry for going back there White Fish from the Great Lakes goes for as much as 8 bucks a lbs.

Sorry up front for the bad pun (but) food for thought.

Have fun they are a hoot. AKPM try snail imitations, and SWM.

Later all

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    out of pure curiosity what fly did you get them to bite? the do fight like hell but I've only ever accidentally snagged them
    I've caught 3-4 of them on beads in the Gulkana right at the outlet of paxson lake. They were all over that area in mid-october.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    I've caught 3-4 of them on beads in the Gulkana right at the outlet of paxson lake. They were all over that area in mid-october.
    What's rainbow fishing like in mid-October on that float?

I've pickled sucker, smoked it and fried it. Pickled is very good; the pike recipe on the fish and game website works ok for them. There's a lot you can do with a smoker, too. Have fun!

KMac - in a word cold. In several words somewhat smelly, kinda smelly, kinda draggen, and kinda fun. Not as hot and heavy as your use too in July. You can expect potential icing issues. I will PM you with a Plan. Matt has been playing up there for a couple of years late.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    What's rainbow fishing like in mid-October on that float?
    Like moose said it can be pretty cold. In my experience the fishing is no better and no worse than any other time of year. I've doneit twice now in my one man cat and last october the wind was blowing so hard that the whitecaps in the river were blowing up and freezing to my body.

This is what my car thermometer read right before my paddle across paxson

This is what my rod looked like most of the trip

Still there is something to be said for having a place all to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Like moose said it can be pretty cold. In my experience the fishing is no better and no worse than any other time of year. I've doneit twice now in my one man cat and last october the wind was blowing so hard that the whitecaps in the river were blowing up and freezing to my body.

This is what my car thermometer read right before my paddle across paxson

This is what my rod looked like most of the trip

Still there is something to be said for having a place all to yourself

Wowzers. Nice pics! Where are the fish?

Thanks for the info! We did eat a couple and they weren't too bad! They were taking wet flies from the bottom. Probably 70 percent were hooked in the mouth where they sucked em off the bottom. We did get a couple taking flies on top, or midwater. Spinners you couldn't even toss out without snagging one. They are hearty fighters! Was a lot of fun, especially for a couple of ladies that had never caught a fish before! I'll be working on smoking some just to see how they turn out!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Where are the fish?
    Few and far between. I was solo and mostly focused on staying warm so did not take many fish shots.