Thread: Dude, seriously the Copper is dangerous!

Default Dude, seriously the Copper is dangerous!

First,my condolences to the family.
    After that I hope any greenhorn, cheechako, newbie that searches copper river comes across this. That river us DANGEROUS! Do not go there without a lifejacket, do not go there without tying off (with a back up tie line). it its not a matter of pride or being comfortable, it is about being able to get your fish home to your family. I am born and raised Alaska and this was the first year i dipped the Chitna, My very first impression was "I'll never come back" we killed fish, 80 reds and three kings in 6 hours of dippin, but i'll never risk it again. We were in a boat, but it wasnt worth it. we LOST three nets and broke another. There were two guys on the shore about 500 yards apart, I drifted the boat between them and we got fish. they were only able to fish within 10 feet of the bank and didnt catch sh^T.
    PLEASE HEED THE WARNINGS IF YOU GO.

You did it once, lol, I bet you go back with a little more understanding at a latter date.

That river gets under your skin.

I said the same thing...6 trips ago.

1st trip was in a boat- hated every minute of it. Scary as crap, broke and lost gear too.

2nd trip was a walk in down the trail. Much more pleasant and it set the tone for all future trips whether by foot, bike or ATV.

You are essentially correct though- that river is dangerous no matter how you access it.

Quote Originally Posted by halibutcollier View Post
    First,my condolences to the family.
    After that I hope any greenhorn, cheechako, newbie that searches copper river comes across this. That river us DANGEROUS! Do not go there without a lifejacket, do not go there without tying off (with a back up tie line). it its not a matter of pride or being comfortable, it is about being able to get your fish home to your family. I am born and raised Alaska and this was the first year i dipped the Chitna, My very first impression was "I'll never come back" we killed fish, 80 reds and three kings in 6 hours of dippin, but i'll never risk it again. We were in a boat, but it wasnt worth it. we LOST three nets and broke another. There were two guys on the shore about 500 yards apart, I drifted the boat between them and we got fish. they were only able to fish within 10 feet of the bank and didnt catch sh^T.
    PLEASE HEED THE WARNINGS IF YOU GO.
    take your skirt of sally and put some britches on and be a big boy!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    take your skirt of sally and put some britches on and be a big boy!
    That my friend, is a ridiculous statement............someone died on that river Thursday, yes he should have had on a lifejacket, but anyone that does not respect that river is a fool.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    That my friend, is a ridiculous statement............someone died on that river Thursday, yes he should have had on a lifejacket, but anyone that does not respect that river is a fool.
    Nah, that's GT3's style. He wouldn't have been "unofficial forum member of the year" 2010 if it weren't for his zany statements.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    That was an "attention getter" as jackie gleason would call it
    Semper Fi!

Yep sure is dangerous, I've found out if it isn't tied down its going to go down river! Put yer britches on after you put on a life vest Tie your self off before going down to the water. I myself use a roofing harness that adjust pretty easy. Trucks, Nets, Fish, Coolers and People might float but not always in the Chitina! May God comfort the family of those lost to this river!!!

An old timer, who ran a fish wheel on the Copper before he died 7 yrs ago, told a story of his dipnetting days when he saw 2 guys lose their footing and fall into the Copper River. One never surfaced. The other, a big guy, climbed out on a rock a short ways downstream, barely able to stand for the weight of all the silt trapped in his clothes. Ben always tied off.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Nah, that's GT3's style. He wouldn't have been "unofficial forum member of the year" 2010 if it weren't for his zany statements.

Tim
    greys zany statements speak volumes, he is forum member of the decade as far as I'm concerned this forum is dang lucky to have him...

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

That river will draw you back. Each time I learn something new. Lift jackets a must...

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    greys zany statements speak volumes, he is forum member of the decade as far as I'm concerned this forum is dang lucky to have him...
    this forum is blessed to have quality members like fullbush and I. we should get free premium memberships for life.
    Semper Fi!