Thread: Seward Fishing

Default Seward Fishing

We are a couple of Navy guys pulling in on the weekend of the 25th. We are both avid anglers, but we are a little out of our element. We are looking to do some salmon fishing the first couple days. We also would like to stay in a campground the night of the 25th. We have heard a lot about the Spring Creek Campground off of Nash road. Is this a good place to camp and fish? The next day we have to work. Then we are looking to do some trout/salmon fishing possibly with a guide on a drift boat. Can you guys help us out?

I dont know much about the peninsula but you arent far from a lot of fishing. Im trying to set something up down there for the same weekend and another member here suggested the Kasilof for reds and kings. The russian seems to be really hot for reds right now too.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonc37 View Post
    We are a couple of Navy guys pulling in on the weekend of the 25th. We are both avid anglers, but we are a little out of our element. We are looking to do some salmon fishing the first couple days. We also would like to stay in a campground the night of the 25th. We have heard a lot about the Spring Creek Campground off of Nash road. Is this a good place to camp and fish? The next day we have to work. Then we are looking to do some trout/salmon fishing possibly with a guide on a drift boat. Can you guys help us out?
    Have you considered using the camping facilities at the Army and the Air Force Rec camps there in Seward..?? They also run charters but it's been too long since I was familiar with their operations... but it would be a good place to obtain some information... Good Fishing..! John (USN ret)

I haven't used the campground on Nash rd. There used to be a campground down at the other end of Seward that we used. It was a MWR facility. MWR may also have info/military rates for guides in the Seward area. Nash Rd would definitely be the place for DIY sockeye fishing.

The area off Nash road is a parking lot. I think it's $5 for parking, but was told this last friday it was $15 for camping though the night. I was told the camping area is the RV area before town (and nash road) on the hwy that has the pond in front.
    I fished there from 9pm to 6am on friday/saturday night. I got skunked. I saw a couple fish caught but it was very slow. I've gone there 4 times this year, and fished about 45 hours and so far have caught nothing. I have had friends go a day before or after and limit out. It's that kind of fishery. For now if you fish there, 10pm to 6am is the commercial closure unless that's changed. I still would fish as many tides as you can, as it's a timing thing. In one tide it can be red hot.
    Others have mentioned that military campground. There are a lot of others. If you have an RV you could stay in it while camping/parking/fishing off Nash in that huge lot. I just stay in my truck when I do sleep, but mainly I just fish.

I would think about hitting the Russian even if you stay in seward. it's not far, and might have better fishing. I did have a friend fish the russian river (not the confluence)today (6/20) and he didn't catch anything.

Anyway good luck!! it's all timing/luck anyway, and putting in the hours to catch fish. You should have a good time no matter what...........this is alaska. Good luck and tight lines!