Thread: What's the best stock "Bedding" product.....?

Default What's the best stock "Bedding" product.....?

What is the best product for bedding a Winchester Composite stock.......? I have mostly used Micro-bed or Accu-glass in the past. Wondering whats new and gooder........?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is the best product for bedding a Winchester Composite stock.......? I have mostly used Micro-bed or Accu-glass in the past. Wondering whats new and gooder........?
    I once used Acra-glas (original, gel & steel bed) and then I switched to Marine-Tex which was better. Several years ago I switched to Devcon 10110 and have never looked back. It has immeasurable shrinkage, sets up like concrete, is the consistency of peanut butter and does not harden so fast that it is difficult to use. I normally bed the barreled action in the stock, let it set 4-5 hours, remove the action from the stock and use a razor blade to trim any excess away while it is still pliable. It is 75% cured in 16 hours (per instructions), fully cured and ready to shoot after 2 days (personal experience). I've got at least 6 rifles bedded with 10110 (270, 7 STW, 300 WM, 338 WM, 340 Bee, 416 RM) and have done a few dozen more for others with nary a problem or complaint. FWIW, I use Kiwi-neutral shoe polish for release agent.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

What type of place would have this product..........in Los Anchorage.......??? Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What type of place would have this product..........in Los Anchorage.......??? Thanks for the information.
    I haven't bought any in ANC; in fact I've only bought it online. Midway normally keeps it in stock and they ship in flat rate boxes so that doesn't kill us AK folks. I would suspect that an industrial supply store would keep it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I haven't bought any in ANC; in fact I've only bought it online. Midway normally keeps it in stock and they ship in flat rate boxes so that doesn't kill us AK folks. I would suspect that an industrial supply store would keep it in stock.
    Thanks..........Good info.

Thanks for the update. I used to use the Herter's stuff then accurglass but I liked the Herter's the best. I've got several guns I need to do now so time to get updated.

I've always used the orginal Johnson's Paste in the yellow metal can as release the compound. Cheap but don't know if you can still get it. It also left a good rust proof coating on the steel. I use the thick clear scotch packaging sealing tape on the barrel where I want to free float it - it leaves a nice consistant clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I once used Acra-glas (original, gel & steel bed) and then I switched to Marine-Tex which was better. Several years ago I switched to Devcon 10110 and have never looked back. It has immeasurable shrinkage, sets up like concrete, is the consistency of peanut butter and does not harden so fast that it is difficult to use. I normally bed the barreled action in the stock, let it set 4-5 hours, remove the action from the stock and use a razor blade to trim any excess away while it is still pliable. It is 75% cured in 16 hours (per instructions), fully cured and ready to shoot after 2 days (personal experience). I've got at least 6 rifles bedded with 10110 (270, 7 STW, 300 WM, 338 WM, 340 Bee, 416 RM) and have done a few dozen more for others with nary a problem or complaint. FWIW, I use Kiwi-neutral shoe polish for release agent.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Score High Gunsmithing in Prescott AZ sells bedding kits for a reasonable fee that are heads above acraglass - I'm told Devcon aluminum works well too though I've not tried the stuff - they also sell single shot followers for bolt guns

I've heard good things about Devcon Plastic Steel Putty, so I ordered the 2 oz. size for $8.99 from Midway USA online. I got to checkout, and they tacked on a $32.50 HAZMAT fee. How do you get the flat-rate shipping? Is that something that requires a phone call? I'd really like to try something other than Accraglass. I've been looking around Fairbanks but haven't found Devcon for sale there yet.

Another question: If you order the big 1 lb. tub of Devcon Plastic Steel Putty, can you use a bit for one job, and store the rest for future projects? Thanks.

Yes you can store the extra. Odd about the 2 oz size, I just ordered a 1 lb tub from midway not a month ago and they shipped USPS just like anything else. I too have been unable to find any locally.

You can find Devcon Aluminum and Steel putty in Fairbanks, at Alaska rubber and rigging on the east end of Van Horn Road.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

You will find not much of anything will stock to the composite stocks.

I use Acra-glass and mix in stainless-steel nano-powder. Very hard, very durable. Marine-Tex is popular with benchrest 'smiths.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks gunbugs. AK Rubber is now on my Friday-after-work list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You will find not much of anything will stock to the composite stocks.

I use Acra-glass and mix in stainless-steel nano-powder. Very hard, very durable. Marine-Tex is popular with benchrest 'smiths.
    Some injection molded stocks are problematic to bed, but preparing the inletting by first removing a significant amount of material, scuffing the stock or even drilling holes in the bedding area can help create mechanical locks for the compound and I've not found a stock material I couldn't bed using one or more of these techniques. I still use Devcon regardless the stock composition. IMO the only advantage of other bedding materials is their ease of removal should you someday desire to bed another action or recoil lug in that stock, or using an epoxy that is lighter for certain applications.

Checked everywhere for Devcon including Alaska rubber Anchorage and Fairbanks, but found it at Anchorage Grainger in 1lb tubs, In Stock. Also I have since seen on another page that someone said Great Northern Guns has it, but can not confirm.