Thread: Palmer Creek & Black Bears

Default Palmer Creek & Black Bears

We went back Palmer Creek for the first time this year for a bike ride. I counted 9 piles of bear poop on the road "Before" the start of the switchbacks and only two piles from the switchbacks to the end of the valley. Saw one Mt. Goat in the very back, and two black bears on the high side of the road, one just after the 110 degree turn at the end of the switchbacks the other was a mile further near the trail up to Nearhouse Mine. They were just feeding, I was in the passengers seat just looking at open areas, no binoculars.

We have some serious Moose hunting to do back there in seven weeks, so get those bears dead. (If your wondering what the point of this post is.......well hunt the bears where they poop because that is where they is eating, My feeling is most hunt the very back of the valley, and most of the bears are in the front of the valley). There was "NO" poop on the road past Nearhouse Mine.

is'nt that drainage closed to moose hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    is'nt that drainage closed to moose hunting?
    Yes It Was........for the last 40 plus years. You did buy one of those super cheap lots in Hope that the Government sold in January........right....? Well there will be a special "Subsistence" for residents starting August 10'th this is top secret so don't tell anyone. I keep telling you guys DON"T fight the system. Just be a resident where it is prudent to be a resident.

Owning a lot in a "rural" area does not make you a resident of that area. The special "subsistence" hunt will be a federal hunt I suspect, thus only open to "rural" residents. Also, only federal land will be available to hunt. Private property is not federal land and thus not a legal area to hunt.
    But it's always good to thin the bear pop.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Owning a lot in a "rural" area does not make you a resident of that area. The special "subsistence" hunt will be a federal hunt I suspect, thus only open to "rural" residents. Also, only federal land will be available to hunt. Private property is not federal land and thus not a legal area to hunt.
    But it's always good to thin the bear pop.
    Yes, Palmer Creek is Chugach National Forest.